HOT lanes coming to QEW September | GTAMotorcycle.com

HOT lanes coming to QEW September

Another cash grab or viable solution?

Viable means (though not full solution) to encourage car-polling and put the brakes on increasing traffic levels on the QEW. What is the alternative? Add more lanes to expand capacity? Where can you realistically add sufficient lanes in the Hamilton-Toronto QEW corridor without double-decking the highway? Let the HOT tolls discourage single-passenger traffic, fund decent transit, and if still necessary fund QEW expansion vi double decking.

As for supposed cash-grab, $60 per month is reasonable. They could bump it up to $5 per day and still be in the reasonable cost ballpark.

..., $60 per month is reasonable. ....

I have only read a little about this, but i understand that it is by way of lottery and only offering 1000 passes for the pilot? possibly longer? maybe I have read it incorrectly, but what are the odds that the lottery will feel "fixed"? or will it become a scalping item where we will see passes up for sale on kijiji at inflated prices

Viable means (though not full solution) to encourage car-polling and put the brakes on increasing traffic levels on the QEW. What is the alternative? Add more lanes to expand capacity? Where can you realistically add sufficient lanes in the Hamilton-Toronto QEW corridor without double-decking the highway? Let the HOT tolls discourage single-passenger traffic, fund decent transit, and if still necessary fund QEW expansion vi double decking.

As for supposed cash-grab, $60 per month is reasonable. They could bump it up to $5 per day and still be in the reasonable cost ballpark.

I'm confused? how does giving people, as single occupants, access to a freer flowing lane encourage car pooling? It to me says the exact opposite. Pony up and continue to love your personal transportation, if you can afford it.

Just wait until the scalpers get their hands on these. $60 is a bargain, HOT lanes could save several hours a week in travel time, worth it to me.

I find it crazy impressive when a government adds a tax for infrastructure that your taxes already pay for, as well as concurrently take away some of that infrastructure too that your taxes already paid for, and then sells it as good and reasonable. Ontarian's get the government they voted/deserve.
And that $60 is taxable, of course.

I find it crazy impressive when a government adds a tax for infrastructure that your taxes already pay for, as well as concurrently take away some of that infrastructure too that your taxes already paid for, and then sells it as good and reasonable. Ontarian's get the government they voted/deserve.
This. Right ******* here.

Idiots. Everyone.

Just wait until the scalpers get their hands on these. $60 is a bargain, HOT lanes could save several hours a week in travel time, worth it to me.

I'd imagine these passes will be tied to the original buyers vehicle tag or something similar; no resale

nail // head // win

love the Idea that taxpayers paid for the roads and maintain them. then to make it HOV lane. now to make it a pay lane for a road thats already been paid for. legal extortion!!

will this money go directly to help improve other roads/transport/etc? or will it go into general coffers and never bee seen again?

will this money go directly to help improve other roads/transport/etc? or will it go into general coffers and never bee seen again?
Does it matter one bit? Our goddamn gov keeps running deficits without covering basic costs of infrastructure. Its ludicrous.

I'm confused? how does giving people, as single occupants, access to a freer flowing lane encourage car pooling? It to me says the exact opposite. Pony up and continue to love your personal transportation, if you can afford it.

It puts a cost on driving alone. If you want to save that cost, you find a car-pool partner.

By rights, the $60 monthly charge should be higher, but it is a starting point.

Does it matter one bit? Our goddamn gov keeps running deficits without covering basic costs of infrastructure. Its ludicrous.

this, it doesn't matter. Revenues from all sources need to be directed to important programs, like researching if purple single parent non striped zebras have higher or lower IQ's than green horned orphan hippos

It puts a cost on driving alone. If you want to save that cost, you find a car-pool partner.

By rights, the $60 monthly charge should be higher, but it is a starting point.

Exponential increases in the cost of personal transportation over the last 30 years have done nothing to curb the ever increasing number of cars on the road; but if you want to tow that line who am I to stop ya

FWIW if there was any truth to your perception of this program, we'd be talking about a toll on any and all single occupant cars on our highways. I wouldn't rule it out though, and the reality is, even if that comes to pass, nothing will change outside of higher cost of ownership.

Edit: Short form // money grab

Last edited:

Yes this. Infrastructure obviously has grown only fractionally compared to units in the urban sprawl of the the GTA. What a shame. A temporary workaround for the 1000 lucky people to pay for what we should all be getting already. Why do we put up with this?

We should all bumrush the HOV lane on a daily basis and let these losers figure out how to deal with it.

How long before the 'Alternating Letter on your license plate to drive into the city' starts?

Road space rationing? I think we're a long way away but could be the future.

Back
Top Bottom