Broken hand... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Broken hand...

Chaos

Well, this put a bit of a damper on my riding season...

I broke the scaphoid bone in my right hand falling from... my bicycle! Who would've thought it's be a bicycle and not a motorcycle to do me in.

Good luck with recovery, do as much psyical therapy as you can so you can hopefully get as much strength and motion back as possible. I fractured my right radius bone in my wrist about 4 years ago. And it still hurts, especially after I ride. Took forever to get back to where it is now, and its still messed up. Took about a year just to be able to bend it 90% of how I can bend the left wrist and hold my body weight or lift anything heavy

Last edited:
Hope you get better man... But if you have a cast maybe you can attach one of those cruise control things to it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I broke the scaphoid bone in my right hand falling from... my bicycle! Who would've thought it's be a bicycle and not a motorcycle to do me in.

Sorry about the hand. But it's funny you mention bicycle; I recently resurrected my Specialized Hardrock MB and rode it around the block a few times. Thing scared the **** out of me. I'm so used to the heavy Fazer that the bike felt unstable and darty and entirely unsuitable for riding. Nothing wrong with the bike, just so not used to it...

Sorry to hear, hope that recovers quickly!

I had a similar experience last year. I low-sided at the track on a Saturday, slow and mild enough to do manage another session. Leg was notably sore the next day, as to be expected.

Two days later I went for a bicycle ride to stretch out the leg - hit a curb, head over handlebars, and ended up with a sprained left shoulder and tendonitis in my right elbow. Out of commission for nearly 3 months.

If it wasn't such a ridiculous notion, I'd wear my one-piece while on the bicycle, too.

Sorry about the hand. But it's funny you mention bicycle; I recently resurrected my Specialized Hardrock MB and rode it around the block a few times. Thing scared the **** out of me. I'm so used to the heavy Fazer that the bike felt unstable and darty and entirely unsuitable for riding. Nothing wrong with the bike, just so not used to it...

I had the same experience...I thought my handlebars were broken as they moved so easily. Also felt like I was going to fall over the bars as everything was so cramped.

The scahpoid bone is a ***** to cure. Mine took about three to four months in a cast. It takes a lot of time to set since it can move around a lot, it doesn't get enough time to start fusing. If the bone doesn't start to heal by itself, then surgery is the only option. Hopefully yours will be fine, try to rest as possible and get a ruler for the cast, that itch is a B*****. Mine was also from a mountain bike accident.

I am always amazed at the speeds downhill and the lack of protective equipment that many road riders use. A half helmet and spandex, and you hit 60-70kph downhill? They are bound by tradition.

Take care of your scaphoid. Bones in the hand are tiny and there are so many joints it is near impossible to move your thumb and not move your scaphoid, so it is best not to move your thumb. Using your hand without your thumb will reduce your hand's utility by 40%. You can try using the other hand more. If the doc gave you a plaster cast, ask for the coloured fiberglass ones, called "Scotchcast", which are lighter, waterproof and just as itchy.

Take a look at the numerous bones in each hand, 27 bones, many multi faceted. They move in so many planes so no wonder we have such dexterity. Unfortunately it is so difficult to keep these bones immobile in order to heal. The foot has 26, many also multi faceted.

Take it easy on the hand...

Buddy of mine took a tumble from his bicycle on the hill at Yonge/401 area. He got a lot of road rash as he was wearing spandex. Nothing broken but got sent for massage/physio.

Took an allergic reaction to something and ended up with a skin rash on top of road rash.

And they think we are crazy.

Heal fast - pineapple helps knit bones together, or at least I'm convinced of it. Some chick named Aliki let me in on that secret. Lol. OD on pineapple chunks!

Rightttttt

10523731_10154423737820328_2615252567082435649_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom