multiple tickets in one stop. Can they be filed and fought in court separately? | GTAMotorcycle.com

multiple tickets in one stop. Can they be filed and fought in court separately?

Relax

Let's say you got 3 BS tickets during one stop - expired insurance slip (forgot to put new one in wallet), expired license plate sticker (bought on time but forgot to stick it on), and license bulb burnt out. Individually, these would typically be dropped by the prosecutor when you show them the current insurance slip, show them the sticker receipt, or explain that you've replaced the bulb. But with all of them together, they would probably only offer to drop one or two of them. So can these three offenses on the same day be filed in court separately (go in on different days to file for a court date) and be dealt with on their individual merits, or does the court see that they all happened together and automatically lump them together? For that matter, what if you got one of these tickets on three different days?

The scheduling is at the whim of the court staff.
The primary factor will be the availability of the officer.
They have traffic court scheduled for certain days of their five week work cycle.
Your best method of dealing with these is a pre-trial with a prosecutor. Show them the documentation and as a rule they will be dropped.

BTW they weren't BS. Your plate was expired, your insurance was expired and your bulb was burned out.
You have offered no legal defence to the fact you were riding illegally except that you couldn't be bothered to do the things you are required to do in order to ride legally.

Last edited:
You will attend, (if offered in the court jurisdiction), with prosecutor, all your tickets will be dealt with together, as they were issued by same officer on same day. The crown may or may not drop them based on showing that the light has been replaced. the only one they "may" be less willing to drop is the plate sticker, as there is no legal defense for that ticket, (yes you had purchased the sticker but you failed to display it). Had you not bought it the charge would have been for expired registration, (and vehicle towed).

Just be respectful and contrite with crown, you "may" get them on a good day and the drop all three. However, if they offer to drop two and reduce third and you reject the deal you will go to trial on all three, and normally they will be as statsman stated scheduled together. The court assigns the court dates you won't be given the option to "cherry pick" your dates, on each charge. If the charges are still pending it won't matter much anyway as the crown printout will show all the charges as laid, (so it won't be like they don't "know" about the other tickets.

Thanks. For the record, I did start off with "let's say", which implies this is a hypothetical situation. Anyways, from my perspective, these ARE BS charges compared to hit and run or something serious.
The scheduling is at the whim of the court staff. The primary factor will be the availability of the officer.They have traffic court scheduled for certain days of their five week work cycle.Your best method of dealing with these is a pre-trial with a prosecutor. Show them the documentation and as a rule they will be dropped.BTW they weren't BS. Your plate was expired, your insurance was expired and your bulb was burned out.You have offered no legal defence to the fact you were riding illegally except that you couldn't be bothered to do the things you are required to do in order to ride legally.

Thanks. This addresses the core question, whether tickets received at the same stop can be tried separately, and the answer appears to be no.

Your answer begs another question - if the the same officer coincidentally gives you two different tickets on separate stops, will the court also bundle those together?

You will attend, (if offered in the court jurisdiction), with prosecutor, all your tickets will be dealt with together, as they were issued by same officer on same day. The crown may or may not drop them based on showing that the light has been replaced. the only one they "may" be less willing to drop is the plate sticker, as there is no legal defense for that ticket, (yes you had purchased the sticker but you failed to display it). Had you not bought it the charge would have been for expired registration, (and vehicle towed).

Just be respectful and contrite with crown, you "may" get them on a good day and the drop all three. However, if they offer to drop two and reduce third and you reject the deal you will go to trial on all three, and normally they will be as statsman stated scheduled together. The court assigns the court dates you won't be given the option to "cherry pick" your dates, on each charge. If the charges are still pending it won't matter much anyway as the crown printout will show all the charges as laid, (so it won't be like they don't "know" about the other tickets.

Thanks. For the record, I did start off with "let's say", which implies this is a hypothetical situation. Anyways, from my perspective, these ARE BS charges compared to hit and run or something serious.

Well, you didn't murder anyone either.

Anyways, from my perspective, these ARE BS charges compared to hit and run or something serious.

Which is while there are still penalties, those penalties are substantially lesser than that for hit and run or something else.

plate sticker, as there is no legal defense for that ticket, (yes you had purchased the sticker but you failed to display it). Had you not bought it the charge would have been for expired registration, (and vehicle towed).

Just for the record, they don't tow for expired sticker. A few years ago I might have got caught in my 1-Ton dually (personal vehicle used only occasionally to tow our 5th wheel or horse trailer at the time) with a 3 year old expired sticker. I got a $110 ticket, but saved over $2000 in the long run since the truck was registered for 25,000LBS gross commercial and the plate sticker at that weight is north of $700/year.
smileys-whistling-823718.gif

Last year I was also nabbed in my car with the sticker being 2 months out of date - brainfart that the car was registered in my wifes name and her birthday is 4 months before mine. Officer was nice and said to just go to the prosecutors interview with proof of the new sticker having been bought ASAP and the charge was cancelled.

In neither situation was there any talk whatsoever about towing the vehicles.

It doesn't seem viable that they would ever let the charges be tried separately.
Imagine if you could tie up the court system three times as long as it is now.

Just for the record, they don't tow for expired sticker. A few years ago I might have got caught in my 1-Ton dually (personal vehicle used only occasionally to tow our 5th wheel or horse trailer at the time) with a 3 year old expired sticker. I got a $110 ticket, but saved over $2000 in the long run since the truck was registered for 25,000LBS gross commercial and the plate sticker at that weight is north of $700/year.
smileys-whistling-823718.gif

Last year I was also nabbed in my car with the sticker being 2 months out of date - brainfart that the car was registered in my wifes name and her birthday is 4 months before mine. Officer was nice and said to just go to the prosecutors interview with proof of the new sticker having been bought ASAP and the charge was cancelled.

In neither situation was there any talk whatsoever about towing the vehicles.

The car MAY BE towed for an expired sticker.
I have heard of this happening when the driver was being a real pain.
Like its somehow the cops fault the driver couldn't be bothered.

I've looked over my contributions to this thread and I accuse myself of being preachy and coming off like your father.
When you get a ticket, the question becomes what to do about it.
If you are guilty and go to court and plead not guilty, all that's going to happen is the Justice is going to hit you with the maximum fine for wasting everyone's time.
I'm sorry pal, but by your own admission you're guilty. Your opinion of the BS factor is not relevant.
As stated earlier, your best bet is a pre-trial with a prosecutor. The insurance and sticker will probably be dropped with the production of the documents.
They may or may not drop the licence plate bulb.

As I said, this was hypothetical situation, but I guess nobody reads anymore.

Hypothetically, as the three tickets were issued at the same time as part of the same stop, the first reaction of the court staff would be to schedule them at the same time.
This way, the officer would only have to make one appearance.
Off duty court is one of the highest instances of officers being paid for not doing actual police work.
Most defendants also prefer to have them all heard at once.
It is possible to have them "severed" into 3 separate court dates.
You would be required to file a Notice of Motion to this effect with the court.
Included in the motion is the reason why you want them severed.
It's not enough to say it is violating my rights for example. You would have to include specific arguments and examples of how your rights are being violated.

If you are using a Charter argument, an additional separate notification must be included with the Notice of Motion.

All of the documents and other material you will be relying on in court have to be disclosed to the prosecutors.
You would have to include a copy of the delivery receipt that they have been received.
There is a time limit before the original trial date for all of this to be done.
Your notice of motion would be heard in traffic court on a separate date from your trial and it would be up to the Justice if it should be granted or not.
Yes the person making the Motion would have to attend.

At one time you could set your trial dates in person at the courthouse. I don't know if this is still true.
You could ask the person for separate trial dates at that time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom