What is the best dash camera? How did you hard wire yours? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What is the best dash camera? How did you hard wire yours?

-D-

Banned
Hey Everyone,

I am thinking of getting a dash camera.
I would like one that can take external memory and minimum of 720p (maybe 480) is fine.

1. Do they start to auto record once you are moving?
2. Can they be used as motion detectors, meaning they will turn on/off if someone is around your car?
3. Can they turn on like an alarm if someone bumps your car?

How do you hard wire them in? I have a powered rear view mirror, any of you tapped into the power there? I prefer not to see the long cable hanging down to the charger port.

Any info is much appreciated. Please provide make and model numbers or links to the units.

Thanks!

1. They start recording the moment they get power, which is usually when the car is turned on.
2. There are 2 types of dash cameras, those that have internal batteries and those that don't. The ones with the batteries (usually min 250 mAh and up) can perform 'parking monitor' duties where they are motion activated and record when you're away from the vehicle. Most cameras these days also have g-sensors or shock sensors that you can set to trigger recording if it detects vibrations (from hits or dings or slamming your door too hard).
3. not sure what you mean alarm, most modern cars have built in horn based alarms if something happens. Camera's do not have speakers (usually).

They are not hard to wire in, there are plug and play kits available for some cars and camera models. I personally have my cable tucked in behind the mirror stalk and along the roof liner. I used gaffer tape to hide the wire in the compartment and it plugs into the center console in a low profile USB charger.

There are lots of reviews out there, and amazon is a good resource for what's available. Like with all things, some of them are overpriced, others are too cheap for their own good. the Mini series is nice if you like low profile. Anything worth having and working reliably will cost you about $100ish when all is said and done. i found cheaper than that, it wouldn't last long or would require modification and anything more than that doesn't add any real benefit (looking at you Blackvue).

1. They start recording the moment they get power, which is usually when the car is turned on.
2. There are 2 types of dash cameras, those that have internal batteries and those that don't. The ones with the batteries (usually min 250 mAh and up) can perform 'parking monitor' duties where they are motion activated and record when you're away from the vehicle. Most cameras these days also have g-sensors or shock sensors that you can set to trigger recording if it detects vibrations (from hits or dings or slamming your door too hard).
3. not sure what you mean alarm, most modern cars have built in horn based alarms if something happens. Camera's do not have speakers (usually).

They are not hard to wire in, there are plug and play kits available for some cars and camera models. I personally have my cable tucked in behind the mirror stalk and along the roof liner. I used gaffer tape to hide the wire in the compartment and it plugs into the center console in a low profile USB charger.

There are lots of reviews out there, and amazon is a good resource for what's available. Like with all things, some of them are overpriced, others are too cheap for their own good. the Mini series is nice if you like low profile. Anything worth having and working reliably will cost you about $100ish when all is said and done. i found cheaper than that, it wouldn't last long or would require modification and anything more than that doesn't add any real benefit (looking at you Blackvue).

thanks for the info
I meant camera work like an alarm when the car is bumped the camera will turn on and record

I am in for a $100 unit
what brand or models do you suggest?

Thanks, I checked out the one you linked too. Very nice results.
I am not sure if it said it can wake up and record if the car gets bumped.
You want a dash cam that has a built in battery to activate the camera when you're not near the car.

There are two types of monitoring. 1 using motion sensor to trigger recording and 2 using a gforce sensor. Some cameras offer both. This is also called Parking mode or Monitor mode.

You want a dash cam that has a built in battery to activate the camera when you're not near the car.

There are two types of monitoring. 1 using motion sensor to trigger recording and 2 using a gforce sensor. Some cameras offer both. This is also called Parking mode or Monitor mode.

ah, I think I will try to find one that does both parking modes.

can you provide some general specs of minimum features to look for that makes a good unit?
thx

I don’t know if anyone has done it yet, but D' s post has me thinking....
He mentioned a power rear view mirror. Would be nice to have camera/mirror combo that can replace the oem.
#SharkTankThatShit

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

I use the Mobius. http://mobius-actioncam.com/ small - does not have a display screen.

I use the 'hard-wire kit' - pushed the wire in behind the headliner and down behind the a-pillar cover/moulding. Connects to the same power source that feeds my radio (off with ignition)

For a continuous-power-connected camera like a dash-cam in a car, you want the super-capacitor version. Only holds 3 min or so of charge. But more reliable than the lithium-battery/charger arrangement which you'd want in a helmet-action-camera for example where you'd charge it up then run it for an amount of time.

Some dash cams are available with a power-monitor cable where you'd wire it to an always-on source in your car, and it would shut off if the (car) battery voltage drops to a certain level.

The mobius has a motion sensor setting that records when there's movement in the video...

I don’t know if anyone has done it yet, but D' s post has me thinking....
He mentioned a power rear view mirror. Would be nice to have camera/mirror combo that can replace the oem.
#SharkTankThatShit

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

already created, check ebay for rearview mirror camera
I meant since my rearview mirror has electronics in it, I can see the power wire peeking out of the headliner.

I think I will try to find a rear/front combo kit that has the motion detection and good image.
If not I will run 2 separate cameras.
Now I will be able to monitor my bike too:D and the front of the car, should anyone cause damage to either then I have proof.
I will try to or have it done...wired in nicely so you don't see the wires.

I am also looking for another wifi or bluetooth unit to stick on back of bike and stream to old cellphone that I will put in waterproof case to run GPS and music from too.

Just bought a Blackvue with motion detector. at least I can see the *** next time he keys my car.

I don't think blackvue does $100 or less... theyre good cameras though

Still debating this...had narrowed it down to the G1W-CB or the A118C, but now not sure. Seems like all have a lot of cons to go with any pros, and since all are cheaply made, a $100 doesn't mean it is worse than a $600 one, nor does a $600 mean it is any better than a $100 model.

As for some of the original questions -- I'd forgo parking monitor. Seems nice, but remember it only points forward, and likely only activates when something substantial hits the car (eg. a truck not a key). Also running the cam continuously takes a lot of battery power, which would cause a ton of wear and tear if the car sat 8-10 hrs a day (which it would be doing while at work and also over night). On a similar note, it seems only 'super capacitor' versions can be trusted, as the ones with built-in Li-On batteries tend to have issues/die at the 1-2 year mark....just like other cheap electronics.

Still debating this...had narrowed it down to the G1W-CB or the A118C, but now not sure. Seems like all have a lot of cons to go with any pros, and since all are cheaply made, a $100 doesn't mean it is worse than a $600 one, nor does a $600 mean it is any better than a $100 model.

As for some of the original questions -- I'd forgo parking monitor. Seems nice, but remember it only points forward, and likely only activates when something substantial hits the car (eg. a truck not a key). Also running the cam continuously takes a lot of battery power, which would cause a ton of wear and tear if the car sat 8-10 hrs a day (which it would be doing while at work and also over night). On a similar note, it seems only 'super capacitor' versions can be trusted, as the ones with built-in Li-On batteries tend to have issues/die at the 1-2 year mark....just like other cheap electronics.

[video=youtube;8DHSRhP5JyQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DHSRhP5JyQ[/video]

This is why you want it.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/products/blackvue-dr3500-fhd-16gb-english-version

read

Back
Top Bottom