Acl tear and motorcycles? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Acl tear and motorcycles?

looplise

I was injured from a sporting event last month and I recently found out I had torn my acl.

My mobility is coming back through physio and at home exercises, where I am strengthen the muscles around the acl for a quicker post surgery recovery.

In the meantime, is it possible to ride? I know it's best to ask my surgeon, but I am still waiting on an appointment to be scheduled so I figured I'd each out to you lovely folks. Has anyone ever done it?

It's my first year riding this year. Having invested so much time and money only to be out for the rest of season is quite unfortunate.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

i doubt it, but it would depend on a few things:
- are you're on pain killers?
- how much weight you can take through your leg
- how steady is your leg with weight on it (i.e. does it tend to want to give out)
- how aggressive do you lean (i.e. does your knee get painful as you lean onto it around a corner)
- how willing are you to accept an even greater injury in the event of a crash or spill

Claimer: I'm no doctor. If you ever had to put the offending leg out for support it could easily buckle. Beyond that obvious problem you would also risk doing additional damage to the knee by taking it beyond it's intended range of motion. How badly do you want to chance tearing it up even more before the surgery? That answer might depend on how big, deep and many tattoos you have presently because #yolo. At a minimum get a knee brace.

don't know your age - but missing one year of riding out of hopefully many years still to come is a small price to pay to ensure a full recovery.

As others have said, don't ride. You risk permanently wrecking your knee if you do not give it enough time to heal. Tendons and ligaments heal slowly, much more slowly than muscle. At the very least wait until your consult and ask the doc.

There will be lots of time for riding, and yes, it is terrible that you must wait but life is like that. Don't make a bad situation worse.

A knee brace will protect medial lateral movement. There is a hinge so you can bend your knee, in the anterior posterior direction. The knee brace is not sufficiently exact enough to prevent small anterior posterior movement, enough to protect your injured/torn ACL.

I'd still consider myself young so all your comments and questions make very much sense and making me think otherwise about getting back on this year.

Now... To sell my bike and try to make back my money or keep it for next year. Is it a good time to sell a starter bike?

If you're not desperate for cash then keep the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...Now... To sell my bike and try to make back my money or keep it for next year. Is it a good time to sell a starter bike?

Now is a great time to sell your bike, as this is high season. You might even make a small profit. You also will not need to store the bike over the winter. You can cancel your insurance and save.

Rest & Rehab get my vote. ONLY potential exception to this if it were me, would be if it was my right leg, as I never put that foot down since I can't flat foot the bike (I think in the the last 4.5 years, I've maybe used that leg on the bike a total of 5-10 times). Any time I've hurt my left leg doing something, I keep myself off the bike just as a safety precaution.

Also, bit of a tangent but this thread and a few others made me think -- How does insurance handle stuff like this? When people are injured typically they can still drive, and if they get in an accident and car is damaged/totalled, they typically get another in short order. With a bike however, if someone is in your situation they might be out for half or the full year. Same for a friend of mine who was cut off by a left turner, and broke their leg in the process. Does insurance let you switch to fire & theft only since there is no way to actually use the vehicle (motorcycle) anymore? It would suck having to pay for full insurance if there was no way to ride the repaired or replacement vehicle until the following year.

Rest & Rehab get my vote. ONLY potential exception to this if it were me, would be if it was my right leg, as I never put that foot down since I can't flat foot the bike (I think in the the last 4.5 years, I've maybe used that leg on the bike a total of 5-10 times). Any time I've hurt my left leg doing something, I keep myself off the bike just as a safety precaution.

Also, bit of a tangent but this thread and a few others made me think -- How does insurance handle stuff like this? When people are injured typically they can still drive, and if they get in an accident and car is damaged/totalled, they typically get another in short order. With a bike however, if someone is in your situation they might be out for half or the full year. Same for a friend of mine who was cut off by a left turner, and broke their leg in the process. Does insurance let you switch to fire & theft only since there is no way to actually use the vehicle (motorcycle) anymore? It would suck having to pay for full insurance if there was no way to ride the repaired or replacement vehicle until the following year.
Acl tear in my right leg. However, I am short and I tippy toe so as I thought about it more, I'd have a rough time backing up the bike on the bike or off the bike.

Acl tear in my right leg. However, I am short and I tippy toe so as I thought about it more, I'd have a rough time backing up the bike on the bike or off the bike.

Sorry I'm not current with your file, are you up and walking around these days? If so, the first time you misstep or do something normal like lean into a ring toss at the county fair and your leg gives out, well, then you'll have your answer. After my ACL tear I could appear normal in most day to day circumstances but every once in a while she'd let go, blowing my cover. In the process probably doing a bit more damage. So I wore a knee brace which loses it's charm rather quickly except for the time the jump instructor grabbed my leg and felt hard carbon fibre under my pant leg and thought I had an artificial leg, as I found out later. Anyway, it took two years to get in for reconstruction (Dr Bruce Ogilvie the best) and it's been fantastic. So that's the good news.

Sorry I'm not current with your file, are you up and walking around these days? If so, the first time you misstep or do something normal like lean into a ring toss at the county fair and your leg gives out, well, then you'll have your answer. After my ACL tear I could appear normal in most day to day circumstances but every once in a while she'd let go, blowing my cover. In the process probably doing a bit more damage. So I wore a knee brace which loses it's charm rather quickly except for the time the jump instructor grabbed my leg and felt hard carbon fibre under my pant leg and thought I had an artificial leg, as I found out later. Anyway, it took two years to get in for reconstruction (Dr Bruce Ogilvie the best) and it's been fantastic. So that's the good news.
Haha, I can only imagine the face of your instructor grabbed your leg.

I am walking but it aches after 5mins of walking as there is still swelling within the knee, so I'm walking with a cane long distances but I'm okay on my own short distances. Never would I ever thought I'd have to walk with a cane at 27 years old. Then again we never think anything bad will happen when it does.

I hope my surgery wait will not be long. I'd like to get back into sports rehab so I can get back into sports. I canceled my insurance in the meantime. If summer comes around next year and I still haven't had surgery, it's good to know that riding may be an option with a brace if the muscles around my knee will be strong enough by then.

it would depend on how thorough your insurance claims adjuster is. If they found out that you were not medically fit to operate a motorcycle (they will obtain all your medical records if you file a claim) they could deny your claim.

Also, I'm not aware of any insurance company that would let you keep only fire and theft on a plated street bike.

Back
Top Bottom