24 with a Yamaha R6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

24 with a Yamaha R6

RKR6

Hey guys,

Bought my first big time bike, Cadmium Yellow R6.

Now what the heck do I do about insurance? I'm doing the riders course this weekend and will be set to get my M2 within 60 days of my M1... I can put my father on the policy as he already has his license.

Any recommendations/hookups?

Big Thanks,

RK

Hey guys,

Now what the heck do I do about insurance? I'm doing the riders course this weekend and will be set to get my M2 within 60 days of my M1... I can put my father on the policy as he already has his license.

Big Thanks,

RK

Does ur dad have a bike? How long has he had his license?
if there are two bikes and two riders each person would be a primary driver on the bikes
if he is a new rider insurance will be high for him as well

call ur insurance they know best

Always check insurance before you buy.
Go down to the insurance section of the forum...there you will see lots of places to start calling around.

Bought my first big time bike, Cadmium Yellow R6. Now what the heck do I do about insurance?

Unless you have a very hefty disposable income, you sell it and buy something you'll actually be able to afford insurance on as a freshly minted M2 rider under the age of 25. A 600cc Supersport isn't that bike.

I can put my father on the policy as he already has his license.

It'll just cost you more because of this below.

if there are two bikes and two riders each person would be a primary driver on the bikes

Always check insurance before you buy.

Yep.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there's no way to sugar coat it really.

I looked into 600s as well but places didn't want to insure me or it was insanely expensive. So instead I figured I would ride a year or two on a ninja 300 ($86/month with fresh M2)

Sell bike for 1/4 what you paid to someone who can afford to insure it.

Learn lesson for next bike purchase. i.e. Check insurance before purchase.

It's easy to buy a bike as it can be a steal, and then the insurance is the hard part to swallow. G2M2 rider here, 1 year of riding behind my belt, 1 non-at fault claim behind my belt, 1 dead 2013 CBR250RA behind my belt and in the end I got a great insurance deal on a 650cc bike. Mind the fact I called around almost daily and asked quotes for different bikes from Cruisers to Nakeds to Sports Bikes. And if you do some digging around you would figure that SS bikes are often in $4500+ bracket do to the Super Sports sub charge that insurance in force.

I could have went and gotten a nice looking Yellow/Black 04 CBR600F4i for $2500 but insurance would have been $4550 so I went with a 650 with insurance being $2100 only and mind you that I'm 23 and from Brampton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked into 600s as well but places didn't want to insure me or it was insanely expensive. So instead I figured I would ride a year or two on a ninja 300 ($86/month with fresh M2)

Most insurance won't deal with new riders and new riders trying to insure 600-1000cc bikes. Most new riders start on 250/300 bikes as its not as punishing as an R6 for both the rider health and the pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

Big Thanks,

RK

When are you turning 25? If not very long, I would wait. If you are turning 25 at the end of the year, sell the bike for
a profit if you bought it on a good deal. After you turn 25, make some phone calls to insurance and see what they say.
You could also put your dad into policy now if he does not have a bike. Then you can be secondary rider. I am not sure
how that works, anyone want to chime in?

If you decide to wait and do live in a house, lock up the bike in your garage, living room anywhere. Out of sight, out
of mind which means thieves would not know either.

Hey guys,

Big Thanks,

RK

Good luck with that buddy!

When are you turning 25? If not very long, I would wait. If you are turning 25 at the end of the year, sell the bike for
a profit if you bought it on a good deal. After you turn 25, make some phone calls to insurance and see what they say.
You could also put your dad into policy now if he does not have a bike. Then you can be secondary rider. I am not sure
how that works, anyone want to chime in?

If you decide to wait and do live in a house, lock up the bike in your garage, living room anywhere. Out of sight, out
of mind which means thieves would not know either.

Primary driver(DAD) would need to have a M(1,2 etc) license to get insurance.

Ins. isn't stupid. They will still charge for the highest risk driver/rider.

No doubt there. I'm listed as a 2nd driver on one of the cars, technically the car is mine but the paperwork and everything else is under a family member, however all payments come out of my bank account. They know that the car is mine even truth the paperwork claims otherwise lol.

Not quite the same. Payments go out of your acct, cause that's what you gave them. You premium amount is based on you though, as the higher risk driver.

sell a kindey

lmao

when i was under 25 with an m2 and I could only get facility quotes on an r6.. I think it was just under $4500 if I recall correctly. Clean record too

Sorry man I know it sucks to hear but those insurance companies are gonna want blood

Last edited:
why all the riders are doing the opposite ? Getting the bike and then Insurance ? Dude .. Get a Insurance quote first !!!

I will purchase your bike off you cheap.
...i need a new, dedicated track bike

why all the young riders are doing the opposite ? Getting the bike and then Insurance ? Dude .. Get a Insurance quote first !!!

Edited to add the proper wording( all the young riders).

Back
Top Bottom