QEW H.O.T lane | GTAMotorcycle.com

QEW H.O.T lane

justride

fellow riders
As some of you know, the provincial is on trail bases implementing the H.O.T lane on the QEW similar to HOV lane during the Pan Am games. I encourage you to call/email your local MPP, The Ontario MinisterTransportation Honourable Steven Del Duca [FONT=arial, sans-serif] and the Premier of Ontario, Kathleen Wynne.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Let them know that motorcycles should be allowed on the H.O.T without paying the toll same as
the vehicles with green license plates. Since the H.O.T is in the planning stages now, its a great opportunity
for you as motorcyclist to have your say.

regards,
[/FONT]
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/2016/06/23/toll-lanes-coming-to-qew-on-sept-15.html

It was my understanding that these lanes on the QEW were going to be tolled.
That you had to pay to use them.

It was my understanding that these lanes on the QEW were going to be tolled.
That you had to pay to use them.
They will be tolled IF you don't have a passenger or an electric car. This won't happen for motorcycles. They are going to take the insurance train of thought and say if you got money for a bike you got money to give us.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

They will be tolled IF you don't have a passenger or an electric car. This won't happen for motorcycles. They are going to take the insurance train of thought and say if you got money for a bike you got money to give us.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Sad but true.. Even though bikes can cost 1/10 of what a car costs...

They won't even allow us in HOV lanes. It would be great but I doubt they will give up the extra possible revenue.

They allow motorcycles. Just have a passenger.

They allow motorcycles. Just have a passenger.

Damn, and I thought this thread was talking about solo riders being allowed.

So you see nothing wrong with green plated cars being allowed with only one person but bikes are not? Or the safety of having "controlled" entry and exit points.

So you see nothing wrong with green plated cars being allowed with only one person but bikes are not? Or the safety of having "controlled" entry and exit points.

Green plated cars have better emissions.
Also it isn't about safety, as the tolls clearly indicate, it's $afety.

Op didn't specify so, I clarified.

It's been discussed before in regards to hov lanes and allowing motorcycles. Folks have gone to the province with their objections and received a response.

Other than the fatigue of sitting in traffic and baking in the sun, don't see any argument for motorcyclist to have the right over any other vehicles.

I have my issues with "green" vehicles but, there isn't enough of them to really complain about.

Should bikes be allowed on hot or hov lanes? Sure. It would be nice.

But, I don't have any arguments to justify other than I ride and want to.

So, grab a passenger and go. Or apply, maybe get approved and pay for the privilege.

I'd rather ride anywhere but on 400 series hwys anyways. Unless I really have to. And then, I prefer the cage.

Makes it hard to believe they opened up the HOV lanes during the Pan Am games to motorcycles as well. Someone was in a good mood.

Green plated cars have better emissions.
Also it isn't about safety, as the tolls clearly indicate, it's $afety.

Just so you are aware...the energy and materials (and environmental impact) of an electric car vastly offset any emission savings versus something with a small manufacturing footprint like a motorcycle.

It isn't possible to argue that motorcycles have the same environmental impact as cars...there was an episode of myth busters that attempted to equate motorcycle and car emissions by "busting" some myth about motorcycle emissions but they used air-cooled large displacement bikes...it's important to remember that show is for entertainment only and isn't really about science.

Even if bikes produced worse emissions than cars (they don't) the cars would never be able to offset the extra energy and materials used in manufacturing.

I don't mind if you think bikes shouldn't be in the HOT lane...but you can't defend a position that electric cars are more environmentally friendly than motorcycles...they aren't.

An example of an article that touches on this subject, to get you started on correcting yourself if you disagree with my comments:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/green-living-blog/2010/sep/23/carbon-footprint-new-car

Makes it hard to believe they opened up the HOV lanes during the Pan Am games to motorcycles as well. Someone was in a good mood.
Municipal jurisdiction HOV.

Provincial still had motorcycles banned from HOV. City of Toronto doesn't mind it as much as the MTO.

Just so you are aware...the energy and materials (and environmental impact) of an electric car vastly offset any emission savings versus something with a small manufacturing footprint like a motorcycle.

It isn't possible to argue that motorcycles have the same environmental impact as cars...there was an episode of myth busters that attempted to equate motorcycle and car emissions by "busting" some myth about motorcycle emissions but they used air-cooled large displacement bikes...it's important to remember that show is for entertainment only and isn't really about science.

Even if bikes produced worse emissions than cars (they don't) the cars would never be able to offset the extra energy and materials used in manufacturing.

I don't mind if you think bikes shouldn't be in the HOT lane...but you can't defend a position that electric cars are more environmentally friendly than motorcycles...they aren't.

An example of an article that touches on this subject, to get you started on correcting yourself if you disagree with my comments:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/green-living-blog/2010/sep/23/carbon-footprint-new-car

Just the fact that my bike gives me about 5.3L/100km while i'm ripping it or doing stop and go traffic (yes only 2 modes on my bike) makes it a pretty freakin efficient vehicle in gas consumption. That beats the average car every day.

Just the fact that my bike gives me about 5.3L/100km while i'm ripping it or doing stop and go traffic (yes only 2 modes on my bike) makes it a pretty freakin efficient vehicle in gas consumption. That beats the average car every day.

It's not about consumption, it's about what comes out of the exhaust.

"Not all emissions are created equal. Motorcycles produce less carbon dioxide, but CO2 is the puniest member of the greenhouse gas family. Methane, oxides of nitrogen, and hydrocarbons, and carbon monoxide are much more sinister. Motorcycles completely outclass cars in their emissions of all of these gasses.When all of this is taken into account, the average motorcycle pollutes between 1.5 to 10 times that of an average car. It’s an enormous range due to the many different ways of calculating this number. Other than using electric motorcycles for this calculation, I have not found a single way for motorcycles to be less polluting than cars."

source: http://sustainability.uchicago.edu/resources/news/ask_ignacio_motorcycles_or_cars/

They do.

Nah, and the link you posted has no study proving they do - just more speculation based on outdated data on outdated motorcycles.

I don't have all the information on what people are riding, but there is no way my little FZ8S with a catalytic converter and a proper modern fuel injection system is putting out anywhere close to the pollutants that a 2, 3, 4L car engine is.

Besides, we can easily just add a qualifier that only liquid-cooled motorcycles with modern emissions controls can use the HOT on a green basis.

----

Aside from this, the reason to have motorcycles use the HOT/HOV lanes is because they take up considerably less space than cars and removing them from the normal traffic and having them all use the HOT/HOV lanes makes traffic flow more smoothly for everyone.

Even fat old people on big touring bikes still take up less room than a car.

This is all hashed out already in many populous states.

The ONLY legitimate argument anyone has against having bikes go in the HOT lane is "Ontario is full of retards that won't agree to this anyway, so quit bitching about it" (and I concede this is true).

but the fact that a car will need more gasoline to go the same distance means that we're using up our limited reserves faster when often times (i dont have the data but id peg it at 70% + of cars) are usually at 1/4 if not 1/5th of their max capacity but burn a more gas than a bike. We could call it resource exhaustion as its not really pollution. If lone car drivers all switched to bikes, we'd probably add YEARS to the reserves of oil left.

Aside from this, the reason to have motorcycles use the HOT/HOV lanes is because they take up considerably less space than cars and removing them from the normal traffic and having them all use the HOT/HOV lanes makes traffic flow more smoothly for everyone.

Even fat old people on big touring bikes still take up less room than a car.

This is all hashed out already in many populous states.

The ONLY legitimate argument anyone has against having bikes go in the HOT lane is "Ontario is full of retards that won't agree to this anyway, so quit bitching about it" (and I concede this is true).

Once a bike gets moving at highway speeds, it's lane space requirement (including safe following distance behind the vehicle ahead) is essentially the same as that of an SUV. Even your afore-mentioned supposed retards are able to recognize this. Why don't you?

Back
Top Bottom