Upgrade Computer or build a new one? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Upgrade Computer or build a new one?

and you probably won't. Dual boots for the win. lol
Stop speaking Cantonese to me! Dual boots??? Want a bubble jet printer?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Stop speaking Cantonese to me! Dual boots??? Want a bubble jet printer?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

He's right, unless you know how to decompile and rewrite the driver.

I've never tried this before, but you can try using a virtual machine, installing the required Windows version, and trying to print from there instead of customized booting; if that doesn't work, dual booting will 100% work. Neither are particularly user friendly but dual booting runs the risk of potentially doing more stupid things (shrinking your primary partition to 0 free space, removing your C:, and other stupidity).

I'd rather have dual boot than a VR. Tried VR for XP for my kid(old games). Downfall is that it shares the RAM. With a dual boot it uses all of the RAM available. Downfall is that you should have XP installed first. OR I just swap HDs that have each one.

lol...making Joe's head spin now. If I actually printed a lot using up a bubble would be handy. I barely print the once a week (once a month if I remember) "keep it working" page on the ink jet.

油井緋色;2427702 said:
^ Go buy a prebuilt computer from Alienware/Dell or something. Heck even NCIX sells them.
Nah, I'm a programmer man, apparently it comes with inherent knowledge of how to put P.C.'s together, who 'ave thunk?!? All I really need is somewhere to look up the new standards, and what's been advanced. Now there's this thing called the web. My cat could build a PC now. Back when we were building 8080's and 6502's, you had to design and make your own boards for them.

^
I told you to buy a prebuild because you have no idea what you're doing...like with riding lol

油井緋色;2427761 said:
^ I told you to buy a prebuild because you have no idea what you're doing...like with riding lol
Sorry, what's there to know? It's like today's programming, the bloatware does it for you.

I know programmers that don't know desktops.

Me too. They're usually really ****** programmers lol...not that I'm implying anything :agave:

油井緋色;2427765 said:
Me too. They're usually really ****** programmers lol...not that I'm implying anything :agave:
Just hoping for you, that your raw talent, makes your sparkling personality worth employing, and you never have to fix one of my ****** programs. Although that's very unlikely, some of the stuff I worked in, isn't favoured by the current generation of Canadians, and has been off-shored to India now. p.s. How did you know I had no idea about riding, when you've never met or ridden with me? Oh well, at least you like sheep. :D p.p.s. Computer is up and running cool for the moment. :D :D :D I'm rearranging it's living quarters to baby it more.

Well, this took a turn....

Glad the PC is alive again. Always feel good when that happens. I have a couple of old Dells...one dead and one was working. They have different capacitors that are blown. Was tempted to un-solder the good one and swap em. Nope, didn't work....damn solder won't melt.

Last edited:

Glad the PC is alive again. Always feel good when that happens. I have a couple of old Dells...one dead and one was working. They have different capacitors that are blown. Was tempted to un-solder the good one and swap em. Nope, didn't work....damn solder won't melt.

Ha. I remember once going through a huge stack of Dell desktops just to cull all the ones with blown caps... think like 90% of them were sent back. Those must be old old though, I haven't seen the cap problem for years

Yep Dell had a big problem with caps a while back. They were designed to only last a fixed length of time(as per the corporate rep), but for a while/batch they were even less durable and they had to replace almost all of the MBs at my work. But models newer even had the issue it seems. Personally I'm wary of buying a Dell.

Thanks, I'm not sure where it came from. Sorry, if it was something I said.

Anyways, I tried overclocking it a little. Might try overclocking the video card and see what that does.

Right now though, with a stable temperature, it doesn't seem to need overclocking for what I use it for.

Gonna try loading Homeworld and Cataclysm and see how they do.

Could you snip the leads on the caps and solder directly to them?

To me, if you don't need to OClock, why bother?

Not worth the bother to mess with the caps. It's just my downloader PC. Just swapped the HD into another chassis and kept going. Was just going to try it for S'nGiggles, but not worth wasting more time on.

To me, if you don't need to OClock, why bother?

Not worth the bother to mess with the caps. It's just my downloader PC. Just swapped the HD into another chassis and kept going. Was just going to try it for S'nGiggles, but not worth wasting more time on.

Long story short, because the chipset manufacturers are ripping you off. Long story below:

CPUs (and GPUs) can generally be categorized together by using their architecture nickname (Bloomfield in my case with the 920). Every category generally has low to really high end products. The price for an i7 920 was $284 but for an i7 975 it was $999. There is no manufacturing difference between these two chips except that during the first couple of batches, the manufacturer will get some ****** chips that run less than ideal at certain speeds, so what do they do? They sell the ones that perform better at a higher price.

As iterations of the chips are pushed out, the manufacturing process gets better and most chips can run at higher speeds. However, the vast majority are not going to pay $1,000+ for an i7 Extreme chip, so the same chips that would be an extreme chip are declocked, have their multiplayer limited (unless it's a K version), and their prices slashed.

So what can the user do? Overclock it back to where it belongs. As long as you aren't generating stupid amounts of heat (by running high voltages), you don't risk ruining the life span of the CPU. To give an example of two overclocks I've done:

i7 920 @ 2.93ghz stock vs OCed @ 3.8ghz (29% increase)

i5 3570 @ 3.8ghz stock vs OCed @ 4.7ghz (23% increase)

GPUs are different because the bastard manufacturers actually laser lock/cut the shaders (long ago they didn't). While you can overclock them like CPUs, you will never get them to the next tier of performance.

And just in case anyone reading this doesn't know: you can overclock your system in 30 minutes. The reason why some ppl take a couple days is because they're anal and want to get the "perfect yield" for that chip via tons of testing and freezing. The difference between the perfect overclock and a quick and dirty overclock is often 100mhz or less.

Yeah, I've read that before. They did the same thing with film back in the day. The middle of the "batch" that was cut into strips were sold as Pro stock and the edges as consumer. That being said though the middle stock was consistent(necessary in pro use), where the edge stock may have been a bit off. But with manufacturing tolerances, etc. the way they were, consumer grade wasn't off by much if any.

For me, I don't need to boost the CPU, so don't bother OCing. My slowdown are more cause of crap that bloats the system over time.

Yeah, I've read that before. They did the same thing with film back in the day. The middle of the "batch" that was cut into strips were sold as Pro stock and the edges as consumer. That being said though the middle stock was consistent(necessary in pro use), where the edge stock may have been a bit off. But with manufacturing tolerances, etc. the way they were, consumer grade wasn't off by much if any.

For me, I don't need to boost the CPU, so don't bother OCing. My slowdown are more cause of crap that bloats the system over time.

I think an SSD helps a lot with the bloating. I haven't noticed any slow downs since upgrading to an SSD 2 years ago. I used to format annually to get rid of the slow downs lol

After cleaning up all the miscellaneous mess, it looks like you're right, and the Video card is now the bottleneck. It might make the next item on my list. Last night I went to power the thing off and on, Microsoft decided to make 171 updates. I wonder if that's a Windows 10 image or something else.

After cleaning up all the miscellaneous mess, it looks like you're right, and the Video card is now the bottleneck. It might make the next item on my list. Last night I went to power the thing off and on, Microsoft decided to make 171 updates. I wonder if that's a Windows 10 image or something else.

Assuming you're on Windows 7, that is completely normal. The last (only) service pack is more than 5 years old now

One of the updates will be the annoying popup asking you to switch to Win10. You can disable it by deleting the update KB3035583.

Decided not to let one little old blown capacitor kill a whole PC. Took one from another MB and swapped it in. It's ALIVE!!! muhahahahah....

Back
Top Bottom