End of riding season | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

End of riding season

I am rather embarrassed to say but I have receipts (hidden from my wife) that total over $35,000 on top of the $32,000 bike when It was bought new.

Every single time it puts a smile on my face as soon as I throw my leg over it. No amount of money can buy that feeling.

Except for, you know, sixty seven thousand dollorz.

Thank you!!! I was thinking the same thing, Done lots of valve drops! maybe a piston, Sleeve it ,or cylinder, polish er up and go. I say $3000 tops and your running... worth it if you love the bike and just put that kind of money into it...

It's too bad most of you guys are idiots. Anyway a broken valve spring and valve stem is not a huge, big, expensive deal, especially on a Harley. Take the heads off, because both cylinders should match and replace the valves and springs etc. It sounds like you didn't lunch the really expensive stuff, like the bottom end, so likely you have a relatively easy to do repair. It will still cost a few bucks, but there really isn't any reason to replace the rest of the motor. I'm assuming that if you put that much money in to the motor you beefed up the lower end to handle the increased hordepower. So in hindsight that is a good thing, likely the damage was contained to only one cylinder and everything else is good. Find a reliable shop and you will probably be back on the road in days, not months. You could not have damaged the camshaft etc., so really because of the old engine design the damage is contained to one cylinder and shouldn't be that expensive to repair. But you really should know this stuff if you are spending big bags of money on a bike.

Last edited:
Thank you!!! I was thinking the same thing, Done lots of valve drops! maybe a piston, Sleeve it ,or cylinder, polish er up and go. I say $3000 tops and your running... worth it if you love the bike and just put that kind of money into it...

See I can handle that and it would be worth it to me to put $3,000.00 into it.

Except for, you know, sixty seven thousand dollorz.

My buddies tease me all the time so i am used to it. I was just kidding about my wife not knowing. She knows, i just dont let her bring a calculator in with her when she looks them over. Its also not all spent at once. I enjoy putting some of My $ into my bike and have been for 11 Years without any major repairs.
You gotta Pay to Play

I hear ya. I'd rather not know how
much I've sunk into this hobby in 3 years. Most of it in tools and gear though.

~Yes, Its been bored and had all engine work done at 12,00km Its passed 160,000km now with S&S 585 Gear Cams, Pistons, etc

~I am thinking that route as well, and if I start now I can leave the garage door open

~Yes Never ever a problem with my engine until the loss of power and I rode it like it should be. I am going to miss out on a couple trips which is heartbreaking. That trip of yours seems awesome. How long were you on the road for?

Almost 3 weeks. Total blast. Ozark Mountains, Santa fe Trail, Oatman highway, Pacific trail, Pony Express, Lincoln Hwy - all a rider's dream. BTW, big cams are very hard on the valves and the springs. Any sign of coil bind on the springs?

Last edited:

True, you can get away with just swapping the jug on a Harley *if* you're lucky, or re-lining the cylinder but... He's saying shrapnel made it into the lower case which could have pooched the bearings and a few other things. Harley's are meant to be rebuilt, I think he could save the case and the other jug. Might just be easier to swap in another Twinkie though & get on the road faster.

With all that money couldn't you swap a CBR 125 engine in there? Cheaper and more powerful.

Sent from my Z826 using Tapatalk

With all that money couldn't you swap a CBR 125 engine in there? Cheaper and more powerful.

Sent from my Z826 using Tapatalk

but it doesnt make a farting sound, or clunk when you wanna change gears....

Once the engine is replaced it is a brand new bike. lol I got 160,000km on the engine without a problem. You cant do anything to prevent a broken spring, just pray it doesn't lock up on you. Not only were straight lines quick so were the twisties. I live off of 15 side road and have never been passed anybody on it. The bike was ridden, that's for sure.
Where's 15 side road?

Btw. Many years ago I had a valve disintegrate on my motorcycle. Spat metal fragments out the pipes in a cloud of smoke. Ended up selling the bike to someone who put a new engine in. Easier choice to get rid of bike because I had not put much money into it.

go big or go home... whats another 10 grand YOLO

get the biggest mill S&S makes.. 160hp 150tq?????? FFFck yes.

go big or go home... whats another 10 grand YOLO

get the biggest mill S&S makes.. 160hp 150tq?????? FFFck yes.
If I had some extra funds to do that, that would be my first pick. S&S t143. 163hp & 153lbtq . I would like something that Lasts as long as my other engine.(11 hard years of riding)

but it doesnt make a farting sound, or clunk when you wanna change gears....

The Vance and Hines stainless Pro 2-1 Pipe cured any farting sounds and the Baker 6 speed removed any clunking from the gears.

But you are bang on with those observations for a stock Harley.

If I had some extra funds to do that, that would be my first pick. S&S t143. 163hp & 153lbtq . I would like something that Lasts as long as my other engine.(11 hard years of riding)

Maybe consider a Victory motorcycle? They're clean sheet design, maybe not as outright powerful as the S&S you covet, but the name alone screams winning.

Maybe consider a Victory motorcycle? They're clean sheet design, maybe not as outright powerful as the S&S you covet, but the name alone screams winning.
Good looking bikes also, well except for the bagger. We always had Polaris snow machines and never had a problem until it was stolen.

I will know later this week what was Pooched and how far the damage extends. Hopefully the bottom end is still clean and it I just have to worry about the top.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom