Bent Handlebar | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bent Handlebar

Kri$han

This is more of a cry in need for help from someone that has more/better tools than I do, than a technical question (mods please move if this is in the wrong location);

I have a suburban-machinery type II handlebar (http://suburban-machinery.com/sv650.htm) that has been bent as the result of going down.

What I need is an hour with a vise, and perhaps a bar that fits inside or outside of my handle-bar (which I think is standard 7/8" OD?).

I could bring a brew (or 6) by as compensation for your time :)

Where do you live/where are you willing to travel to use a vise?

Ack - should have mentioned; I'm in the south-east corner of Brampton, but commute to Markham regularly. I'd travel anywhere near the 401 or 407 between Milton and Markham, TBH. Hmmm, maybe I should buy one...

PM Frekeyguy he's in the heart lake area...

He's always my go to guy when I don't want to or can't do something myself.

replied to your PM. not sure how I can help here - but I will try to help.
Handlebars are fairly inexpenive to purchase, there are tons of choices on genetic bars too...

I've been emailing back-and-forth with the sales team at suburban-machinery.com, and they've suggested the following:

Kris,Sally noted that you are in Canada, so shipping back and forth would be expensive.
You could straighten the bars yourself.
You need a vise and either a bar that fits inside the tubes, or a pipe that fits outside.
If the vise has checkered jaws, use two sheets of cardboard to line the jaws.

Lay the handlebar on a flat surface to check vertical straightness. On a type 2 bar, all the tubes should touch the table. The welds do stick up slightly and effect this test.
Hold the bar in the vise vertically (grip the center tube and one of the short tubes) and push or pull on the bent handgrip.

Using a large enough sheet of paper or cardboard draw an outline of the bar using the good side of the bar to finish both sides of the drawing.
Flip the bar over and note the relative position of the bent handgrip to the drawing.
Grab the center tube of the bar in the vise (bar horizontal) and give the bent side a push.
Then check it against your drawing.

Hope this helps,

I've got a pretty good idea of what to do and how to do it, I just need a good vise and a long steel tube with a 1.0" ID - if anyone has access to, or has them I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!

I've been emailing back-and-forth with the sales team at suburban-machinery.com, and they've suggested the following:

I've got a pretty good idea of what to do and how to do it, I just need a good vise and a long steel tube with a 1.0" ID - if anyone has access to, or has them I'd appreciate the help. Thanks![/FONT]

I might have some 1" tubing or later ID tubing, I have to check.
I have acess to tons of 3/4", 7/8", 1" etc etc etc linear precision steel too.

Back
Top Bottom