James Bay ride, Canada day long weekend, Friday to Monday | GTAMotorcycle.com

James Bay ride, Canada day long weekend, Friday to Monday

regder

Site Supporter
Throwing around the idea of doing this next weekend as I've never done it. Anyone want to join?

You'll need a lot more than 3 days, I've done the trip 3x and less than 4 days is simply unattainable. Words to the wise...

The roads north of North Bay deteriorate severely. By the time you get to Rouyn Noranda, you'll be crying for a break and a soft mattress.

You'll need a lot more than 3 days, I've done the trip 3x and less than 4 days is simply unattainable. Words to the wise...

The roads north of North Bay deteriorate severely. By the time you get to Rouyn Noranda, you'll be crying for a break and a soft mattress.

I'm aiming for four days, leaving Friday morning and coming back Monday evening. I think that should be reasonable

I'm aiming for four days, leaving Friday morning and coming back Monday evening. I think that should be reasonable

It depends on your destination. The southern-most point is Fort-Rupert, and that's already 1300km from Toronto. The better destination is way up past Rupert's Falls, but that stretch alone takes one day to go up, and a full day to return. Don't plan on night riding, the bear and moose out there will kill you.

Don't you have to book hotels or you camping?

No camping is recommended. You can book a room in Radisson. Or you can book a room in Matagami, ride half-way out to Rupert's Falls and back (that's a full day right there, and you'll need at least 10L fuel can with you), but that's not getting you to the Bay itself.

Last edited:
No camping is recommended. You can book a room in Radisson. Or you can book a room in Matagami, ride half-way out to Rupert's Falls and back (that's a full day right there, and you'll need at least 10L fuel can with you), but that's not getting you to the Bay itself.

Is that a "no camping" or "no, camping"? I was planning on camping.

I haven't had time to properly investigate it, but my understanding was most people did the following

Day 1 - Toronto to Matagami (<1000km)
Day 2 - Matagami to Radisson (620km)
Day 3/4 - Reverse of above

Somewhere in the middle visit Chisasibi

Aggressive schedule. Good luck!
Oh, and that was meant as "do not plan on camping". Bring 5L of bug spray too.

I planned on doing this trip this year...then bought a house :( So this weekend I get the keys and the trip gets put off another year :(

What kind of bike are you taking?

4 days from Toronto is not aggressive - it's par for the course and I've done it twice. The only difference is that on my trips I spent a day in Radisson, but I could have gone without that rest day.

If you can be on your motorcycle for 12 hours a day for 4 days in a row, and you can manage your fuel, you'll be just fine.

And camping is totally doable. Toronto to Matagami - day 1, camp in Matagami. Matagami to Radisson - day 2, camp in Radisson. Lather, rinse and repeat on the way back. 4 days total.

Take my advice, for what it's worth, considering I've done it twice.
- Make sure your tires are in great shape. Take an air compressor and plug kit and know how to use them.
- Plan for gas, and plan on getting 10-15% worse fuel economy from Matagami northwards. One cause is higher speeds on the JBR, and the other is poorer gas quality up there.
- Make sure that your bike is in good working order. Mechanical issues will be problematic - getting parts up there is very difficult and will take a while. Should you damage your bike badly on the JBR, it may actually be cheaper to walk away from it than to have it towed.
- The bugs are epic.
- The silence and quiet are epic.
- Spending a day in Radisson and taking the dam tour (which must be booked ahead of time) is totally worth it.
- From Matagami northwards folks won't speak English or will speak it poorly. Brush up on your Quebecois or make with the hand motions.

- From Matagami northwards folks won't speak English or will speak it poorly. Brush up on your Quebecois or make with the hand motions.

Actually... if you stick with speaking to the Natives, they all speak English up there. I only had a problem communicating with the Quebecois.

I hear James Bay road can be rough on bikes. Lots of Frost heaves.

Back
Top Bottom