2016-06-13 Kingston - e-bike rider down and done for | GTAMotorcycle.com

2016-06-13 Kingston - e-bike rider down and done for

griff2

Banned
[h=2]Man Operating e-Bike While Impaired Blows Three Times the Legal Limit[/h]16-16640

A 34-year-old local man is facing impaired driving charges after a witness contacted Kingston Police regarding an e-bike weaving all over the road in the west end of town.

Beginning at approximately 7:15 p.m. on June 13th a motorist observed the accused on an e-bike travelling south on Gardiners Road near Development Drive. The accused was crossing lanes at random and could not maintain a straight direction of travel.

Kingston Police were called and a uniform patrol officer came upon the accused on Bath Road near Queen Mary Road. There were obvious signs of impairment and the accused was arrested for impaired driving.

After being transported to police headquarters a qualified breath technician took samples of the accused’s breath which indicated he was approximately three times over the legal limit. He was additionally charged with Driving in Excess of the Legal Limit of Alcohol and released the following day on a Promise to Appear with conditions placed upon him through an Officer-in-Charge (OIC) Undertaking.

While an e-bike is defined as only a vehicle, the equivalent of a bicycle, under the Highway Traffic Act, it is defined as a motor vehicle under the Criminal Code of Canada, so impaired driving charges still apply to operators of an e-bike. The vehicle was seized and impounded for seven days in which the accused is responsible for all fees.

https://www.kingstonpolice.ca/news-...e-impaired-blows-three-times-the-legal-limit/

simpsons_nelson_haha3.jpg

Pretty sure 99% of ebike riders are impaired. Isnt this why you buy an ebike? Because you have too many DUI's to get a car, but youre too drunk all the time to be able to ride a bike?

I'd think being drunk is required to ride an E-bike.

At least he has an excuse now.

This does not surprise me. I see ebikes weaving all over the place in Kitchener/Waterloo daily. On the road, onto the sidewalk, jump the curb, weave into the left side of the lane and then to the right and back onto the sidewalk. I have never, ever seen a police officer pull any of these people over. I drive a commercial vehicle and I work the better part of 10 hour days 5 days a week and I have never seen an ebike stopped by the police in Cambridge, Kitchener, or Waterloo. Seems like it might be an idea to do a RIDE check ebike style.

This does not surprise me. I see ebikes weaving all over the place in Kitchener/Waterloo daily. On the road, onto the sidewalk, jump the curb, weave into the left side of the lane and then to the right and back onto the sidewalk. I have never, ever seen a police officer pull any of these people over. I drive a commercial vehicle and I work the better part of 10 hour days 5 days a week and I have never seen an ebike stopped by the police in Cambridge, Kitchener, or Waterloo. Seems like it might be an idea to do a RIDE check ebike style.

Maybe cops feel that if your life has gone so horribly wrong that you're riding an ebike you've been punished enough already.

There are tons of these things around downtown St. Catharines. And there is ALWAYS at least one at the beer store. Ive seen little ebike meetups at the beer store just like we would meet up at a tim hortons.

Also saw an ebike taking up a whole parking space at the beer store last friday night when it was busy and was tempted to knock it over.

The saddest thing is seeing a guy with his gf on the back of his ebike. Those poor girls. I can't imagine the series of poor life decisions that led them up to that moment.

They don't call them DUI-Cruisers for nothing.

The saddest thing is seeing a guy with his gf on the back of his ebike. Those poor girls. I can't imagine the series of poor life decisions that led them up to that moment.

Also illegal to carry passengers on an ebike.

Like this one where a child got hurt...

Niagara Regional Police arrested a Thorold man for impaired driving after an E-bike crash, which left a child with minor injuries.Concerned citizens called the police after they saw a maroon coloured E-bike pulling a homemade wooden trailer with a three-year-old girl sitting on a child’s lawn chair in the area of Queen Street and McDonald Avenue in Thorold.
The man driving the E-bike lost control and crashed, throwing the girl from the trailer.
Paramedics assessed and treated the driver and the girl at the scene.
Harold Folz, 44, of Thorold is facing six charges including impaired operation of a motor vehicle, driving while under suspension, carrying passenger improperly on motorcycle, driving a motor vehicle with an improper licence, failing to have insurance card and operating a motor vehicle on a highway with no insurance.
Folz was released on a promise to appear. His first court date is Aug. 5, in St. Catharines
Anyone with further information or who may have witnessed the incident is asked to call the Niagara Regional Police at 905-688-4111.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016/06/16/thorold-man-arrested-after-e-bike-crash-injures-child

Back
Top Bottom