Pedestrian flashing red countdown = don't cross? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pedestrian flashing red countdown = don't cross?

You seem to have assumed that I held some blanket belief that cyclists must put themselves in danger, in order to accommodate passenger vehicle drivers. I cannot be held responsible for your failure of comprehension.
When you respond "no you can't" to someone who said that cyclists can ride in the middle when the right side is unsafe, it's not an assumption. It's your words.

BTW the point of this isn't "I'm right you're wrong na-na". The point is that you're not an idiot so when you make the effort to point out a supposed 'error' that defends cyclists when it is in fact truth, it may be based on a strong emotional antipathy to cyclists that is not rooted in reason.

Just throwing it out there. You can make your own assessment.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I will not be able to post links to the videos I described in which a cyclist screamed about how car drivers were failing to comply with a specific section of the HTA, while she was failing to comply with the section that I quoted. "Why" you might ask? Because she has apparently either made those videos private, or has deleted them. That's why they weren't coming up in my searches.

Here is the Toronto Star article in which I remembered one of her videos being linked:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...elling_matches_with_motorists_on_youtube.html

All that seems to remain of her Tumblr page:

http://adriverwentafterme.tumblr.com/

And a similar article mentioning her on Metro News. This article mentions Idlewild quoting Section 147 of the HTA, which is what led me to her lack of understanding, of that section. Unfortunately as the video and channel are now gone all that I can offer is my recollection of the video in question in which, on an otherwise empty road, Idlewild was riding in the centre of the traffic lane on a two lane (one each way) street, with no safety issues toward the curb:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toront...clist-chronicles-driver-abuse-on-youtube.html

When you respond "no you can't" to someone who said that cyclists can ride in the middle when the right side is unsafe, it's not an assumption. It's your words.

BTW the point of this isn't "I'm right you're wrong na-na". The point is that you're not an idiot so when you make the effort to point out a supposed 'error' that defends cyclists when it is in fact truth, it may be based on a strong emotional antipathy to cyclists that is not rooted in reason.

Just throwing it out there. You can make your own assessment.

All sections of the HTA carry the qualifier "when safe to do so." I feel no responsibility to state the obvious.

OK so can cyclists ride in the middle if it's unsafe to be on the side? I'm confused now.

OK so can cyclists ride in the middle if it's unsafe to be on the side? I'm confused now.

Think about it as the inverse, as that would be the requirement. A cyclist must make way to the right and allow faster moving traffic to pass UNLESS it is unsafe to do so.

If pedestrians "followed the rules" they'd be stuck in traffic longer instead of you! Your statement is a perfect example of the car-biased culture that we're trying to move away from. If all those pedestrians were in cars you'd be far worse off but you wouldn't have any pedestrians to blame for what would be retarded traffic?.

I'm not sure I understand you here. I have been walking around the core for many years, and I have never found it an onerous burden to follow the rules as a pedestrian

I'm not sure I understand you here. I have been walking around the core for many years, and I have never found it an onerous burden to follow the rules as a pedestrian

The point isn't that the rules are hard to follow, it's that a delayed driver is no worse than a delayed pedestrian. Rob suggested that following the rules would allow more efficient flow of traffic but in fact it doesn't necessarily if you consider pedestrian movements as important as motorists. (An example of inefficient rules is that cars aren't allowed to enter a pedestrian crossing until all pedestrians have completely cleared it).

We agree that all road users should cede the right of way according to the rules, but we seem to disagree that as they're written, the rules are optimized at all.

Back
Top Bottom