Sport Touring Bikes $5000-$5000 before taxes. CBF1000... 1250 Bandit? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sport Touring Bikes $5000-$5000 before taxes. CBF1000... 1250 Bandit?

I put the top case on so that my wife would ride with me more often (she felt more secure with a backrest). I ended up loving having the thing. I love the look of a naked bike but I don't think I could go back to not having some sort of enclosed storage option on a bike. Even though it is a relatively small top case I have been able to go away for a night or two without a problem. It blows away having to rely on a backpack. I think going to a Sport Touring type of bike is going to be a good next step for me.

Today was a great day to commute on a bike. :)

Lovely weather today ...trundled the kitted out Queen Mary to the Forks....got some looks over the fuel can.
Have you put a forsale sign on your bike? Works sometimes

The old girl found a loving home. Guy has a BMW Sport Tourer and another bike already (can't remember what the second bike was). He is planning to restore the CB which would be cool to see when it is done.

I ended up buying Hack's Bandit. They are different than the CBF1000. Rev a little slower, but more torque down low. In 6th gear at highway speeds it will accelerate well in a roll on without a need for a downshift. 6th gear is a very relaxing 3500 rpm with no vibration I could tell at that speed. Going to be fun to try some longer rides. I could only handle 2 hours max with the CB.

Had to get some gas on the way home:

Looking forward to many seasons with it. I wonder if I will keep it 4 years like I did the CB or longer? Some of you guys change bikes every year or so. Yikes!

Congratulations, that's a really sweet setup, luggage and all. I had a 1200 bandit, great bike.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Congratulations, that's a really sweet setup, luggage and all. I had a 1200 bandit, great bike.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Thanks. I think this will really fit the bill for me. Not sure whether to use the top case for day to day use or the panniers. What is nice is how much integrated these systems are now. A quick turn of a key and a push of a button and a pannier or top box is off. What is interesting is that Hack said that when he bought the bike new in 2008 it only had side panniers as a factory option. So, he bought the Giviesque top box and a mod kit to be able to mount all the boxes. So, I can have panniers and a rear grab bar if I want to reinstall the factory rack or I can keep the current system in place. My wife wants a backrest when she rides pinnion so I will keep the current system in place so that the top box can be easily reinstalled in a moment's notice. The factory setup probably looks a bit better but it is hard to give up that much adaptability and flexibility.

Nice Bike! I used to ride with no top case and only side cases, but now I find myself rarely riding with the side cases and only with the top case. Narrow bike is easier to ride. That set up the way it is in the pic is perfect for versatility. I hear those bikes are great on gas for longer rides at steady cruising speeds, but they get thirsty when opened up on the twisty roads.

I think I will try the top box for commuting next week. I ended up taking the panniers off in the garage because the bike seemed so wide. On a trip though they would be awesome. I can fit my full faced helmet into any of the boxes so they are all a decent size. Other than a kitted out Wee Strom I can't imagine any other sort of bike that is such a "Swiss Army Knife" sort of thing (able to handle so many different roles). For now at least I think a Sports Tourer is the perfect fit for me. :)

From the side the panniers look right but from the rear they seem super wide.

Last edited:
Top case is definitely the right answer.

I have virtually the same luggage setup on my FZ1, V35's and E52 top case (your chinese copy looks near identical). While the V35's are great for travelling, the small size per bag limits large items they can fit. E52 fits everything I've thrown at it, including a medium pizza.

Besides the storage practicality, riding a bike around town is much easier when it's not as wide as a Smart Car

Top case is definitely the right answer.

I have virtually the same luggage setup on my FZ1, V35's and E52 top case (your chinese copy looks near identical). While the V35's are great for travelling, the small size per bag limits large items they can fit. E52 fits everything I've thrown at it, including a medium pizza.

Besides the storage practicality, riding a bike around town is much easier when it's not as wide as a Smart Car

I think Hack said that the top case is a 47L. A smaller one may or may look any better on the bike but it would be hard to give up all that room in the top case. I already packed clean shield in there, cleaning goodies etc. Not sure if I will lock the helmet in there or not. I have room in the driver compartment to hang the helmet bag behind me. Not sure if it is true or not but I heard a rumor that Givi bought the company that was making these cases and still make them under a different name and to a slightly lower quality. Could be all B.S. Who knows... I am pretty sure Givi made the panniers. Clips are identical but the straps in the pannier are multicolored versus the plain red in the top box. Locks appear identical but perhaps the legit Givi are better?

Hmmm...

This is the next project (assuming Canada Post gets these here before a lockout occurs).

The first one I bought from Motorcycle Innocations. It is hard wired to the battery. Handlebar mounted with USB and 12V socket. On and off switch on it so that you don't drain your battery when the bike is off. I have the RAM mount from the CB so I will run google maps and I could have the phone charging while I am riding.

If that does not work for some reason I have one of these incoming. Hooks up to the battery hookup. Only pain is that I will be hooking and unhooking it all the time versus the "clean" install of the other option:

Last edited:
I think Hack said that the top case is a 47L. A smaller one may or may look any better on the bike but it would be hard to give up all that room in the top case. I already packed clean shield in there, cleaning goodies etc. Not sure if I will lock the helmet in there or not. I have room in the driver compartment to hang the helmet bag behind me. Not sure if it is true or not but I heard a rumor that Givi bought the company that was making these cases and still make them under a different name and to a slightly lower quality. Could be all B.S. Who knows... I am pretty sure Givi made the panniers. Clips are identical but the straps in the pannier are multicolored versus the plain red in the top box. Locks appear identical but perhaps the legit Givi are better?

Hmmm...
The brand you are thinking about is Kappa and they are owned by Givi. Prices and quality are a little cheaper.

I have the exact same setup of V35's and 46l Kappa top box. Are you sure a full face can fit in the V35's? What helmet do you have?

The side cases on the Bandit are indeed Suzuki branded Givi's.
Top case in a no -name from AJ Whitney, an American auto supply company.

Last edited:
The brand you are thinking about is Kappa and they are owned by Givi. Prices and quality are a little cheaper.

I have the exact same setup of V35's and 46l Kappa top box. Are you sure a full face can fit in the V35's? What helmet do you have?

Nope. I seem to have been mistaken. I have a couple of Icon Alliance full faced helmets (my wife actually fits the same helmet I have).

The top case is easy. It almost fits the helmet with the helmet upright (not quite). On its side the helmet has room to spare. I wonder if I can put two helmets in there?

The V35 does not seem to fit. If I really force it I can make it shut but I doubt that is good for the helmet or Givi. I think because the helmet is a long oval that is why I can get it somewhat close.

It is amazing how much the top box can swallow. I put my work shoes, work bag, clear shield, and other stuff into the top case. Then when I get to work I put my shoes on and the A * SMX 5 boots go into the topbox. I was able to carefully fold my Olympia jacket and make it fit into there so that the only thing I had to carry was my helmet in its helmet bag and my work bag. I put the panniers back on and for fun I am going to see what I can do having the panniers with me.

I have to say I can see why Givi is such a well known and respected brand with removable luggage/panniers/top boxes. Very good quality kit.

I have been making the bandit mine. I removed the three aftermarket stickers the previous owner had put on the bike (one sticker on each pannier and this one on the right fairing):

I put the RAM mount on so that I can use my Galaxy S5 for GPS use with Google Maps:

And I got lucky that the Postal lockout has not happened yet. My USB /12V charger made it today! :)

I found this little gem on a sport touring forum. You can get it here:
https://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/Dual_USB_Port_with_cig_port_p/usbport2_bar.htm

It would be nice to have a hard wired Garmin but this setup should work well for me. A water resistant phone like the Galaxy S5 or the new Galaxy S7 running Google Maps plus a power source to keep it charged up should work pretty well.

I have been making the bandit mine

Nice bike
Check out http://www.holeshot.com lots of specialty parts he developed himself for touring.. streetfighter...performance and such specific for the bandits. Dale walker has a bandit modded with his performance doodads running 150hp with crazy tourque numbers.
The first thing I did was get rid of the cannon launcher exhaust. Pair valve blockoff for decel pop remove air filter snorkel and bike performs way better

I had a 2008 Bandit 1250 for a couple of years too. Very similar set up. The bike was a great all arounder and I toured on it quite a bit. The only thing I found a bit lacking was the front suspension. Here's a picture of mine when I first got it.

34909_448670391927_3430772_n.jpg

that little lighter adapter USB hooker upper is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks Zoodles.

The top case and panniers on my triumph 1050 sport tiger being genuine Triumph parts cost double what Givi costs, hold approx 50% less, but are very stylish and hard to operate.

3c3701d6-f69a-48e0-9d3a-49638fd71006.jpg

Same bike, 85000+ km and not a valve out of spec. I couldn't ride without the panniers on it any more! These are Canadian model 1250sae
Auto Cam chain tensioner has fully run out of adjustment (must find APE replacement)
There is a recall on the regulator/rectifier (and pannier reflector upgrades ???) just go to any dealer and have them run the VIN and see what you get.
Suspension is the only real weakness. I had an Ohlins put on the back and the front needs an overhaul. Spindly legs for such a heavy bike but it kept it cheap.
Find a windshield that works for you. Hole Shot for mirror extenders. Lose the 35 lb exhaust. Plug or cap the PAIR system. Remove snorkel from air box.
Chain saver and Seafoam and you are set for years.

I have a stock windshield and a Suzuki adjustable gel seat if you are interested.

And congrats on the new bike!

Last edited:
Nice choice for a tourer. This is my first year (in 20) that I'm riding a cruiser with bags and I'm loving it. Miles are more fun now and still enjoying the twisties as much as the SS litre bikes I'm riding with. Plus I'm laughing watching them constantly shake out their sore joints. You'll have some fun miles on that torque monster.

You think your Bandit is wide with your side cases? I have a set of Givi E-41's for side cases as they didn't make the V35's to fit the older gen bandits! They are super wide because they don't tip in at all and are 41L but they work awesome when commuting (swallow my huge backpack/lunch bag and when I get to work I take out the backpack and store my jacket and helmet in them!) I usually have to remove one case to get the Bandit into the garage and still have room to get the lawn mower etc out!

Back
Top Bottom