rough draft proposal. Masters of english language needed | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

rough draft proposal. Masters of english language needed

i wouldnt say im sending out generic letters. if the owner isnt in, I don't want to leave my folder to be placed in the trash by some low level manager. The people I've met in the 'industry' here suck. Toronto's scene and the people in it make montreals scene look like high school. I think it all comes down to how the interaction goes. Feeling the hipwest vibess

My dearest, James25, you're in Montreal, the artistic capital of Canada! Toronto's way too commercial, if that's your scene. You could really thrive as a DJ where you are. Soak in the culture. It's different than TO. You must think like a Montrealer. Just like in the movie "Firefox" when Clint's character is told: "You must think in Russian". Same thing goes for where you are.

[video=youtube;l3R-W_Etm2g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3R-W_Etm2g[/video]

It looks to me from your letter you have no paid experience. My guess is the only response you'll get are from clubs who figure they can string your naive young a** along to mix a set for a few nights and never pay up. You even said it's all about $$$.

If you want to be seen as credible, you have to earn it. Pistachio probably nailed it (not that I have any DJ experience but she made a lot of sense). The point is you need to show what you can do, not talk about it. If you're not going to earn your time in trenches then at least bring your music to the the club and let them hear your stuff, feel your energy. And if you won't do that, then at least paste a QR code linking to your soundcloud account (it took me some time to find it) so they can hear something.

Yeah thats what I was thinking too. perfection is imperfection

I got into dj'ing cause im fed up with listening to other ****** djs

Most venues dont care about the music. they just care about the $$$. the people don't know good music. id say 80% of local dj's in montreal don't know jack. i spoke with one guy in moog who dj's a lot of venues in the area about buying portable speaker. I said connect the speaker with your phone and play some good house music on blast. the guy played the shittiest tech house song. i wanted to question his music selection but i didn't care enough.

i understand now what deadmouse meant in an interview back in 2007? when he said he hates other djs who don't produce

No, I don't think that at all. You come across as a braggart in your letter, indicating businesses don't know their own business. That's insulting.

My humble .02, you're among friends here you should run this by a dispassionate crowd. To reiterate, .02.

That is the best advice ever for anyone starting any business. Do not ask friends for opinions because most won't want to tell you the truth if your product is mediocre or worse.

My dearest, James25, you're in Montreal, the artistic capital of Canada! Toronto's way too commercial, if that's your scene. You could really thrive as a DJ where you are. Soak in the culture. It's different than TO. You must think like a Montrealer.

ingraining myself in the culture risks losing focus. im stuck here for 410 more days. i don't want to think like a montrealer. I'd be wasting valuable time. need to complete my school and gtfo. I'm only on this planet for another 50 years then im dead. i don't want friends here unless they are friends working towards same goals. i've hung out with some people in the 'industry'. the atmospheres i've been too are mostly try too hard wimpy personality types who do ****** drugs, or nutters i don't want to associate myself with

but i am im living like a montrealer though. im scraping by every month :D. Have to do this for another year. its a humbling experience. leaving a good paying job to live in the trenches like a rat. looking forward to that rebound

Last edited:
ingraining myself in the culture risks losing focus. im stuck here for 410 more days. i don't want to think like a montrealer. I'd be wasting valuable time. need to complete my school and gtfo. I'm only on this planet for another 50 years then im dead. i don't want friends here unless they are friends working towards same goals. i've hung out with some people in the 'industry'. the atmospheres i've been too are mostly try too hard wimpy personality types who do ****** drugs, or nutters i don't want to associate myself with

but i am im living like a montrealer though. im scraping by every month :D. Have to do this for another year. its a humbling experience. leaving a good paying job to live in the trenches like a rat. looking forward to that rebound

You have 1 year left, seems like you wasting your time and on a fools errand.
From what you describe, you would be lucky to get 1 dj job a month at some small dinky bar.

Now you want to invest all the time and effort to market yourself...but you are gone in a year.

Why not get a simple job somewhere (hell security) or basic retail job...work at a gym or sports club...whatever and spend your time with school and developing apps.

Or are you under the illusion that you will make a catchy flyer and somehow all these places will just want you...the unknown outsider/out of towner...to walk in and take over their club...mmmm good luck with that.

Paid and popular Dj's built their following it did not happen with 1 catchy flyer.

You can try your letters, but I am with others in that there is very little chance it will work. You also say "if the owner isnt in, I don't want to leave my folder to be placed in the trash by some low level manager." Guess who books people for off nights? Your best bet is developing a relationship with a low level manager and trying to pick up a tuesday or wednesday. If you are holding out for Thurs-Sat, quit now.

Bars care about people you can bring in. I don't know if soundcloud lets you livestream, but if it does, try to build a following. As someone said above, if you can go to a bar saying that 1000 people in Montreal tune in every week to listen to you and some want to go somewhere to see you live, they may give you a night to see what you can do.

As with most things, getting these jobs is way more about the relationships than the actual performance. I obviously don't know you, but from what I have seen, with the constant bitching and moaning I would give up on getting paid to make music and just have fun making it.

You have 1 year left, seems like you wasting your time and on a fools errand.
From what you describe, you would be lucky to get 1 dj job a month at some small dinky bar.

Now you want to invest all the time and effort to market yourself...but you are gone in a year.

Why not get a simple job somewhere (hell security) or basic retail job...work at a gym or sports club...whatever and spend your time with school and developing apps.

Or are you under the illusion that you will make a catchy flyer and somehow all these places will just want you...the unknown outsider/out of towner...to walk in and take over their club...mmmm good luck with that.

Paid and popular Dj's built their following it did not happen with 1 catchy flyer.

might not need to. this guy who scouted me for modelling has connections to some mtl clubs. going to know everything on sunday :/ was scouted by this older dude who built a career in fashion industry and his main connections are greece and italy. im encouraged to go to Athens right away (I look greek apparently) I'm told I would get jobs really quick for something specific he has in mind. If I go for 3 months I miss the opportunity to do this last year of school. this all happened in last two weeks. never modelled before

my ex girlfriend would be Most Mad

basically have to start being a selfie whore and post lots of pictures on instagram of my face which im not really about. but my best friend is an international model and hes banging 19 yr olds who are 10/10. its not even a guarantee ill make anything. id be going on this guys roll of the dice

https://www.instagram.com/nobasicsound/ (criticism welcome)

i ono. apparently 1 campaign is all it takes to travel around europe doing this thing. 30k millionaire ;)

thinking about it to be honest. i think if i wait ill lose the opportunity

this is my best friends. hes in china right now. he was in singapore before china. he's taking the organic beginner way to building his portfolio before hitting up europe (i think hes hitting up nyc after china). this guy wants to put me straight into europe. he says run way shows are pretty much a guarantee which is cool i guess. if athens kicks off go straight to Milan next. i see where this guy is coming from typing all this out. he doesn't bother building portfolios. u either make it or you dont . im going to run everything by my friend and hes going to talk to his people. if everything checks out, ya i think id go . so far so good

https://www.instagram.com/mrjustinhilton/

we ripped toronto

Last edited:
cool blog, bruh

i got no one to talk to here. the sun rises and sun sets. i hang by myself. or with that italian girl but i only see her couple times a week if that. broke :) and i have no problem being broke (for now). i've learnt to appreciate the value of a dollar. i spent so much ****ing money buying materialistic stuff that i dont even own anymore. my life is literally in 2 suitcases and 3 suits from harrys

Last edited:
As a former DJ/electronic musician/performance lesbian artist, I recommend this: you should target a particular nightclub, know them inside and out. Go drink there, get to know the people. I wouldn't send out generic letters, unless you already are known in the industry. You can try, but your letter, no matter how well written, will likely be tossed out. There's no harm trying, of course.

If you're not already in the scene, then you should get your brand out there first. If you haven't done this already, I'd recommend trying to get a radio show on the local campus community radio station (in montreal there's CKUT). That will give you some credibility, recognition, and networking opportunities with other DJs and promoters. That's how I started. Getting a radio show is relatively easy, if you're willing to put in the time.

Good luck!

I always wondered what a sober post from you would look like

@James
Dude, it sounds like you are being setup as a drug mule or sex worker.

Read your story again, sounds very sketchy to me.

@James
Dude, it sounds like you are being setup as a drug mule or sex worker.

Read your story again, sounds very sketchy to me.

Gotta admit I had the same reaction. "Too good to be true" and all that jazz.

Forget the DJing. Talk to a screenwriter. We're talking mini-series at least. Daniel Levy would jump on the part.

fa020b38264ed9e2657a387716d318c5.jpg

Last edited:
Why the hell are you trying to fine tune DJ skills why you are going through school for mobile application development?

You should spend time getting a github account or similar account and working on a development portfolio that will create a positive impression for your future employer. If I saw a resume for a development position and your major accomplishment was DJ'ing, I would pass...

Why the hell are you trying to fine tune DJ skills why you are going through school for mobile application development?

You should spend time getting a github account or similar account and working on a development portfolio that will create a positive impression for your future employer. If I saw a resume for a development position and your major accomplishment was DJ'ing, I would pass...
Don't you want some music at work?

the dj thing is to kill time

Back
Top Bottom