Motorcycle Security | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Security

ddzc

Hey all,

My CBR600 was stolen today from my underground parking. I only had it for 2 months and it was my first bike, had only 1400 KM on it. I'm devastated and theft was always my concern since day one.

I'm wondering what methods everyone uses to avoid having these low life piece of ***** from stealing your bike. Do you have alarm systems? GPS trackers, if so, what is recommended. If I can't secure my bike, I obviously can't own one anymore, unless I move away from the condo because these piece of crap low life scums will come back again.

Cheers
Dan

That sucks... I know the feeling, my gsxr 600 was stolen back in 2012 from an Underground parking lot. Hopefully you have theft insurance.

You have a few options for security / theft deterent.

GPS trackers are available online, some have a monthly fee attached to the service.
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/spot-trace.html

Scorpio offers a few alarm options. Some include an alert when the bike is moved and can also dis able the ignition.
http://ridescorpio.com

A cheaper alternative would be a very heavy chain and mount in the concrete floor of your parking garage.

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/kryptonite-new-york-chain-evolution-4-disc-lock-black-5-5.html
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/abus-granit-wba-100-lock-anchor.html
I got lucky and found a huge chain lock marked down at royal distributing to $18 from $150.

Cheapest option would be a disk lock either with or without an alarm. I tried an expensive one with an alarm and gave up on it after set up issues and many false-positives.
Canadas motorcycle has a tone and most dealers will have multiple options in Stock. Make sure to get one with a cord that attaches to the handle bar to remind you it's there ... you will forget and possibly crack your front fender.

19mm chain, perimeter alarm, Gps tracking, and disc lock when parked underground

If I were you, I would move out of the condo and get a room in a real home with a garage.

Locks/alarms/GPS are really just ok, best way is to NOT HAVE IT SEEN (stored in a home garage or if it's convenient then bring it inside your house or unit).

Condominiums parking garage is one of the worst place to stored your bike, regardless of what alarms or locks you have on it.

Last edited:
Step 1
Don't store it in a condo underground.

There is no step 2.

Sucks but it's reality here in TO.

Thanks everyone!

The crazy part about this is the fact that with was on my mind for weeks, almost like I saw it coming. I took a measurement 2 days ago to chain the bike to the concrete poll...now I'm kicking myself for not acting fast enough. I was going to buy the chain this weekend!

I saw the camera footage last night. The low life scum piece of ***** waited for me. I left with my car at 2:38 PM and they came immediately 5 mins later and drove off with the bike at 2:47. They tossed it in a beat up old white caravan with no plate in the front. The cameras in the building are so trash (brand new condo too), it couldn't even get the back plate, all blurry.

Last edited:
I have the Spot-Trace unit mikeherdes linked to mounted under the seat. Not that I expect anyone to want my often broken banged up dinosaur of a bike, but it's nice to have. It doesn't really do movement alerts, but if you check it the app will let you know where it is. It normally updates every 15 minutes, but for more money can do 5. So it won't help the bike from being stolen, but it might find what's left of it and the perps. I think it was $100 for the unit off Amazon and around $100 a year for tracking.

If you rent this condo instead of owning, consider a basement apartment with some garage space.

I have the Spot-Trace unit mikeherdes linked to mounted under the seat. Not that I expect anyone to want my often broken banged up dinosaur of a bike, but it's nice to have. It doesn't really do movement alerts, but if you check it the app will let you know where it is. It normally updates every 15 minutes, but for more money can do 5. So it won't help the bike from being stolen, but it might find what's left of it and the perps. I think it was $100 for the unit off Amazon and around $100 a year for tracking.

If you rent this condo instead of owning, consider a basement apartment with some garage space.

Good option to have, thanks. I own unfortunately...wont be easy to move.

Step 1

There is no step 2.

This.

The only real solution is to pay a friend to store at their garage or rent a locker that allows you to store it there. Well, 'real' is relative.

I think unless you own a totally undesirable bike in a condo, you won't be keeping it long.

Sorry to hear dude, but yours is a story that has been typed on this forum a multitude of times before.

This.

The only real solution is to pay a friend to store at their garage or rent a locker that allows you to store it there. Well, 'real' is relative.

I think unless you own a totally undesirable bike in a condo, you won't be keeping it long.

Sorry to hear dude, but yours is a story that has been typed on this forum a multitude of times before.

Thanks man. I hear you. I was thinking of getting a Harley, I doubt those get stolen as much.

I searched for alarms and found this one, looks pretty good...this would definitely scare someone off - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgnJzCMgkSo

Plus a chain, plus gps tracking...

Thanks man. I hear you. I was thinking of getting a Harley, I doubt those get stolen as much.

I searched for alarms and found this one, looks pretty good...this would definitely scare someone off - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgnJzCMgkSo

Plus a chain, plus gps tracking...

watch the videos of thefts. I don't think harleys are undesirable. They're just mf'ing unliftable! :p

as for your alarm idea, when was the last time you (or anyone) has ever looked in the direction of a car alarm in parkinglot for more than 5 seconds, let alone going and doing something about it?

It happens, but don't let it bring you down too much. Hopefully you have insurance, it's just ****** that you'd be without a bike during prime riding time. If you are going to get another bike in the condo, get a decent chain and lock it to the pillar as well as cover the bike. Not completely theft proof, but it's not an easy target. Also, write to your condo board and ask them to open up a room in the basement to store motor cycles. There are usually bike storing lockers and they might be able to do something. Most times than not, they won't, but if you are an owner of the condo, nothing stopping you from running for the board and making it happen. As for not owning a bike in condos, Fk that, live your life and get insurance and do all you can to make it harder for the lazy thief.

The problem with alarms these days is that everyone has one and they're always going off, so they're largely ignored. I use a XENA X15 on my Harley along with an alarmed steering padlock. However, for any of this to be any good you must be within earshot of the alarm, because nobody else is going to do anything if the alarm goes off; the sad byproduct of too many falsies.

I'm not sure how to avoid theft. Sport bikes are at the top of the list right now, but Harley's are always in the top 10. You can't just buy a bike and park it where you can't hear the alarm. Stealing a bike is as simple as pulling up with a tire crane, plunking it in the back of a flatbed and taking off - about a two minute operation.

Also, I'm sure there are people at dealers tipping off the thieves about who just bought a new bike and the address it went to.

Step 1

There is no step 2.

I have to agree. Also you best check with the condo before putting a chain near or on any condo property. From what I have read on GTAM most condo's are anything but "bike friendly" and the camera's and security does little to help. Sorry to hear about your loss :(

My building has a parking space in the garage that is too small to park a car in.
There are however three motorcycles parked there.
There are I-bolts set into concrete on either side.
A heavy chain wrapped in canvas runs between the bolts with a top of the line padlock on it.
The chain goes through the wheels.
It would take several hours to get through any part of the chain or lock with a hacksaw.
The 3 bike owners are the only ones with a key to the lock.
Check your underground for a similar space, get some of the other riders on board, then approach the condo board to do something similar.

I was just downtown visiting my GF at her condo. Was considering if it was okay to park there overnight. Now seeing this, I'm even more paranoid about leaving the bike down there. Sorry about your loss, it sucks that you have to force certain types of people to do their job at a reasonable level. What exactly is the point of security if your **** isn't secure?? Does your condo have 24h concierge? I would also use a game camera from basspro hang it somewhere criminals wouldn't look for it. Even if the cops/security don't do anything with footage you can always plaster their images all over social media.

I live in a condo now. Even when I had insurance on my bike (a month ago), my bike was still stored at my parent's place.

Do not park it in a condo. I know it sucks but it's either that or sleep like **** every night.

You could also make your bike into an explosive if tampered with but somebody told me that'd probably land you in jail.

Hey all,

My CBR600 was stolen today from my underground parking. I only had it for 2 months and it was my first bike, had only 1400 KM on it. I'm devastated and theft was always my concern since day one.

I'm wondering what methods everyone uses to avoid having these low life piece of ***** from stealing your bike. Do you have alarm systems? GPS trackers, if so, what is recommended. If I can't secure my bike, I obviously can't own one anymore, unless I move away from the condo because these piece of crap low life scums will come back again.

Cheers
Dan

Sorry to hear man. At my place the underground has a motorcycle cage where only security and the bike owners have access.. however if I did not have this and had a bike with high theft rate I'd use a good ground anchor that would require an oxyacetylene torch to cut. However this still only prevents theft when parked at home

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom