Why does this happen? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why does this happen?

It happens when the rear tire loses grip and then regains traction again quickly. The solution is to not corner so fast that there's a chance of losing grip. Unless you want to race, in which case the solution is... there is no solution. Wear full protection.

That's some scary **** right there and amazing recovery too!

If you don't want to race at least try some dirt bike stuff to expand your reaction response reflexes.

I noticed riders putting their feet down in the videos. The late Dr. John Hinds commented in one of his videos that there was a serious danger of twisting the leg and breaking it.

Phenomenal recoveries.

Traction control:

[video=youtube_share;nmryi5u3F8U]http://youtu.be/nmryi5u3F8U[/video]

Ride on hard packed gravel roads, the kind with the marbles on top. Practice going thru corners with the front and back wheels pushing out. This can be done at very low speed with the bike almost upright. That's right. Low speed. First it's unnerving. Then it feels normal*. The difference in speed between low siding and not is not much. You have to be very careful. Borrow a bike if yours is nice.
Word of caution. When the bike starts going down do not plant your foot hard to save it. It's not worth your ACL. Put a leg out for balance, but that's it.

*this is the goose that laid the golden egg, you want to feel normal "out of control"

Last edited:
If you don't want to race at least try some dirt bike stuff to expand your reaction response reflexes.

I noticed riders putting their feet down in the videos. The late Dr. John Hinds commented in one of his videos that there was a serious danger of twisting the leg and breaking it.

Phenomenal recoveries.
The problem is that when this happens you really don't have time to think "ummm Dr. John Hinds said not to put my feet down" :) the reaction is just instinct.

It isn't fun but you get used to it and just continue on - Specially when racing in the rain.

I have traction control and this still happens at least once every race weekend.

Does it happen if you give too much throttle while exiting the corner?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
3 things can happen with too much throttle off a corner.
1- Rear Tire never regains traction and you end up in the ground (low side) (second best scenario)
2- Rear Tire regains traction and you are able to control it like in the video (best case scenario)
3- Tire regains complete traction and you are catapulted 10 feet in the air (High Side) (Worse case scenario)

3 things can happen with too much throttle off a corner.
1- Rear Tire never regains traction and you end up in the ground (low side) (second best scenario)
2- Rear Tire regains traction and you are able to control it like in the video (best case scenario)
3- Tire regains complete traction and you are catapulted 10 feet in the air (High Side) (Worse case scenario)

See:

[video=youtube;r0XThLmY1t4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0XThLmY1t4[/video]

Does it happen if you give too much throttle while exiting the corner?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Anything that can make the rear tire to lose grip can cause it. Too much throttle is the most common, but bumps, tire issues, brakes, can do it too

I just **** my pants watching it

I had a helmet with a skid mark on the forehead from my front tire, by pure luck ended up back in the saddle and finished the race, with no windscreen.

Damn 500 two strokes.lol

Last edited:
The problem is that when this happens you really don't have time to think "ummm Dr. John Hinds said not to put my feet down" :) the reaction is just instinct.

It isn't fun but you get used to it and just continue on - Specially when racing in the rain.

I have traction control and this still happens at least once every race weekend.

Thinking ahead keeps you out of some situations. Practice helps when you can't avoid the situation. Gear minimizes damage up to the point where life insurance kicks in.

those r some nasty tank slappers

I think there might be a difference...i think when the front tire is tracking differently than the rear, then you'll get the steering "hunting" for the correct line - slapping.

These are the rear slipping and grabbing.

I could totally be wrong. Have had both happen and both left different results in my pants. :/

Back
Top Bottom