Safety certificate test checklist | GTAMotorcycle.com

Safety certificate test checklist

clyder

Hello,

Does anyone know what is part of a 'Safety certificate test'? What are the criterias/ checklists a mechanic is looking for to determine if your bike has passed the safety or not?

Thanks,

Yes, it does a little bit thanks. What about that part tho:"You can buy and register a vehicle without a safety certificate, but you cannot put your own plates on the vehicle or drive it without one." So is that part mendatory or not?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

That just means you need to pass a Safety if you want to put the vehicle on the road. But if all you want to do is store it in a garage then you can skip the safety cert.

If you just want a pass and don't mind paying double then Canadian Tire is pretty easy in my experience. Watched them do it once and it was a joke. Lights, honk horn, signal, brake lights. Pass. YMMV

And what do you mean "it was a joke" how long did it take?

FWIW, The person doing the inspection should have a motorcycle licence. If they don't, they can't perform the inspection properly since part of it is a stop from at least 30KPH...which would require the bike to be running and ridden by the inspector.

I hear a lot of places skip that step simply rolling it ahead on the shop floor and seeing if the brakes work at all, but in that case...what else are they skipping as well?

Last edited:
do you need to get a safety done when you are selling a current year bike? I never had to do it before when i sold the ones i had in 2013.
I'm selling my 2016 Ninja and not sure one is needed to sell it.

And what do you mean "it was a joke" how long did it take?

Up to an hour I've had to wait. The quickest took 30 seconds. I sat there inside the shop watching them do it and it was clear that no one there knew anything about motorcycles. One time I had a big dude who was clearly drunk and he even test rode the bike around the block. Every location will be different but so far bunch of idiots if you ask me. The only location that seemed to be competent was the Dufferin & Finch Auto Centre but they were expensive as hell (over $100).

do you need to get a safety done when you are selling a current year bike? I never had to do it before when i sold the ones i had in 2013.
I'm selling my 2016 Ninja and not sure one is needed to sell it.

Need a safety anytime ownership is changing hands after original sale, even if the bike only has 100km on it. You don't need to do it but the buyer will have to before they can plate it

Hello,

Does anyone know what is part of a 'Safety certificate test'? What are the criterias/ checklists a mechanic is looking for to determine if your bike has passed the safety or not?

Thanks,

download Ontario Reg 611 and refer to schedule 6 for what is checked on a motorcycle safety

FWIW, The person doing the inspection should have a motorcycle licence. If they don't, they can't perform the inspection properly since part of it is a stop from at least 30KPH...which would require the bike to be running and ridden by the inspector.

I hear a lot of places skip that step simply rolling it ahead on the shop floor and seeing if the brakes work at all, but in that case...what else are they skipping as well?
I agree with you. The reason of this post is because I recently made one on a bike and it failed. I got a list of repair that needs to be done to pass the safety and I'm questionning a bit some of the things I'm seeing ... one of which is the front signal lights. It is working but I was told it's need to stick out from the chasis. Wondering if that info is legit or if they're trying to make an extra bucks here. Previous owner mentioned he passed safety whe he had it, so why would I fail and have to make those extra repair which seems questionable in some of them?

I agree with you. The reason of this post is because I recently made one on a bike and it failed. I got a list of repair that needs to be done to pass the safety and I'm questionning a bit some of the things I'm seeing ... one of which is the front signal lights. It is working but I was told it's need to stick out from the chasis. Wondering if that info is legit or if they're trying to make an extra bucks here. Previous owner mentioned he passed safety whe he had it, so why would I fail and have to make those extra repair which seems questionable in some of them?

Looks like the guy your getting the safety done by is actually following the guidelines......yes there is a minimum distance that the blinkers need to be......

Back
Top Bottom