Can a friend request M2 upgrade on my behalf ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can a friend request M2 upgrade on my behalf ?

callmembm

Hello GTA community,

I'm a new rider and live in between Canada and overseas. I took my course with RTI on April 23rd and passed the M1 exit, now i'll need to request the upgrade at drivers test but unfortunately I'm not in the country to do so, I was told previously by Drive Test that I can authorize a friend and send a letter with signed documents and they'll approve it. I called back the drive test centers to ensure the correct documents I'm submitting and I was told that I cannot authorize anyone.

Upon few phone calls and trying different agents, I was told to check with the drive test locally whether they will accept it or not.

Alternatively I was told by RTI that my result is valid for 6 months with MTO, and I can go in even after my M1 is expired after the 90 days and they will automatically give me an M2. Even the MTO agent was unsure about this.

So based on all this has anyone had been through such a similar experience or know someone?

Will I be able to head to drivers test after my m1 is expired and request for a M2 even though test results are still valid ??

Thank

I don't think you can authorize anyone, but I could be wrong. I know my sister was out of province going graduate school in BC, and had issues with the MTO. If memory serves she had to restart things as her G2 expired while away.

Even if RTI is slightly wrong (they probably are not though), I believe at most you would have to pay to write the M1/G1 paper test again ($10 or $20 I think), then immediately submit the RTI results and be upgraded to a M2. The 60-90 day wait doesn't apply if you have already done it once before.

Also if memory serves, when you hand in the paperwork for M2 they take your photo again to issue you a new/updated plastic license. This means you need to be there, as there is no way to do it via proxy.

From the Ontario MTO site:

Please note: If you take your Level One road test as part of a ministry-approved motorcycle safety course, you must still wait 60 days minimum to move to Level Two. Remember that the course certificate is valid for only six months. Be sure to take it to a DriveTest Centre after the 60 days but before the six months have passed, or you will have to take your road test again.

It's valid for 6 months.

Check the FAQs on www.ridertraining.ca if you doubt this
That's usually my response to my wife when I doubt her: FaQ ?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

I don't think you can authorize anyone, but I could be wrong. I know my sister was out of province going graduate school in BC, and had issues with the MTO. If memory serves she had to restart things as her G2 expired while away.

Even if RTI is slightly wrong (they probably are not though), I believe at most you would have to pay to write the M1/G1 paper test again ($10 or $20 I think), then immediately submit the RTI results and be upgraded to a M2. The 60-90 day wait doesn't apply if you have already done it once before.

Also if memory serves, when you hand in the paperwork for M2 they take your photo again to issue you a new/updated plastic license. This means you need to be there, as there is no way to do it via proxy.

From the Ontario MTO site:

It's valid for 6 months.

Check the FAQs on www.ridertraining.ca if you doubt this

Thank you all for the feedback, been on and off with MTO and drivetest call center and going to try my luck by sending in a friend with a copy of my DL
signed and letter. If not I'll be visiting Canada end of august and redo the M1/G1 test and get an immediate upgrade for M2

If you are back in Canada any time before October 23rd you can bring in your RTI papers and get your M2 you won't need to rewrite M1.

There's no more paperwork to bring in, it's all submitted electronically by the school (yay computers). As posted above, your test results are good for 6 months. If your M1 has expired you will have to rewrite it (you have to have a valid M1 in the system to upgrade to an M2, yay computers) but you won't have to wait 60 days after rewriting to upgrade to the m2.

If you are back in Canada any time before October 23rd you can bring in your RTI papers and get your M2 you won't need to rewrite M1.

There's no more paperwork to bring in, it's all submitted electronically by the school (yay computers). As posted above, your test results are good for 6 months. If your M1 has expired you will have to rewrite it (you have to have a valid M1 in the system to upgrade to an M2, yay computers) but you won't have to wait 60 days after rewriting to upgrade to the m2.

Yes guys, thanks for the reply, drive test centre told my friend that I'll get immediate upgrade to M2 after writing my M1 test again.

Fingers crossed, i'm returning in September.

Just noticed this thread. You *CAN* authorize someone else to perform procedural tasks on your behalf at Service Ontario, just a few weeks ago I did exactly that for my wife. The Bowmanville location actually had a sample authorization form that I had to reproduce along with all the required info and signatures, but with that done, no issue.

Perhaps the drive test centers (where one needs to go for the simple procedural upgrade?) would allow the same with proper authorization? Might be worth a call.

Just noticed this thread. You *CAN* authorize someone else to perform procedural tasks on your behalf at Service Ontario, just a few weeks ago I did exactly that for my wife. The Bowmanville location actually had a sample authorization form that I had to reproduce along with all the required info and signatures, but with that done, no issue.

Perhaps the drive test centers (where one needs to go for the simple procedural upgrade?) would allow the same with proper authorization? Might be worth a call.

Service Ontario has that but Drive test centre wouldn't. My friend tried at Brampton & Port Union locations, both refused.

Folks, just to update, I walked into drive test center 19 days after my M1 was expired. I told the attendant I'm here to rewrite my M1 and go for an immediate upgrade. She said no need to write the M1 exam as my RTI certificate is valid for 6 months, so she gave me an immediate upgrade to M2.

Thanks everyone for their response.

Back
Top Bottom