QEW H.O.T lane | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

QEW H.O.T lane

Take that line of motorcycles and distribute them all on the current lanes occupied by cars, every time you move a motorcycle from the splitting lane into a car lane, one of the cars has to move back ... at the end, the traffic jam is considerably longer FOR EVERYONE including cars.

I am not sure how people can not understand this?

circulationinterfiles-592x394.jpg

This is on the concept of people saying that lane splitting is selfish and self centered and has no consequence on traffic.

Do not reply with the regular "in toronto this will never work" etc jargon

On the topic of HOV or HOT and Motorcycles

During the Panam Games I used the DVP a few times, the space that would have been occupied by my motorcycle in traffic coming north was free because I was able to instead be home, freeing that space for a car to move forward and occupy, also not sure how people don't understand that.

But In the GTA it is all about "ME" so when someone is in traffic and see someone by passing that traffic, they get furious even if the end result is that I am helping them get home earlier

By the way, when I decide to take my big *** jeep on the road instead of my motorcycle, I am happy to accept that others will get home earlier than me.

Last edited:
I am not sure how people can not understand this?

It's about emotion and rationalizing, not a failure to understand. People who are too scared to do this and can barely keep their machine on the road to begin with don't like the idea of other people doing it either...rather than admit this to themselves they find and invent reasons why splitting is "dangerous" or "wouldn't work".

Others are LEOs who have been parroting the government narrative for so long that their brain has stopped being able to process anything outside of it.

The rest of us - the middle aged guys who are far too old to be part of the "FTP" youngster crowd who hate any form of authority and too young to get fat (metaphorically fat if not physically) and buy cruisers/tourers are left scratching our heads at both groups.

Because it simply isn't true...once you're moving at highway speed space concerns are irrelevant...it's during times of congestion where vehicles are bumper to bumper (and bikes can move somewhat beside each other) where the advantages exist.

Doing your little "thought experiments" in your head does not negate research that states like California have done before deciding to allow motorcycles to use the HOV.

HOV and HOT lanes are about moving more vehicles in the same space...that is the reason they exist, and moving motorcycles into these lanes helps make it happen...it isn't about us it's about everyone.

I'm happy to help educate people while I have some patience to respond in these threads, but that patience has limits and that is why the tone of my posts can be sardonic and insulting at times...if you're too dumb to understand why bikes should go in the HOT chances are I probably can't help you understand anyway.

In consolation I would say don't worry, if we encounter each other in person during a ride or something I would say the same thing in the same tone and spirit as any post I make on this board.

speaking of California here are some reading you guys might find interesting

https://www.metro.net/projects/hov/hov_faq/
check out point 19

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-motorcycles-in-carpool-lanes-20140922-story.html
If we can get the MTO let motorcycle use the HOT with a single rider, next we can try to MTO let motorcycle use the 407 free

just got this today. It may be what we didn't want to hear or heard already but if more people get behind this we can turn the No to Maybe and eventually Yes. everyone's opinion is welcomed because it moves the discussion along much more further

Thank you for your email regarding the High-Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes pilot project.

The Government of Ontario introduced High-Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes on provincial highways to better manage congestion by moving people in fewer vehicles. Designating the HOV lanes on the QEW as HOT lanes will further help manage congestion, provide more choice for travellers, and complement our transit investments.

Cars, motorcycles, vans and light trucks carrying two or more passengers can still use HOT lanes for free, while single occupant drivers will now have the option to purchase a HOT permit to use them.

At this time, there are no plans to provide single-rider motorcycles with free access to HOT lanes. However, we will be studying motorcycle use along the corridor as part of the pilot to help inform long-term planning of HOT lanes in the region.

To learn more about Ontario’s new HOT lanes pilot project, visit www.Ontario.ca/HOTlanes.

Thank you again for your email.

Sincerely,

The HOT Pilot Team

HOT Lanes Pilot Office Bureau du Projet pilote des VMOT
Ministry of Transportation Ministère des Transports
18th Floor, Suite 1802 18[SUP]e[/SUP] étage, suite 1802
393 University Avenue 393, avenue University
Toronto, Ontario Toronto (Ontario)
M5G 1E6 M5G 1E6
hotpilot@ontario.ca hotpilot@ontario.ca

We have read that, same canned response others in this forum got.

But good on you for at least trying

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk

Once a bike gets moving at highway speeds, it's lane space requirement (including safe following distance behind the vehicle ahead) is essentially the same as that of an SUV. Even your afore-mentioned supposed retards are able to recognize this. Why don't you?

easy problem to solve for us...self help
get a few bikes on hot days
let's hope they don't magically break down or have low tire pressures causing the riders to stop across the roads (all lanes right of HOV/HOT lanes)...that would really be unlucky to have 3 or 4 bikes break down and block all the lanes except the HOV lanes....because those bikes could not make it to the left shoulder.

easy problem to solve for us...self help
get a few bikes on hot days
let's hope they don't magically break down or have low tire pressures causing the riders to stop across the roads (all lanes right of HOV/HOT lanes)...that would really be unlucky to have 3 or 4 bikes break down and block all the lanes except the HOV lanes....because those bikes could not make it to the left shoulder.

No help needed for us riding air/oil cooled bikes. Just give me a hot day and hwy with bumper to bumper slow moving traffic and my bike will take care of breaking down on its own. This is why I actively use the HOV and will split when it gets to that point. Thank you ZX600 and unfaZed for you points, I wish there were more of you.

No help needed for us riding air/oil cooled bikes. Just give me a hot day and hwy with bumper to bumper slow moving traffic and my bike will take care of breaking down on its own. This is why I actively use the HOV and will split when it gets to that point. Thank you ZX600 and unfaZed for you points, I wish there were more of you.
I think theres a single word that should convince anyone during hot summer days to allow it.

Heatstroke.

I think theres a single word that should convince anyone during hot summer days to allow it.

Heatstroke.

Self-interest is what motivates people rather than empathy - if we were ever going to truly convince Ontarians that motorcycles should use the HOT lanes free or the HOV lanes with a single rider we need to clearly demonstrate the benefits for them (not us)...but judging from some of the simpler views of even riders on this board I don't think it's doable in the current social climate.

Self-interest is what motivates people rather than empathy - if we were ever going to truly convince Ontarians that motorcycles should use the HOT lanes free or the HOV lanes with a single rider we need to clearly demonstrate the benefits for them (not us)...but judging from some of the simpler views of even riders on this board I don't think it's doable in the current social climate.

Don't let that clique dissuade you. They're just an overly vocal minority here. There are plenty on this site who would surely welcome this, but refrain from getting into the discussion due to said clique's penchant for the flame.

Back
Top Bottom