Cheap New Dual Sports - Which One Would You Buy? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheap New Dual Sports - Which One Would You Buy?

If you're thinking of the WR 250, then yes, you'd be correct.

He surely is, the problem is cost and not too many used around priced right ... new, they are 7K OTD ... not many people willing to pay that price for low strung 250, albeit street legal. But I like the bike for off-roading, not so much for street riding to get to trails.

Last edited:
I love me a Husky!

Why is the Husky not listed, in your footer?? It surely deserves the place ... LOL ... What Husky do you actually have?

BTW, I am working on my hitch/trailer situation .... once I am set, we can go riding, as you offered in one of your other posts. I will send you a message. I cannot always go to Ganaraska, so this would do as much closer venue to my place (apologies to OP for a bit of thread hijacking ...)

Why is the Husky not listed, in your footer?? It surely deserves the place ... LOL ... What Husky do you actually have?

BTW, I am working on my hitch/trailer situation .... once I am set, we can go riding, as you offered in one of your other posts. I will send you a message. I cannot always go to Ganaraska, so this would do as much closer venue to my place (apologies to OP for a bit of thread hijacking ...)

I contemplated buying the FE 350 when I bought my KLX. But price, and to a certain extent, maintenance concerns, changed my mind. I was able to walk in and pay cash for my KLX, but couldn't have for the Husky. It is a fantastic bike, just didn't want a loan on something I was going to beat up. Plus I'm lazy, and would rather ride my bike, than wrench on it. I've been able to spend some time on a TE 250, and an FE 250. Both great bikes! Light and crazy fast!

Whenever you're ready for a ride, I'm in. I've been riding at night a lot lately. It's quite fun!

I contemplated buying the FE 350 when I bought my KLX. But price, and to a certain extent, maintenance concerns, changed my mind. I was able to walk in and pay cash for my KLX, but couldn't have for the Husky. It is a fantastic bike, just didn't want a loan on something I was going to beat up. Plus I'm lazy, and would rather ride my bike, than wrench on it. I've been able to spend some time on a TE 250, and an FE 250. Both great bikes! Light and crazy fast!

Whenever you're ready for a ride, I'm in. I've been riding at night a lot lately. It's quite fun!

Funny you mention FE390 .... That was sort of a bike I was looking for, good power and not so crazy maintenance like the full blown mx bikes. When I saw one used and blue plated for sale I pulled the trigger quickly ...

I am off for a vacation but when I get back, end of July, we will hook up for a ride, I am sure.

OP = you seem not to have off road experience given comments like Grom or TW200.

Off pavement ( dual track forest trails ) and gravel roads are very different than single track mud rocks and trees.

If you want to do this

through water and mud, rough terrain,

You need to be very careful you get something that can ....and it's not a Grom or TW200.

WR250 is fine,,the Honda and Suzuki.

WE just bough two of these

ZTT250-Old-2.jpg

for your description - about $3500 shipped to you with warranty.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/CSC-TT-250-p/ztt250.htm

^is that bike above legal in Canada?
Yes it is. But I can guarantee that a tw200 is a better bike, and will go through more of the rough stuff and last longer doing it. I won't even mention resale

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

OP = you seem not to have off road experience given comments like Grom or TW200.

Off pavement ( dual track forest trails ) and gravel roads are very different than single track mud rocks and trees.

If you want to do this

You need to be very careful you get something that can ....and it's not a Grom or TW200.

ZTT250-Old-2.jpg

2200$ US? All I have to say is "you get what you pay for!

If you want to do this

Off road on a bike? None really. Off road in general? Tons. I've been ATVing since I was 9.

What's the downside of a TW200 or an off road fitted Grom for dirt?
The one upside of a Grom in my books is that insurance would be like $600/year for it, while the others would be at least double. Doesn't make it any better off road, just cheaper all round.

I'm leaning towards the Honda now, with the Grom as a close second. Buying new that is.

Not interested in a CSC bike. Cool for what they are, but I'd rather spend the extra money.

DRZ is too nice for me to dump it off road, which is inevitable.

Groms are basically expendable.

What's the downside of a TW200 or an off road fitted Grom for dirt?

Suspension, mostly. The Grom has 4" of suspension travel, the TW has about 6". I think your DRz has something like 10". And the suspension is going to be really cheap on both. If all you want to do is ride casually on smooth ATV trails it won't be an issue, but if you want to do gnarlier stuff involving rocks and logs you'll quickly find yourself bottoming out the suspension and bashing the underside of the bike.

I like the idea of the Grom around town, but the little 12" wheels won't be much fun in sand or mud, and the exhaust pipe is very vulnerable if you want to cross logs or rocks.

You might also consider a used CRF230L rather than the CRF250L. The 250L weighs as much as your DRz, while the 230L is 50lbs lighter.

I just keep thinking that your DRz is still fairly comparable to most of these smaller dual sport choices, and that no matter how much you drop it, you'd have to try really hard to spend $5000 on bodywork, handlebars and turn signals. It is heavy for gnarly stuff, but so is the CRF250L.

I saw a guy with knobby dual sport tires on a DRz400 supermoto in Ganaraska the other day and he looked like he was having fun.

You can offroad anything and have fun. My QA50 honda saw 15,000kms all offroad with 0 suspension, the CT70 did about 10,000. Bikes are a million times better now, and I'd buy a low cost anything and go have fun.
All the adventure guys preach you need at least 1200cc and a 30k budget to go trailing, then you cant pick it up alone (or an 800 fully luggaged) , you cant get it out of mud and if you loose it on a hill its a $2k crash.
Go buy a 'nice enough' bike and go riding.

Sure you can ride dirt with anything ... With some bikes it will just be zero fun with other bikes a lot of fun.

I am shocked the people are willing to go dirt biking with mini bikes .... I mean there's a reason for large wheels and long suspension travel, these are not just sow fancy bits most decent dirt bikes have.

Used CRF or new Grom or CCS bike? I know what I would get if that is my budget.

I'll just leave this here
67de46904c49d271af12d28eed13bbfa.jpg

I'll just leave this here
67de46904c49d271af12d28eed13bbfa.jpg

It's all in the rider. I routinely out ride a guy on a KTM 500exc-f with my lowly klx 250. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

Back
Top Bottom