Three-year-old girl injured after impaired e-bike crash in Thorold - douchebagg | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Three-year-old girl injured after impaired e-bike crash in Thorold - douchebagg

While this is in my back yard, I see crap like this pretty much everywhere in the province.

Inbreeding has no borders.

Ok, going back to my Chevy p/u on blocks sitting on the grass beside the double wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Thorold and even this is a little too sketchy for Thorold. Sounds more like a Merriton thing.

BTW, all you guys saying Thorold is trailer trash obviously arent from the region. The entire niagara region, except NOTL, is pretty trailer trash for sure but Thorold is one of the least so. Most of it is pretty middle class. Its mostly Italian families and students. The guy that founded Arlies clothing stores lives here. Thorold South is a different story.
Have you seen Welland??? Or Merritton? Or the old parts of West Hill? Or pretty much anywhere in Niagara Falls? Or even downtown St. Catharines?? Thorold is one of the nicer cities in the niagara region.
/rant

Last edited:
I was having a good chuckle at the Thorold slams and catzo you went and spoiled it. Its a great little town, i dont think we even have trailer homes, basically i dont want more people moving here, let the rumors and trash talking continue.

The only reason I go there is Revbomb. ##vroom vroom##

Hola!

I was having a good chuckle at the Thorold slams and catzo you went and spoiled it. Its a great little town, i dont think we even have trailer homes, basically i dont want more people moving here, let the rumors and trash talking continue.

what is the price for property there?

interesting that they have charged with a number of offenses for insurance and "motorcycle" operation violations?

The motorcycle-specific ones will probably be tossed out in court. "Carry passengers improperly on motorcycle" wouldn't apply since it's not technically a motorcycle, "drive motor vehicle improper licence" doesn't apply to E-Bikes, same for fail to have insurance card, operating vehicle with no insurance card, and driving while under suspension. The only charge that will stick is the impaired operation of a motor vehicle one, assuming it was laid federally and not provincially.

Sounds to me like a cop who doesn't know the rules him/herself.

For the record, I'm in no way defending the dolt on the eBike, just saying that the cop was a little clueless laying all sorts of non-applicable charges.

Not an ebike as soon as you have a passenger it becomes a motorcycle in the eyes of the law.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Also if he had suspended license it is now a vehicle as well and the charges are good.

Not an ebike as soon as you have a passenger it becomes a motorcycle in the eyes of the law.

That's interesting, citation? I can't find anything that mentions either of the above.

Curiously, I did learn something though - removing the pedals from an e-bike makes it an "illegal vehicle" and does open it up to charges for no insurance/registration. Perhaps that's what this guy did to warrant those charges, but I still think a few of those charges are going to be tossed right out.

His suspended licence made it a vehicle as the ebike exemption no longer applies.

Again, citation for that?

I find nothing regarding these "Situation A changes vehicle classification to B" things you are suggesting.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've done some searching & the only thing I found that would allude to a vehicle classification changing for an eBike is the earlier mentioned removal of the pedals.

Good eats, cold drinks and awesome music at Donnelly's yesterday afternoon.

Perfect spot to stop after a little cruise along the parkway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think a suspension changes the class of vehicle, but if it's a criminal suspension (ie DUI) then according to this it becomes illegal operation.

The thing is, that weird federal (Criminal code of Canada) vs provincial (Highway Traffic Act) loophole still exists.

If you've been charged provincially (HTA) for DUI, you can still legally ride an eBike. Once you've been caught riding one drunk and charged federally under the CCOC, you can't any longer.

It's even mentioned in the link you included, although they try to make it foggy...

Q5: Can I operate an e-bike if my driver's licence has been suspended? It depends on the particular circumstances that led to your licence suspension. If your licence is suspended because of a conviction that has resulted in a driving prohibition under the Criminal Code of Canada, you cannot legally operate an e-bike.
If your driver's licence has been suspended under other circumstances, you should discuss your situation with a licensed legal practitioner before deciding to operate an e-bike.
"Under other circumstances" = charged under the Ontario HTA.

In the end....

Under the Highway Traffic Act, an e-bike is not classified as a motor vehicle, so penalties for impaired driving under the Act would not apply.

So, coming full circle to my original response, I still think the only thing (assuming the pedals were still on the bike) that's gonna stick is the DUI, and then only if it was laid under the CCOC vs the HTA.

According to the MTO e-bike regs, passengers (older than 16 years old) are explicitly allowed on e-bikes designed to carry more than one person. The way the regulation is written, carrying a passenger under 16 would disqualify it as an ebike and therefore it would become an illegal vehicle. In this case, the girl wasn't a passenger and the ebike regulations don't bring up trailers. The cop was probably ****** at the stupidity of this man and threw a lot at him hoping as much as possible would stick. I doubt the rider will be able to afford the best lawyer in the world to help him.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/electric-bicycles-faq.shtml

Q5: Can I operate an e-bike if my driver's licence has been suspended?
It depends on the particular circumstances that led to your licence suspension. If your licence is suspended because of a conviction that has resulted in a driving prohibition under the Criminal Code of Canada, you cannot legally operate an e-bike.
If your driver's licence has been suspended under other circumstances, you should discuss your situation with a licensed legal practitioner before deciding to operate an e-bike.

Q6: Can I carry passengers on my e-bike?
You can carry passengers on your e-bike if it was designed for more than one person. Passengers are not allowed on a bicycle designed for one person.
You should check the manufacturer's information to see if your e-bike was designed to carry passengers.
E-bike passengers must be at least 16 years old.

Q7: What are the penalties for riding an e-bike while drunk?
Drinking and driving a motor vehicle is a Criminal Code offence and charges are laid under the Criminal Code of Canada. Under the Criminal Code, the definition of a "motor vehicle" includes an e-bike, and anyone operating an e-bike intoxicated could be charged for impaired driving. If convicted, the offender would be subject to the Criminal Code penalties, including a fine or jail time, and a driving prohibition.
Under the Highway Traffic Act, an e-bike is not classified as a motor vehicle, so penalties for impaired driving under the Act would not apply.

Back
Top Bottom