HOT lanes coming to QEW September | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HOT lanes coming to QEW September

I find it crazy impressive when a government adds a tax for infrastructure that your taxes already pay for, as well as concurrently take away some of that infrastructure too that your taxes already paid for, and then sells it as good and reasonable. Ontarian's get the government they voted/deserve.

I was wondering the same damn thing. We already paid for that road, that's what our taxes were and are for.
Now they come along and slice it up and graciously charge us more for using special lane within the same highway we already paid for.

Damn! What the hell is wrong with people here. They just keep saying give me less and take more of my money.

I was wondering the same damn thing. We already paid for that road, that's what our taxes were and are for.
Now they come along and slice it up and graciously charge us more for using special lane within the same highway we already paid for.

Damn! What the hell is wrong with people here. They just keep saying give me less and take more of my money.

What I'm saying is yes, the highway is plugged even though it sits along a route heavily serviced by urban and interurban transit services. By all means encourage people to carpool or use alternative routes and means, rather than take even MORE of my money to expand the highway vertically.

For those who might use both regularly... Is the QEW or the 403 more congested during rush hour periods in the sections where the current HOV lanes are on each hwy?

I'm gonna assume that they chose that section of the QEW because

a) burlington, oakville = rich people who can afford that
b) the commute from there to downtown is probably already over an hour easy
c) that section of HOV doesn't get as much usage since most likely we're looking at single passenger vehicles

What needs to be done is get a better transit system. And once implemented (and good enough) toll all the hwys (that'll have a twofold action of reducing traffic + getting people to consider transit)

But improving the transit system is gonna be special.

I think that in our lifetime (well most of us) we'll have autopiloted ridesharing services to get you from home to the station and from there get your to the closest hub to your destination.
In the end that's probably the most efficient way to get it done.
Get rid of erratic behaviour to ensure smooth(er) traffic flow and reduce the amount of stress the population has to go through

I only use QEW from Trafalgar to appleby. I use the HOV carpooling with my wife.

From what I've experienced in the last year, HOV can get congested near exits because people drive bumper to bumper on the left most lane and don't give room for HOV using vehicle to exit safely with the flow.

So with more cars using the HOT lane now, I don't like it because I can see this happening more.

Also, how would they enforce this privilege? If cop sees you driving alone in HOT, pull over first and check afterwards? Will there be a giant sticker that you have to put on your car?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The only viable alternative is to actually starting building efficient public transit system ... so they get big portion of people OUT of their cars during weekday commutes ... all they are doing is making everyone use their car, because there's no viable alternative for most. It's a joke.

They've been missing the boat for 3-4 decades ... hard to fix now, but they will have to one day.

Also, how would they enforce this privilege? If cop sees you driving alone in HOT, pull over first and check afterwards? Will there be a giant sticker that you have to put on your car?

If the single-occupant HOT permit is specific to one vehicle, then they could just run your plate and see if it is authorized to be in that lane with just one occupant.

I'm gonna assume that they chose that section of the QEW because

a) burlington, oakville = rich people who can afford that
b) the commute from there to downtown is probably already over an hour easy
c) that section of HOV doesn't get as much usage since most likely we're looking at single passenger vehicles

What needs to be done is get a better transit system. And once implemented (and good enough) toll all the hwys (that'll have a twofold action of reducing traffic + getting people to consider transit)

True, a better transit system is key to reducing personal vehicle use in any congested area, but the QEW from Hamilton to Toronto is not only extremely heavily used, but is also already well served by various levels of transit. That may be one of the reason it was chosen for a pilot, to see how paid HOT use will work, to see the effect on the other non-HOT lanes, and to see if there is any spill-over effect onto adjacent transit services and local roadways.

Get one of those hovercrafts from the retired Rochester to Toronto run and implement the craft to bring drivers from Hamilton/Oakville area to Toronto.
Less cars on the road, those folks will pay for the convenience.

True, a better transit system is key to reducing personal vehicle use in any congested area, but the QEW from Hamilton to Toronto is not only extremely heavily used, but is also already well served by various levels of transit. That may be one of the reason it was chosen for a pilot, to see how paid HOT use will work, to see the effect on the other non-HOT lanes, and to see if there is any spill-over effect onto adjacent transit services and local roadways.

Just because transit exists, doesn't mean it's good enough.

Look at any comparably sized city/metropolitan area, and you'll see that the GTA is a solid 20 years behind everyone else.

I laugh when they provide updates on the news about which subway line is experiencing issues, when there's only 2.

Look at any comparably sized city/metropolitan area, and you'll see that the GTA is a solid 20 years behind everyone else.

I laugh when they provide updates on the news about which subway line is experiencing issues, when there's only 2.

factor in that it takes 10 years to build anything so that moves the timeline to 30 years:D

factor in that it takes 10 years to build anything so that moves the timeline to 30 years:D

Big Dig: Toronto Edition.

Turn it into a reality show and it will pay for itself.

Big Dig: Toronto Edition.

Turn it into a reality show and it will pay for itself.

newsflash
after digging for 15 years we have decided to cancel the project...oh and the $10 billion is gone.
kthxbye

Exactly .... Anyone who values their personal time would be crazy to use public transit in GTA in exchange of a car if they can afford one, or unless they live right on a line without taking significantly longer to ge to destination. Why would I trade my personal vehicle and freedom without paying significantly more???

The people in large European cities are not sacrificing, they are simply picking the cheaper and faster alternative. It really is easy math for most.

Here, it's easy too ... No viable alternative if I want to keep my standard of living, car it is.

Back
Top Bottom