Tailtidy and missing reflectors | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tailtidy and missing reflectors

empty

I've noticed on my bike and most other bikes that have the huge rear fender removed all don't have the red reflectors mounted. The tail tidy kits don't include reflector mounts.
Has anybody gotten a ticket for missing reflectors?

Would most likely be an add on ticket. Like if you get stopped for speeding.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Most of my bikes over the last 3 decades didn't have reflectors on for long....if they had them when I got them.

I've noticed on my bike and most other bikes that have the huge rear fender removed all don't have the red reflectors mounted. The tail tidy kits don't include reflector mounts.
Has anybody gotten a ticket for missing reflectors?

For what it's worth, one of my previous tail tidies did come with a separate piece that allowed you to mount reflectors. Luckily it was optional (it stayed in a box.)

More likely to get you for no mudguard.

Not sure why anyone would neuter their bikes.

More likely to get you for no mudguard.

Not sure why anyone would neuter their bikes.

Because "mud guards" on modern motorcycles look retarded:

041416-2017-yamaha-FZ-10-Grey_4_l.jpg

How is hacking off a wart "neutering" one's bike?

Because "mud guards" on modern motorcycles look retarded:

041416-2017-yamaha-FZ-10-Grey_4_l.jpg

How is hacking off a wart "neutering" one's bike?

To me the reverse looks retarded. You're turning a bull into a steer. Might as well give the bike to the girl friend after that.

To me the reverse looks retarded. You're turning a bull into a steer. Might as well give the bike to the girl friend after that.

If you see the license-plate-holder-extension-pretending-to-be-a-mudguard as a bull's nutsack I say all the more reason to remove it tout de suite. :p

There have been several discussions lately about add-ons to motorcycles.
Some people think they look great, others feel they reduce the look of the bike.
It would appear there are similar opinions on what should be removed.
For my part, I think the maker put it there for a reason.
But no doubt some will disagree.

They are there for regulatory reasons. I am hard pressed to believe any manufacturer envisions their designs with these ugly protrusions. All that being said I prefer to not give the police any more reason to ticket so it stays in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding mudguards/fenders...It's too bad manufacturers didn't make the actual seat/tail of the bike longer, so they don't need a giant guard sticking off the back. Seems older 80s and 90s bikes were designed that way, which also meant a larger passenger seat or more under seat storage space.

Also for any engineers....why doesn't anyone design a fender eliminator that can be either retracted (look like current eliminators) or extended (look like oem guards)? Biggest reason I won't put one on my bike is the fact that it actually is somewhat functional in bad weather. Would be nice if all it took was a thumbscrew or two to move it out and offer up protection in the wet...same way as how you throw a cover over a tail or tank bag if you are expecting rain.

They are there for regulatory reasons. I am hard pressed to believe any manufacturer envisions their designs with these ugly protrusions. All that being said I prefer to not give the police any more reason to ticket so it stays in place.

Part of the problem is the tidies that some guys do place basically remove everything from the rear, leaving the license plate tucked up under the seat with a couple of cheap Chinese LED signals (if that). Yoshimura makes good quality tidies that preserve the OE signals and their spacings and provide a clear, properly-lit mount for the license plate. For example, on the CBR650F:

$_35.JPG

Ninja 300:

5091_3_.jpg

And on an FZ8 (similar to what I have on my Fazer):

$(KGrHqIOKpcE6d+LCEEyBOvHf3O8,!~~60_35.JPG

I think the police are going to care more about signals removed and/or swapped with cheesy, dim and near-invisible junk and plates mounted where they can barely be seen or at goofy angles then the bike only missing a hook-nose "mudguard." On many of the Yoshi tidies I have think most people would be hard pressed to know that the bike didn't come from the factory like that.

Just incase anybody cared.... The reflectors are there so others can see your bike parked at the side of the road when the lights are off.

My used bike came without reflectors and I'm going to put some on. I'm thinking of framing the license plate on both side and the bottom to get the coverage required. They won't block the plate and the plate will camouflage them pretty good.

I took the tail off my 2013 gsxr600 which I got brand new it had NO rear reflectors from new.....

Odd... Maybe the dealership took them off cause they kinda look ugly and might improve the chances of a sale??

001.jpg

Part of the problem is the tidies that some guys do place basically remove everything from the rear, leaving the license plate tucked up under the seat with a couple of cheap Chinese LED signals (if that). Yoshimura makes good quality tidies that preserve the OE signals and their spacings and provide a clear, properly-lit mount for the license plate. For example, on the CBR650F:

$_35.JPG

Ninja 300:

5091_3_.jpg

And on an FZ8 (similar to what I have on my Fazer):

$(KGrHqIOKpcE6d+LCEEyBOvHf3O8,!~~60_35.JPG

I think the police are going to care more about signals removed and/or swapped with cheesy, dim and near-invisible junk and plates mounted where they can barely be seen or at goofy angles then the bike only missing a hook-nose "mudguard." On many of the Yoshi tidies I have think most people would be hard pressed to know that the bike didn't come from the factory like that.

Funny enough, I saw a ton of bikes on Saturday out riding, and the one sportbike stood out.. why? because the guy still had the stock OEM indicators and used them! I was able to see his intention to change lanes clearly. The majority of riders on SportBikes have the integrated lights and also never use indicators. Sometimes they use hand signals. I never modified my tail lights on any of my bikes from OEM. Gives the LEO's one less thing to pull you over for..

If you really want reflectors use these. I have them on mine. attach them to the bottom holes or use them to mount the plate.
licreflectors.jpg

I just finished putting a bracket behind the license and mounting the reflectors to the bracket.
Those buttons would have been easier. Where did you find them?

I think the R6 has/had an easy to remove "rear mudguard" for trackdays. They've become so bizarrely sculptural that keeping one is a contrarian statement.

$_35.JPG

Funny enough that was the one I was debating for a while. Although it uses the OEM signals and looks more 'original' than some of the other options, it still is so small you are going to spray road grime over the back of your bike, jacket, helmet, etc if riding in the wet.

Also apparently Yoshi doesn't space the screws right for Ontario plates, so your options are either drill your plate to fit, or skip using the frame bracket. Personally I find that a little sad, given the cost of the unit...but I guess that's what happens when bike plate sizing/mounting isn't standard across provinces/countries like it is with cars.

Back
Top Bottom