Ontario Motorcycle Insurance 18 Y/O | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario Motorcycle Insurance 18 Y/O

Hanson

Hello Riders,

I'm a 17 year old teenager, who has been wanting to get into riding for a few months now. Since I will be turning 18 within a few weeks, I plan to take my M1 test, and an MSF course afterwards (If anyone have any recommendations on where to take my MSF course, please feel free reply, I'm in the Scarborough area.) I was just wondering on how much would insurance cost for someone at my age with a M1, and how much would it drop after getting my M2? I'm planning on getting a 2016 Ninja 300 ABS KRT Edition. Feel free to recommend insurance companies as well. Hope to get a few answers, thanks.

psouth@surnet.net, send him an email for insurance. Expect to pay ~$1800 a year. There won't be any drop after getting your m2 unfortunately, especially not at this age. Additionally, I highly suggest you do not buy a brand new bike, you will drop it - that's a guarantee, and it'll be a lot less painful if it's used. There's a ton of Ninja 250/300's for sale on kijiji. This is coming from a fellow "teenage" (19) who went through the same process as you 3 years ago.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I went to Snow City Cycle Marine (Motorcycle Store) last week and a kind gentlemen named Hans gave me Paul's card as well. I sent Paul an email on Saturday, but still haven't gotten a message back yet. Although $1800 a year? For an 18 y/o with an m1? Seems pretty good to me, there were some guys around the ages of 25-35 in the store saying that I would be paying 9k+ per year... wasn't really sure if they were kidding or not. Thanks man! If i don't get a message back from him soon, I will just call him.

Wait a minute.....Snow city? Are you Hans' son?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

best quotes I got were from Riders Plus, Drivers First, Dalton Timmis, Surnet and Cornerstone, expect over $2k

I agree, asking for quotes here isn't going to yield much in the way of valuable information. Call around, and call a LOT of places, particularly large brokers like Dalton Timmis that can shop you around to a lot of different underwriters.

At 17 however, even with the very modest good beginner bike you're considering (which I must congratulate you on, since most your age want to immediately jump into supersport territory right out of the gate) it won't be cheap. If you can give us an idea on your monthly budget (remembering that motorcycle insurance can't just be cancelled in the winter months, so be prepared to pay all year around) we can give you an idea if you're likely in the ballpark or not on affordability.

I just got off the phone with Paul's son (Chris), pretty cool and calm guy. He gave a quote for the bike, $2794 a year after MSF course. Seems pretty decent, I'm going to sign up with him after I pass my M1 test and MSF course.

I just got off the phone with Paul's son (Chris), pretty cool and calm guy. He gave a quote for the bike, $2794 a year after MSF course. Seems pretty decent, I'm going to sign up with him after I pass my M1 test and MSF course.

just some 2 cents

Are you bonkers:D unless you have $2800 you don't need or cash comes easy, save your money and go do track days that include bike and gear.
Sit out this year from street riding. Go gain some bike experience then when you hit the streets you only focus on the cars (street experience).

You can go buy a cheap beat up street bike or get a cbr125 (race bike) for cheap and learn to ride properly. You will likely have a lot of fun in a much safer environment.

Hello Riders,

I'm a 17 year old teenager, who has been wanting to get into riding for a few months now. Since I will be turning 18 within a few weeks, I plan to take my M1 test, and an MSF course afterwards (If anyone have any recommendations on where to take my MSF course, please feel free reply, I'm in the Scarborough area.) I was just wondering on how much would insurance cost for someone at my age with a M1, and how much would it drop after getting my M2? I'm planning on getting a 2016 Ninja 300 ABS KRT Edition. Feel free to recommend insurance companies as well. Hope to get a few answers, thanks.

As others have stated, getting a brand new bike for your first bike isn't the greatest choice knowing that most drop their first bikes.

Another thing is, are you buying the bike right out, or are you financing the bike? This would effect your insurance rates as if you're financing you would be required to have collision coverage (while people in this thread gave you rough numbers of what you would be paying if you were looking at liability only coverage).

My guess is that you'd probably be paying ~$3500+ for full coverage, and around ~$2500 for liability only.

I went to Snow City Cycle Marine (Motorcycle Store) last week and a kind gentlemen named Hans gave me Paul's card as well. I sent Paul an email on Saturday, but still haven't gotten a message back yet. Although $1800 a year? For an 18 y/o with an m1? Seems pretty good to me, there were some guys around the ages of 25-35 in the store saying that I would be paying 9k+ per year... wasn't really sure if they were kidding or not. Thanks man! If i don't get a message back from him soon, I will just call him.

You'd be looking at 9k+ a year if you were looking at getting an SS and/or have a horrible driving record, along with being a new rider.

Last edited:
Hey Hanson! Although it may now be a little bit out of date, you should consult my sticky thread to find companies that might give you a good rate:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-Insurance-Company-will-give-me-the-best-rate

There are some great brokers and agents recommended here on the board -- since you already know the bike you want to get, you're best off just calling one to get a quote. It really doesn't take long! Who are your parents insured with? You might be able to get a good discount if you go with their insurance company; however, if their company's motorcycle rates aren't competitive the discounts might not be significant enough to make a difference. At your age, you really need to shop around. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom