Garmin Nuvi GPS Hard wired via USB | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garmin Nuvi GPS Hard wired via USB

Jampy00

Site Supporter
Howdy folks,

Have not really found a solution so i though I'd ask.

I have a couple of older Garmin Nuvi's they would be perfect for a GPS on my motorcycle, only issue is I don't want a 12v lighter adapter and currently only have a USB connection. As many of you may know when you plug a Garmin GPS into a PC or USB wall charger it becomes unusable as a GPS until unplugged. Has anyone found a way around this?

Lastly, I have no idea where my car connection cable is, that is why I am asking.

Thanks

@Jampy00 do you have a tender on the bike?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Howdy folks,

Have not really found a solution so i though I'd ask.

I have a couple of older Garmin Nuvi's they would be perfect for a GPS on my motorcycle, only issue is I don't want a 12v lighter adapter and currently only have a USB connection. As many of you may know when you plug a Garmin GPS into a PC or USB wall charger it becomes unusable as a GPS until unplugged. Has anyone found a way around this?

Lastly, I have no idea where my car connection cable is, that is why I am asking.

Thanks

You need the 'special' Garmin mini-usb cable, as it has a different pinout (or similar) which is what keeps it from going into computer mode. Garmin sells them as well as 3BR, but looks like Amazon has them as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-010-10723-15-USB-cable/dp/B0035JL4UI

Another way around it is through the adapter at the back -- When you connect it to the car cradle, there is a piece the GPS plugs into and that piece has USB power running to it. I've found that if you take that piece off the mount (pulls off the ball), then any USB power source will work.

Hope this helps

You need the 'special' Garmin mini-usb cable, as it has a different pinout (or similar) which is what keeps it from going into computer mode. Garmin sells them as well as 3BR, but looks like Amazon has them as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-010-10723-15-USB-cable/dp/B0035JL4UI

Hope this helps

Conundrum ... thanks for the Info I have just assumed that a USB cable was a USB cable and wondered why my GPS kept thinking it was hooked to a computer instead of a motorcycle.

In my reading on this topic, I found it is based on the output of the adapter. While most USB chargers put out 500 - 1a the Garmin requires 2a to work in a non PC mode. I tried to "hot rod" a usb cable but nothing made it work consistently. from my googling you have to create a short between pins 4 & 5 on the output, but how the heck you do that on something that small..

@Joe Bass I have a tender and was thinking of plugging a cig lighter adaptor to it with a 2a USB output.

What I did with my dash cam on the bike (same issue as the GPS) I disassemble the car charging unit, inside there is a small "motherboard" for a lack of a better term. I hard wired that small motherboard to the bike, electrict tape to protect it and hide it somewhere inside the fairings for protection.
In my reading on this topic, I found it is based on the output of the adapter. While most USB chargers put out 500 - 1a the Garmin requires 2a to work in a non PC mode. I tried to "hot rod" a usb cable but nothing made it work consistently. from my googling you have to create a short between pins 4 & 5 on the output, but how the heck you do that on something that small..

@Joe Bass I have a tender and was thinking of plugging a cig lighter adaptor to it with a 2a USB output.

leave it plugged in for a minute and it will cycle out of PC mode.

source: using a generic USB cable with a Nuvi 250.

leave it plugged in for a minute and it will cycle out of PC mode.

source: using a generic USB cable with a Nuvi 250.
I have a nuvi 250 & updated the software. Constantly on pc mode

I've had car nuvi 255 go screwball like that, can be a royal pain to get them out. Sometimes plugging in with the garmin car charger will work.

I'm running software that's a couple years old, maybe that's why. I usually just need it to point me back toward home anyway, so I never bothered updating. Could be why it still works.

The USB connecter I have mounted to my bike is only a 500mah output no matter how I connect it. I'll have to find another connector.

You're link does not work.. :(
Weird. Works for me. Here's the deets. Not sure what they mean:
Battery Tender USB Charger- QDC

To charge iPhone, iPad, iPod, GPS, Camera or any Smartphone or device that be charged via USB Designed for use on any 12v battery
Input: 12V
Output: 5V/2.1A Maximum
Requires Battery Tender Quick Disconnect Harness (sold separately)
Manufacturer Part Number: 081-0158

Weird. Works for me. Here's the deets. Not sure what they mean:
Battery Tender USB Charger- QDC

To charge iPhone, iPad, iPod, GPS, Camera or any Smartphone or device that be charged via USB Designed for use on any 12v battery
Input: 12V
Output: 5V/2.1A Maximum
Requires Battery Tender Quick Disconnect Harness (sold separately)
Manufacturer Part Number: 081-0158

Ok works now.. that was wacky !?!

Yep this one will do... awesome find thank you..

here is why it will work...

• Output: 5V/2.1A Maximum

Back
Top Bottom