Intermittent Power Loss Puzzle | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Intermittent Power Loss Puzzle

On the '96 - do you have he ECM (computer) module under the seat, on the rear fender? Maybe another wiring point to inspect/disconnect-reconnect...

Yeah no it's not the battery terminal 20 minutes into the ride it happens again accept this time it did not correct itself as quick stayed consistent and I had on/off my way back home

Also I just though... Is it possible something heats up on the nine and causes and electrical issue?

It's a simplofied diagram, but you can see how all the +12v lines run off the ignition switch... Hence my thoughts about that if if the motor was running but the speedo dark. If you can reproduce the problem, the you just have to start measuring voltages at different points at that time to nail it down.

i think that HD Forums thread above said the grease in the ignition switch can start to interrupt some circuits and instead of replacing, you can clean it out.

7e34ac830b7307ae493782e5401f9742_zpshjmywjqk.jpg

It's a simplofied diagram, but you can see how all the +12v lines run off the ignition switch... Hence my thoughts about that if if the motor was running but the speedo dark. If you can reproduce the problem, the you just have to start measuring voltages at different points at that time to nail it down.

i think that HD Forums thread above said the grease in the ignition switch can start to interrupt some circuits and instead of replacing, you can clean it out.

7e34ac830b7307ae493782e5401f9742_zpshjmywjqk.jpg

I was looking the diagram I have in the manual and it seems from the battery all the power goes to starter and spreads from there. So I have to check for a loose cable at the starter.. Which I don't even know where it is

ba510ab4f6388b8b7fd8bae5886610ee.jpg

Ok I found something that's different

I popped the main breaker out and followed the wires and discovered something different. The wiring diagrams shows

12 volts from battery to starter motor and from the starter motor the 12v continues to the 30 amp main breaker.

BUT

the current set up is:
12v to starter motor and a seperate second 12v line direct from the battery terminal to the 30 ampmain breaker.

Can this cause the intermittent power loss?

Nope

How about after market turn signals that are on all the time as auxiliary light when the bike is running.

Is it possible they trip the main breaker?

If the problem was something tripping that breaker, the bike wouldn't run roughly - it would outright stop. Unless the breaker is defective? TBH every bike I've ever had has a fuse there, not a breaker, so I don't know how likely a bad breaker is but it seems unlikely to me

Bike would shut off if it was the main breaker. I know because I had one go bad and had to replace it recently.

Take a look at ALL things added to the bike (electrical or not)for wiring issues. Bad connection, broken or pinched wire, etc.

Last edited:
I have put about 700 problem free miles on this and figure this issue is fixed. So I will update and hopefully save some one else lots of troubles.

After checking
Ignitions switch
Starter motor
Handle bar start button connection
And a crap load of wires

I could not find the cure.

So in one final attempt , I disconnected all the battery cables, cleaned both ends, I brushed off the paint on the ground connection, I put old brake caliper brackets on each side of battery to have it shake less, and I tighten everything back down with some blue lock tite AND I changed the main breaker.

No issues since. Point of the story. Do this first before anything else :)

Back
Top Bottom