A shop put a new tire on my bike, it's leaking air from the old wheel weight position | GTAMotorcycle.com

A shop put a new tire on my bike, it's leaking air from the old wheel weight position

Carver

I had a new tire put on about a month ago an it will not hold the psi rated amount (42). I checked the gauge on the stand before heading out for a ride (first in a week) and it was low (25psi), i thought that was odd but i fired up the pig and put the rated 42 in. 20 minutes of riding goes by and my rear end is feeling a little squirly so i stop at the nearest gas station and it's down to 25psi within 20 minutes.

I had the tire changed at a motorcycle shop here and i'm wondering if this is something that i should expect fixed free of charge. I actually heard air leaking out of the old wheel weight position on the rim which of course wasn't an issue before.

I don't really have a question, just want to see what you guys thought about the situation. Thanks

Unless the rim is damaged there they must not have cleaned any buildup around the old weight, take it in I would hope it would be free

Put soapy water on the area to confirm the leak point.

Did they put in a new valve? Check that as well.

If an old valve lets go your tire doesn't stay up 0.2 seconds.

You should expect them to make it right, unless it can be shown that something happened from the time you left that would have caused the leak. A reputable shop will fix it if the problem is on their end.

I actually heard air leaking out of the old wheel weight position on the rim which of course wasn't an issue before.

I don't really have a question, just want to see what you guys thought about the situation. Thanks

Air leaking out of the old wheel weight position?.....is there a hole in your rim?

Maybe its just me, but any motorcycle tires/wheels I've ever seen, the wheel weights are mounted on the center or near the center of the rim, not anywhere remotely close to the tire bead.

What kind of wheel - spoke or cast ?
If its a spoke wheel and they used the old tube over and that might be your problem.
If its a cast wheel, it may be leaking from the valve stem (as has been suggested), or there might be crud around the rim not allowing a proper seal.
In any event, return it to the folks that did the original replacement and ask them to inspect.

Air leaking out of the old wheel weight position?.....is there a hole in your rim?

Maybe its just me, but any motorcycle tires/wheels I've ever seen, the wheel weights are mounted on the center or near the center of the rim, not anywhere remotely close to the tire bead.

I was wondering the same thing. :confused:

which shop? does it start with "R" and ends with "osey Toes" ?

Last edited:

It's an aluminum wheel. I think the rim was bent and the previous owner tried to cover it up with a wheel weight. That's what it looks like. I'm at the shop now and searching for a used rim.

Update: I had them put in a tube, it's not ideal but we had no luck finding a used rim and I don't really feel like dropping $600+ on a new one. Hopefully it will be fine for the rest of this season.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom