Couldn't get a boost to save my life | GTAMotorcycle.com

Couldn't get a boost to save my life

slowbird

Long story short, after riding all day I stop for fuel. Bike won't start. Battery is flat. I push the bike away from the pumps to be considerate of others that may need it and take the solo cowl and seat off to get at the battery. Connections are good. It's making the click/buzzing sound that leads me to believe me its the battery. Don't see where I could bump start it and it doesn't sound like the Fuel pump is priming anyways. (damn FI bikes :mad:)

It's well past 1am in Parkdale and only Cabbies are filling up. I very politely start asking for a boost.

First cabbie has a Hybrid and says he can't. I tell him it's no problem. I thank him and move to the only other cabbie there.

He says he may have booster cables but he's gonna have to charge me money for a boost. I'm completely floored by this.
"I'm sorry, are you saying you won't give me a boost unless I give you money?" I ask.

He tells me a tow will cost more so take it or leave it. I'm totally gobsmacked. I tell him I'll leave it and I thank him for his kindness.

I call CAA and they tell me they don't boost Motorcycles. I tell them with the $$ I pay for the premier membership they better start boosting Motorcycles. They dispatch a regular tow to try and boost me and a flatbed incase they can't boost it but both are 1.5 hours away. :rolleyes:

I'm tempted to take an Uber (cause **** cab drivers) to my house down the street where I stupidly left my Antigravity Microstart battery, but the 2 Ubers I requested cancelled while they were enroute. Just my luck.

I ask a few more passerbys. Most don't want or don't have cables....or they are cabbies that want money. The gas station attendant doesn't seem to give a **** and says he'll sell me cables. A guy in a Civic didn't have cables either, but was hanging out in the Parking lot and was getting more and more surprised how ****** the cabbies were being.

I don't wanna sound like a "hippie" but where the hell is the want to help someone in need?

Last edited:
I would have helped if I had seen ya, but on a side note, it can be a bad idea to boost someone from a modern car.

My buddy's wife boosted someone not long ago and ended up frying one of the on board computers which ended up costing more than $700 to replace.

After hearing that (and similar stories) I now carry a booster pack in the car in case I or someone else needs a boost.

I carry this, but there are cheaper options:

81NSatLsz1L._SY355_.jpg

I pulled into a stripmall parking lot once and noticed this hot young lady, in short shorts, looking at the open hood of her car. Unfortunately, she walked over to another guy and asked him for a boost. Luckily enough he told her "sorry..." - so I was over there in a flash. Hooked up my cables and that's when I almost died... right at that time, my wife walked out of the bank.

Yeah I think a lot of it is the "fear" of ruining ones vehicle by stories of people jump starting other vehicles improperly and damaging stuff.

Doesn't excuse the money hungry cabbies though.

Long gone.

Yeah. Tell me about it.

I pulled into a stripmall parking lot once and noticed this hot young lady, in short shorts, looking at the open hood of her car. Unfortunately, she walked over to another guy and asked him for a boost. Luckily enough he told her "sorry..." - so I was over there in a flash. Hooked up my cables and that's when I almost died... right at that time, my wife walked out of the bank.

lmao!

did you try to bump start it, that should have gotten you home

yeah, cabs want $20 for a boost
prey on you when you need it right...

next time just tell caa you need a truck, having bike issues
when driver comes just boost it

oh, sometimes ppl post up here for immediate small help like you needed and some folks show up/ live close by and they come by to help.

I would have helped if I had seen ya, but on a side note, it can be a bad idea to boost someone from a modern car.

My buddy's wife boosted someone not long ago and ended up frying one of the on board computers which ended up costing more than $700 to replace.

After hearing that (and similar stories) I now carry a booster pack in the car in case I or someone else needs a boost.

I carry this, but there are cheaper options:where

81NSatLsz1L._SY355_.jpg

where did you get this unit from and the price?

how often do you have to charge the pack, I presume it drains slowly as it sits?

Odd...didn't know CAA won't attempt to boost a bike, even if you have CAA Plus. I'd figure at the very least for the price of membership, they'd send a truck with jumper cables, the same way they'd send one with gas.

Out of interest, why did you say you couldn't push start it? I've had to do that twice, and you really only need maybe 20 feet max (so long as it is 'safe' if the bike somehow gets away from you).

did you try to bump start it, that should have gotten you home

I mentioned that in my original post. :rolleyes:

next time just tell caa you need a truck, having bike issues
when driver comes just boost it

I don't see how that would change the outcome of What CAA sent. Did you fully read my first post? They sent me 2 trucks. One to boost and one to Tow.

sometimes ppl post up here for immediate small help like you needed and some folks show up/ live close by and they come by to help.

I wasn't gonna put anyone out.

Out of interest, why did you say you couldn't push start it? I've had to do that twice, and you really only need maybe 20 feet max (so long as it is 'safe' if the bike somehow gets away from you).

The parking lot surface was crappy. Very uneven and bumpy and pot holes filled with sand. The bike is waaaay to heavy for me to try and bump start on a level, uneven, deteriorating surface.

Also, the fuel pump wasn't priming (dead battery) so I wasn't sure it would work. If I had a slope I would have tried for ***** and giggles.

I've bump started carb'd bikes tons of times but this is my first FI bike and have been told that if the Fuel Pump isn't priming chances are it won't bump start :dontknow:

Last edited:
This is what happens when you cram people together like rats in a cage. Everybody gets passive aggressive. I'm sure in a different time and place the cabbie would have washed your feet. I think that's why Britain left the EU.

I have the same Genius Boost GB40 battery booster as Motorcycle Mike ... actually have one in the saddle bags and one in the truck. I've boosted a HD Sportster and a Ford F150 with it... the F150 guys laughed at the small size of it when I walked over but were pretty happy when their truck started. They are on sale at Canadian Tire this week for $125.
I recharge mine about once a month just to top it up but it still has lots of charge left. In the winter I bring the truck one inside every night just to ensure it will have full boosting power.

Half the time (all the time?) if you jump start an FI bike, it will stall as soon as you pull the cables anyway... unless you're giving it throttle while you close up the bike and get it in motion

Too funny, Just the type of cra$ I get into all the time.

Half the time (all the time?) if you jump start an FI bike, it will stall as soon as you pull the cables anyway... unless you're giving it throttle while you close up the bike and get it in motion

Yeah I was keeping the revs up for a bit hoping the Stator would charge up the battery but I couldn't keep the revs up and close up the bike at the same time so it died again. Battery was toast. When I took it home even the charger couldn't get it above 12v

Last edited:
CAA, best insurance available for this type of situation. Broke a rear tire valve down in PA, called AAA with my CAA info, Flatbed picked up bike delivered me to the nearest Kawi dealership, valve replaced. Back on the road.

CAA, best insurance available for this type of situation. Broke a rear tire valve down in PA, called AAA with my CAA info, Flatbed picked up bike delivered me to the nearest Kawi dealership, valve replaced. Back on the road.

He tried CAA and they didn't seem very helpful.

Sorry my bad, Seems like CAA Toronto is not set up very well for bikes. My experience down in the states was great. Took a little while for them to come out and get me but the service from there was terrific. This almost seems like something the GTAM should lobby CAA to get their act together.

He tried CAA and they didn't seem very helpful.

It's funny, but I just took a long trip to the U.S. during which I stopped many times at the side of the road to change gloves, jacket, take pics. I was asked several times by passers by if everything was OK, or if I needed help. In Canada nobody seems to care anymore. I think I boosted two people this year so far. I don't even think twice about it.

Back
Top Bottom