End of riding season | GTAMotorcycle.com

End of riding season

ChopinRockwood

Looks like the end of my riding season. Last Friday coming back from wasaga beach my bike started sputtering like it was out of gas. No power. I gear down pull in the clutch and get it off the road just as it died. It sounded rear bad as I tried to restart. I get it to the shop and they take it apart to look. Seems to be a little metal in the engine. A broken valve stem. And valve.
Before the flames start yes it's a 2005 Harley Davidson RoadKing custom Yea it has 160,000km plus. I love all makes of bikes, I don't dress as a pirate and I never hold anyone up. It doesn't have straight pipes.

It looks like the valve spring broke and dropped the valve down and self destructed the engine.
I had just put about 10 grand into it with baker 6 speed new apes and wires new paint new light etc. Now it looks like it's going to cost anther 6-10 grand to get it back on the road. Everything else on the bike has been replaced and upgraded except for the frame.
If it was your bike what would you do? Fix and keep. Fix and sell it or sell as is. Either way it's going to be a loss to me.

Fix and ride.
My $0.02

Edit for disclaimer: if you have the means. I would never advocate getting into debt for this

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Depends on how attached to that specific bike...if it is just really a vehicle to you, then whatever is the smallest loss.

160km

Not sure why you would put that much money into a bike and changed everything but the frame.
You got 160km, sell it as is, get out of that money pit or learn to fix it on your own.

Why would you dump another $10k into that bike to fix it? If you do then you pretty much going to keep it until it blows up again.

Take whatever cash you can get, go buy a nice Japanese cruiser (Kawi Vulcan 900 or the larger 1600) and enjoy the rest of your summer worry free.

good luck!

Looks like the end of my riding season. Last Friday coming back from wasaga beach my bike started sputtering like it was out of gas. No power. I gear down pull in the clutch and get it off the road just as it died. It sounded rear bad as I tried to restart. I get it to the shop and they take it apart to look. Seems to be a little metal in the engine. A broken valve stem. And valve.
Before the flames start yes it's a 2005 Harley Davidson

Stopped reading at that point. Happy a straight pipe, rolling speed bump, jap hater harley is of the road.

Before the flames start yes it's a 2005 Harley Davidson RoadKing custom Yea it has 160,000km plus. I love all makes of bikes, I don't dress as a pirate and I never hold anyone up. It doesn't have straight pipes.

It looks like the valve spring broke and dropped the valve down and self destructed the engine.
I had just put about 10 grand into it with baker 6 speed new apes and wires new paint new light etc. Now it looks like it's going to cost anther 6-10 grand to get it back on the road. Everything else on the bike has been replaced and upgraded except for the frame.
If it was your bike what would you do? Fix and keep. Fix and sell it or sell as is. Either way it's going to be a loss to me.

At this point private pilot would say..."Glad i bought a metric cruiser!"

Stopped reading at that point. Happy a straight pipe, rolling speed bump, jap hater harley is of the road.
That's the problem with uneducated, closed minded people. If you would have finished reading it you wouldn't have looked so stupid with your response.

If you're going to sell it, part it out. If you're going to keep it, buy a used motor

A stock motor maybe. Mine was not stock. It was pushing 125hp. I would put a new S&S crate engine in. Maybe a 120R. or T143 pushing 163Hp. 152lbstq. those are $5,500 and $9,500. all American prices then there is always hidden cost.

That's the problem with uneducated, closed minded people. If you would have finished reading it you wouldn't have looked so stupid with your response.

I think he was joking....but to be honest why would you put that much money into a bike with 160k km on it?? At that point you should just do whatever important maintenance to keep it running in good condition. If you put that much money into it that late in its life I'm assuming there's some sentimental value. I know how it feels...search Harley forums, ebay, classifieds and look for another engine, might even have to look in the States but it shouldn't cost your more than a few grand to buy and install. Sounds like the rest of your bike is in great shape so you might as well put some money into it and ride for another 160k km.

Just read your above post...that's why its not worth ****ing around with engines on a street bike or something you want some longevity out of. Especially a Harley...not really a performance vehicle but hey, I guess its fun to go fast in a straight line. Getting back to your original question I guess you're not just looking for a normal engine, wouldn't be worth not riding for me just to have some crazy engine. At the same time if you're ok with the downtime after a new engine you'll essentially have an entirely new bike.

Last edited:
160km

Not sure why you would put that much money into a bike and changed everything but the frame.
You got 160km, sell it as is, get out of that money pit or learn to fix it on your own.

Why would you dump another $10k into that bike to fix it? If you do then you pretty much going to keep it until it blows up again.

Take whatever cash you can get, go buy a nice Japanese cruiser (Kawi Vulcan 900 or the larger 1600) and enjoy the rest of your summer worry free.

good luck!
New tranny $5000, Paint $2000, Apes and wires $1500. plus labour and tax. it adds up fast. You cant just pick up these parts at Canadian Tire.

I think he was joking....but to be honest why would you put that much money into a bike with 160k km on it?? At that point you should just do whatever important maintenance to keep it running in good condition. If you put that much money into it that late in its life I'm assuming there's some sentimental value. I know how it feels...search Harley forums, ebay, classifieds and look for another engine, might even have to look in the States but it shouldn't cost your more than a few grand to buy and install. Sounds like the rest of your bike is in great shape so you might as well put some money into it and ride for another 160k km.

Just read your above post...that's why its not worth ****ing around with engines on a street bike or something you want some longevity out of. Especially a Harley...not really a performance vehicle but hey, I guess its fun to go fast in a straight line. Getting back to your original question I guess you're not just looking for a normal engine, wouldn't be worth not riding for me just to have some crazy engine. At the same time if you're ok with the downtime after a new engine you'll essentially have an entirely new bike.

Once the engine is replaced it is a brand new bike. lol I got 160,000km on the engine without a problem. You cant do anything to prevent a broken spring, just pray it doesn't lock up on you. Not only were straight lines quick so were the twisties. I live off of 15 side road and have never been passed anybody on it. The bike was ridden, that's for sure.

If you like the bike and all the stuff you've done to it consider an S&S engine to replace the OE lump.

He was trolling you for a response lol

Go for a new engine. I suspect that you won't get much money from the trans/bars/paint that you spent on. Another thing is that you probably wont't recover any money from the new engine should you want to sell the bike later. But if you are going to ride it for another 100k that's what I'd do. Maybe time to upgrade the shocks and forks also.

Back
Top Bottom