Sport Touring Bikes $5000-$5000 before taxes. CBF1000... 1250 Bandit? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sport Touring Bikes $5000-$5000 before taxes. CBF1000... 1250 Bandit?

Zoodles95

Site Supporter
Hi all,

I have been taking a good look at the CBF1000 thanks to Macdoc allowing me to take his beautiful red machine out for a ride. Insurance is all over the map on this bike but All State offered me a good rate on it. The 1250 Bandit also seems like a nice "do it all" sort of bike that would be a good commuter and yet I could take it to Ottawa or up north without breaking a sweat.

Any thoughts of the CBF1000 versus the 1250 Bandit? Power seems fairly similar between them and they both offer nice comfy ergos.

Any other bikes I should be considering? I am obviously going used. ABS would be nice and Fuel Injection is a must on this bike.

Got my 07 1250 bandit used 5 years ago 5000km paid 5 g,s so far piled on 70000 km not penny spent so far other than regular maintenance ie brakes, oil, air filter and tires . Very user friendly bike super easy to carve corners with all that grunt and throw on some bags and tour away.
Found this video of a comparision between the two bikes which describes the bandit perfectly to me anyway.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Adn8nQa7efU

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with the bandit.
I put over 6 figures on mine with just oil changes on her and she never skipped a beat..
One of the best bikes I've owned.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Both the Honda and the Suzuki are rock solid bikes and you really can't go wrong with either. Just follow your gut, which one makes you more excited when thinking about it?

VFR The best all round bike, but then again I am bias having owned one for 13 years and 80,000 k with zero issues

I was surprised at the low seat height ...31.5 and weight is only 15-45 lb more than the CBF but that's likely luggage.

I wonder if insurance differentiates 1 ltr versus 1250

Ninja 1000??

Ninja 1000??

Not on his budget.

May want to check out a V-Strom. It's more touring than sport, but then so are the Bandit and CBF. Biggest advantage is they can be bought for dirt cheap (like $3-3500), and most are already setup with every mod you would want for touring. Hard bags, windshield, etc. get very expensive to buy on their own.

The above also applies to the Versys, a bit sportier, and a bit harder to find.

$3-3500 with ABS and farkles is low for a Wee. That's more KLR turf or non- ABS Wee. $4-5 more like for the Wee. Knowing what the OP is after I don't think the Wee would cut it. Maybe the Vee.

Depends a bit on inseam as well....the Vstroms are on the tall side.

Nice deal here for $4k

$_27.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...se/1175247718?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

but not the rush of the OP bikes...however that 450 km range on a tank is very nice.

$3-3500 with ABS and farkles is low for a Wee. That's more KLR turf or non- ABS Wee. $4-5 more like for the Wee. Knowing what the OP is after I don't think the Wee would cut it. Maybe the Vee.

Nice deal here for $4k

but not the rush of the OP bikes...however that 450 km range on a tank is very nice.

Forgot about the ABS. That is indeed a very good deal ^

Nice deal here for $4k

$_27.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...se/1175247718?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Nicely equipped bike.. Vstrom's are a great bike that will easily rack up the KM's

The Bandit is one of the best bang for the buck bikes ever made. Lots of power, great on twisty roads, comfortable on long trips, tonnes of luggage options and accessories and it is absolutely bullet proof.

I've owned a GSF1250 SEA Bandit for 8 years... 'Bought it new and can honestly say it's been awsome. Suzuki has had a couple of recalls re. potentially defective voltage regulators/rectifiers, but other than that... Nothing.
My Bandit works well as a 'round town/commuter ride as well as a long distance mount.

Last week I did a three day trip into northern(ish) Ontario and Quebec... 1700 km and my 50 year old body had no real complaints.

If you're interested OP I do have mine up for sale...
She'd be completely certified and ready to go.
Here's the link to the GTAM ad I have posted..

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?197082-2008-Suzuki-GSF1250SEA-BANDIT

Last edited:
Just remembered another one - SV1000 if you can find one.

Personally I bought a Fazer 8. After putting a 1,000km on it, I must say that I really like it. 2013+ had a fully adjustable suspension, however it will be tough to get that for $5,000.
If you're a lighter guy (I'm not) you should be okay on an older one, which should be available in your price range.

Last edited:
Just remembered another one - SV1000 if you can find one.

Personally I bought a Fazer 8. After putting a 1,000km on it, I must say that I really like it. 2013+ had a fully adjustable suspension, however it will be tough to get that for $5,000.
If you're a lighter guy (I'm not) you should be okay on an older one, which should be available in your price range.
You bought a fazer? Nice choice. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts vs the vfr. Do you sell the Buell?

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I did sell the Buell.

And yes, Fazer was meant to directly replace the VFR.
As you know, I do a lot of mileage and a SPORTtouring bike makes the most sense for me.
I like the power delivery better than the VFR, engine is quite flexible and just as smooth.
Seat is a bit awkward and I feel more heat than from the VFR. Fuel range is a bit shorter but this is about it.
It's not really a fair comparison because my VFR is old (2000) but at this point I like the Fazer a bit more.

If I had cash though, the latest VFR800 would be an interesting option. My buddy got one and it's a really well put together bike. .... Aside from that hideous exhaust.
I also considered FJ-09 but that was in the same price range as the Honda.
My aim was to stay in between 6-7K. Got the Fazer for $6,300 with 1,400km on it.

For OP, Fazer 8 may be a good option. A 2011 model should go for about $5,000.

BTW, both bikes only require 87 octanes which may not sound like a big deal money wise but if you do a lot of touring, some no name gas stations, only have 87 available.

Many sport touring bikes are tuned for regular gas.

Last edited:
I can only give an opinion on what I've ridden. . . .have no idea about the other ones mentioned. I've got a cruiser and love to tour but it's not a bagger so a couple years ago I bought a GSX1250FA (Bandit without the Bandit name). It came with two paniers and a top box. Plan was to keep it for a couple months, head to the Cabot Trail and sell it.

Then I got used to having the showpiece cruiser for just 'cruzin' and having a good all round commuter/tourer with some cojones. So I figured I'll just keep upgrading the sport tourer.

Problem became that the GSX1250 was just too good at what it does. Everytime I think 'I'll sell and upgrade' I end up concluding that this bike just really works so well at everything that it makes no sense to trade up.

Good size cases for travel. I've gone to the Cabot trail and done Gaspe with it. So much better than how I used to tour (just a backpack). With the cases on, it can feel a bit sluggish when you want to 'flick' it through the twisties. Take off the cases and ensure you've got a good set of tires on it and it's much much more maneuverable.

It has tons of power to it. It comes with 99horses stock, but the torque curve makes up for it. . . it hits peak torque of like 78lbs or so very early and maintains it through the powerband. No matter where you are in the tach, a twitch of the right hand and you're gone. Check youtube vids of "GSX1250 top speed". Not an R1 or GSXR; but a great sport tourer. . . .

I put a Sargeant seat on it and have ridden 10 hour days no problem.

What would I like? a bit of a taller windscreen. I'm 5'11" and the wind just hits the top of the helmet and throws my head around a bit. Not much, but a bit.
Bigger tank would help too.
It's a bit top heavy, but nothing too bad there. . .

Hope you wind up with something you're happy with

Back
Top Bottom