Advanced Rider Training | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advanced Rider Training

Brant Bandit

I've been thinking more and more about this and I want to take a course. I found a few that look good, but wonder if anyone has experience with any of these courses:

http://sharpridermotorcycletraining.com/cart/total-control-arc-level-1-c-1/

http://advancedridertraining.ca/event/advanced-rider-course-london-ontario/

http://advancedroadcraft.ca/advanced-motorcycle-course-kitchener-driving-school/

I'm going to take one of them this year I think, and next year might look to do some track days. I haven't really compared these courses to the racing schools but maybe that's next.

Some background that might help if anyone has experience with these courses...... I'm not a new rider..... I'm an old guy (41) that got back into riding a couple years ago. Last year I bought a new Concours 1400 and put just a hair over 20,000 km on it. I'm over 5000 km this year. My first year back was on a Bandit 600 and I rode almost 15,000. I'm a daily commuter and pleasure rider......

Just want to find the best and most suitable course to keep becoming a better rider.

My first choice would be Sharp, also there is a course at Toronto Motorsports Park in Cayuga called Surviving the Streets, not too far from you and a good course to practice accident avoidance and emergency braking, plus you can ride the track and get a better feel of the bikes handling without attracting street heat. Next one is Aug 7.

Another vote for Sharp - the Total Control classes are good.
RTI also offers a Technical Riders course which is also good.

Both courses you ride your own bike, so the skills translate quite well into everyday riding improvement.

I recommend Sharp's Total Control. I found myself riding better after the course, despite being familiar with most techniques they taught, before the class. It definitely helped me improve.

I know that both Cutekill and Redneck from this website are instructors for Sharp. Send them a message and I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Sorry to threadjack but how do these courses add up for people who are not necessarily say, 'experienced'? I'm not exactly sure what they mean by experienced but I have been riding for 5 years now and I don't necessarily feel 'experienced'. Motorcycling is one of those things where you are always learning but I just don't feel like I've explored my limits. Would these courses be good for someone like me?

@likebutta I am in the same boat and have asked some of the more experienced riders here the same thing. The overwhelming majority have said yes. I will be doing the Sharp course most likely.
Another option is most schools have a course that is basically a post Mx course. More like intermediate training.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

What's the difference b/ween IRC and Total Control ARC Level 1?

If I'm like likebutta above, which one is most suitable?

What's the difference b/ween IRC and Total Control ARC Level 1?

If I'm like likebutta above, which one is most suitable?

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?197212-Sharp-Rider-Total-Control

Essentially, the difference is how long you've been riding. IRC (Intermediate) is for the less experienced rider. The rider that has their M2 and would like to be become more comfortable and confident with the handling of their motorcycle at road speeds and slow speeds or for the returning rider just rejoining the world of motorcycling.

The ARC (Advance) course has a minimum requirement of 5000km of riding experience. This course is designed to push your riding to the next level. ARC focuses on utilizing the 10 Steps to Proper Cornering. Ultimately, quicker, faster and smoother around the corners.

Feel free to email or PM with any questions you have.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to take a course but I'm unsure which to take.

I'd like it to be on a track and not in a parking lot.

I've been meaning to take a course but I'm unsure which to take.

I'd like it to be on a track and not in a parking lot.

That was one of my biggest problems with the Total Control course. While I learned alot and it is a good course, I think I would have got more out of it if there were less distractions. There were 3 groups of 10 or so bikes all doing the same exercises, I found myself losing concentration as I could see the other bikes out of the corner of my eye. This, and I should have re-read the book. ( read the book once about 6 mos before my course date)

Total Control. Had been riding for over 20 years before taking this course, and I never felt more comfortable on my bike until that day - by lunchtime I felt truly comfortable on the bike. Taking the highway on-ramp to head home was a completely different experience that day. :p

That was one of my biggest problems with the Total Control course. While I learned alot and it is a good course, I think I would have got more out of it if there were less distractions. There were 3 groups of 10 or so bikes all doing the same exercises, I found myself losing concentration as I could see the other bikes out of the corner of my eye. This, and I should have re-read the book. ( read the book once about 6 mos before my course date)

+1 to this

I also learned a lot more through Racer5 than Total Control. The skillset is largely the same but the difference is you're paying to learn in a parking lot on your own bike or on a race track with a rented bike. Crashing the rental is MUCH CHEAPER (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) than crashing your own.

Well, if your end goal is to crash, then, yeah, I suppose. :lmao: Only crash I witnessed at Total Control was a guy waiting in line to take his turn and he dropped his bike standing still.

I dropped my bike there too....Lee Parks was taking pictures of the exercises, he motioned for me to stop and look at his camera screen.....stopped, didn't put my foot down. Talk about fricken embarrassing....30+ people saw it.

I dropped my bike there too....Lee Parks was taking pictures of the exercises, he motioned for me to stop and look at his camera screen.....stopped, didn't put my foot down. Talk about fricken embarrassing....30+ people saw it.
Please tell me he still took the shot! Lol ?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Sorry to threadjack but how do these courses add up for people who are not necessarily say, 'experienced'? I'm not exactly sure what they mean by experienced but I have been riding for 5 years now and I don't necessarily feel 'experienced'. Motorcycling is one of those things where you are always learning but I just don't feel like I've explored my limits. Would these courses be good for someone like me?

I attended last weekend's Surviving the Streets in Cayuga and I think it's a good way to get familiar with your bike on a reasonable budget over a single day, especially if the 2 day courses would involve needing overnight accommodation. It started out slowly with a casual classroom session, light on the theory, more about what you can do that gets results and what you might already be doing that doesn't end up so well. e.g. the response that if you thought you had to "lay 'er down" you really just gave up, went in one ear and out the other of some folks, as expected. Oh well. Moving on . . .

It's late in the afternoon before you hitch up your gear and roll out to the track around 5 p.m. The track is busy with other programs and track time before that. We had 14 or 15 people, about 6 of them women. Mostly a mature group. We were divided into groups of 4 to 5 per instructor. They demonstrate the braking and avoidance/braking drill a few times and then we set out and do it. You always continue around the rest of the course so with that you are getting familiar with the layout at your own pace, just to get around to repeat the drill. Each lap you switch up as to who is directly behind the instructor. They look back to see if you are getting the hang of it and if you are lagging they will slow down to your pace. No passing. If the person in front is holding you back, you wait until you are first in line and you can coax the instructor to take a hint as to what pace you want to go, slower or faster. Before it's over you get some guidance on how to position your body, how to pick a good line for a corner and what's going to happen if you start playing up and down with your throttle while you're leaned over. Then free time on the track if you want, with passing allowed. By then it's 3 hours later and I measured 60 km of track on my odometer. It was plenty for me.

There is no testing pass or fail. The instructors are all easy going and want to see you enjoying things. You only do what you are comfortable with. If you need a break, take it. e.g. my quad muscles just died doing the hanging off and weaving exercises for so long so after a while I'd do maybe 5 and then coast down the straight sitting upright, saving my legs for the actual corners later on which was a good decision. At my own pace later through the turns I could appreciate the benefits of doing a good hang off so now I'm more inclined to practice that on the roads when suitable.

One thing I came away with is that pretty much any current motorcycle is just dogging it under the average rider. If you feel you need to explore your limits, like take things to where you pucker up to the seat, or scare yourself, this is not the course for you. I wanted to get back some confidence that when called for, I have reserves of cornering, braking and stability to move my body around that wisely shouldn't be put to the test on the road except to save my butt in an unexpected situation. i.e a little extra up my sleeve instead of freezing up like a deer in the headlights. Stuff I learned at my beginner course and has faded out of neglect. And I got all that.
Now I'm more motivated to tighten up my center stand because that kept grounding out on the left and I dragged my boot on the right a few times (bad positioning on my part)

FWIW, I ride a 1984 Yamaha FJ1100. Riding for 12 years on 2 bikes. Took RTI's M2 course the first year. Have my M.
The speedometers were taped over but the gear commander website makes me think I was doing 80 to 110 km/h on straights. So good thing it was taped over :)
I see Youtube videos from the same track with R1 and Gixxer speedometers indicating 170 on the two longest straights.

Last edited:
Advanced Rider Training is the actual name of the organization run by Police Sgt. Ryan Austin. While on a cross country trip from California to the east coast, I happened to be in Ontario last August (2016) and took the opportunity to improve my skills. I have 'only' been riding for 44 years and, (also as a pilot) have long known that proficiency has to be practiced and maintained all the time. SGT. Austin and his crew teach riding and safety techniques that benefit all levels of riders, whether they are beginners or experienced. My particular 'aha' moment was learning how to toss my huge bike around as if it were a moped. Full lock to lock direction changing is something I have NEVER, EVER been comfortable with. Part of the techniques Sgt Austin and crew teach is body positioning with the inside arm straight and locked while hanging a bun off the outside of the seat, whilst turning your head and eyes 90 degrees from the travel of direction, looking where you want to be. Quite the eye-opener, literally. Advanced Rider Training has expanded their operations to include the US, and their next course will be in San Diego this April. Count on me being there. The guys are great teachers, fun to be work with and I've certainly made new friends. (Although I'm originally from Ontario, I've lived in California for almost 30 years. As an added bonus and direct result of my having participated in the course, two of my fellow classmates and new riding friends from Ontario have already visited me here in California).

With training, you too can do this! As demonstrated by Quinn Redeker of the Ventura PD, this is motorcycle CONTROL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a82UJeI9M8c

Equally Amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVAaq0oLf7c

Last edited:
So is anyone signing up for a course this year? I'm seriously considering the Sharp Total Control 1 course.. my bike is way better than I am.. need to close that gap.

Back
Top Bottom