Traffic!!!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Traffic!!!!

Mach12R

This city is getting nuts with traffic!!! I've been driving/riding in this city for 30 years now and last night was the the worst!!! I got on my bike after work here in Woodbridge and I was trying to get out to Haugen's Bike Night, I spent 1hr 25mins just to get to 401 & Leslie. I stopped in at my mothers place and checked the traffic and thought to myself, Dam, another hour or so riding to Port Perry????? Buy the time I got there the show would have been over.LOL
Needless to say I'm glad that I moved up to Barrie 10 years ago, I'm not even going to start on the subject of crappy drivers. What a waste of life sitting in traffic in Toronto!.. never again, Bike + 401 in rush hour!
That's my rant!!!

I moved to Toronto about 8 months ago and it was literally the worst thing to have happened to my riding.

It's a fight to get in and out of the city at almost all hours of any day. Riding in the city is an exercise in obstacle avoidance and feels like playing Russian roulette.

It has already claimed the life of my beloved VFR750

I can't wait for my lease to be over so I can move outta here :sad1:

I loved the 01' VFR800 my buddy had!!! Where did you move to the city from?

I moved to Toronto about 8 months ago and it was literally the worst thing to have happened to my riding.

It's a fight to get in and out of the city at almost all hours of any day. Riding in the city is an exercise in obstacle avoidance and feels like playing Russian roulette.

It has already claimed the life of my beloved VFR750

I can't wait for my lease to be over so I can move outta here :sad1:

Last edited:
Not a smart decision to take a bike on 401 in rush hour ... seriously what did you expect?

Smart countries let bikes legally filter and get through ... not here, it will never happen. Speed kills, right?

moved DT a year ago and will not trade it for anything!!! getting around town on a bike is a breeze (just gotta hone your awareness skills, and defensive driving abilities), getting out of the city in the morning is a breeze because all the 905ers are heading in, getting back in is also a breeze because the 905ers are on the way to the 905.
city riding tips : offensive riding is safer than defensive in the city, avoid major streets in rush hour, filter filter filter, stay away from the 401

The 407 is still a traffic infested hike from downtown Toronto.

I loved the 01' VFR800 my buddy had!!! Where did you move to the city from?

I started riding while living in Brampton.

Then I lived in Shelburne for a few years (that was the best for riding. Great roads everythwere)

Then Toronto.

Bad traffic culture combined with Poor HWY and Road design combined with traffic laws designed for taxation and not to get people moving safely creates the perfect storm of what we call the GTA.

Change the culture, reform the laws and change the bottle necks in HWYs and roads, eliminate stop signs and put roundabouts, increase speed limits in places that make sense, put police resources into policing the passing lane and texters and distracted drives and remove them from some of the speed enforcement....

sight.. none of this will ever happen.

Last edited:
The OP was coming from Woodbridge not Downtown.

OP was going from Woodbridge to Port Perry. Not sure why he would be anywhere near the 401.

I've been commuting by bike for the last 8 years, including 401. Except when its stop and go, bike is sooo much better than car. The ability to use small openings and quick acceleration to work thru traffic (even without splitting) is great. Makes my commute almost enjoyable. Certainly better than in a car. And as mbroyda says, its great for getting around in town.

I learned to ride in downtown TO. It's still a pain, but I deal with it.

+1 to being a bit more assertive navigating traffic.

I learned to ride in downtown TO. It's still a pain, but I deal with it.

+1 to being a bit more assertive navigating traffic.
Assertive got me in trouble - I no longer live on the edge

Last night was bad - accident at Leslie or some such ....I just scrambled off at Eglinton at 7.30 and had an easy drive into the restaurant for dinner with daughter,

if everyone stayed in their lanes, i suspect traffic would flow much better - but you have a whole lot of douchebaggery happening with cars poorly merging (causing flowing traffic to brake), right lane passing/acceleration lane passing just to get ahead 4-5 cars and then back to my point 1.

Butterfly effect- you make someone have to slow down cuz you had no real room to enter/merge, eventually down the line, someone's at a dead stop.

Also the ones that can't merge and have to block an entire laneway (hi, 404s to 401 ramps), give everyone a headache.

People simply need to adjust their 'me first' mentalities and just wait the f like everyone else, instead of taking the privilege of jumping the line.

I do enjoy watching all the crazy people downtown, whether they're in a car or on foot, always something entertaining going on. Although, I heard that my bike really picks up around 8K :( lol...

Someone wrote a song about this decades ago. Stop making sense.
I find when things get slow people pick up their phones and start browsing then when things move again they aren't keeping up.
Drives me nuts at an advance green and the chick in front is seeing how many likes she got today then goes in a cloud of dust when it turns amber. 1/2 dozen people are stuck waiting. One doesn't mind though because gonna swipe some Tindr profiles

if everyone stayed in their lanes, i suspect traffic would flow much better - but you have a whole lot of douchebaggery happening with cars poorly merging (causing flowing traffic to brake), right lane passing/acceleration lane passing just to get ahead 4-5 cars and then back to my point 1.

Butterfly effect- you make someone have to slow down cuz you had no real room to enter/merge, eventually down the line, someone's at a dead stop.

Also the ones that can't merge and have to block an entire laneway (hi, 404s to 401 ramps), give everyone a headache.

People simply need to adjust their 'me first' mentalities and just wait the f like everyone else, instead of taking the privilege of jumping the line.

I was picking up a friend in Don Mills and then on from there. I definitely not paying for the 407 robbers! And it was 3:30pm when I was crossing the 401 not 5pm.

OP was going from Woodbridge to Port Perry. Not sure why he would be anywhere near the 401.

I've been commuting by bike for the last 8 years, including 401. Except when its stop and go, bike is sooo much better than car. The ability to use small openings and quick acceleration to work thru traffic (even without splitting) is great. Makes my commute almost enjoyable. Certainly better than in a car. And as mbroyda says, its great for getting around in town.

Back
Top Bottom