Yamaha R6 - M2 License | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha R6 - M2 License

I know a 49 year old, new rider who got quoted at cheapest $1750 on a shadow 750 and he's not going to ride for the next few years at least. It's easy for us to sit here and say what's reasonable and what's not, because we can afford it, but for most it's too expensive and they can put the money towards something better. All I'm saying is insurance should be cheaper, a lot cheaper, but I know it will never happen here

I know a 49 year old, new rider who got quoted at cheapest $1750 on a shadow 750 and he's not going to ride for the next few years at least. It's easy for us to sit here and say what's reasonable and what's not, because we can afford it, but for most it's too expensive and they can put the money towards something better. All I'm saying is insurance should be cheaper, a lot cheaper, but I know it will never happen here
That rider has a bad driving record, I presume?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Won't happen until laws change and young riders can't hop on a SS bike from the get-go.

Arguably if licensing remained the same, and insurance was cheaper, you'd have even more jumping on a 100hp bike and crashing it within their first year of riding. Also, anyone who knows the risks that come with riding without insurance and does so anyway needs their head examined, or they are an active competitor for the Darwin Award.

How old are your friends and what bikes are they trying to get. If they are around 25 and looking at a 250, rates shouldn't be unreasonable, even if they live downtown or in Brampton. Of course, this also only applies if they have a clean record (no tickets and no at fault claims) of course.

Also don't kid yourself...insurance companies are anything but stupid when it comes to money. They set rates on what profits they wish to make, and sure if they lowered rates to $1000 or less they might get your 10 friends...but each might cost them $1,000,000 from putting a CBR1000RR into a wall.

Insurance companies set their rates competitively not on wish to make. They abuse the system and force you to pay whatever they want because you have to.

Either could be his record (they consider tickets and accidents in a car too), or the fact it is a 750cc bike. I know in my case, I started at 29 in Toronto, on a CBR250RA (new). Full coverage was $1200/year, and dropped to $500/year after I proved myself in year 1 by not crashing or getting a ticket. Rates only went back up to just over $1000 when I traded in the 250 for the 650.

I also wouldn't call $1750/year unreasonable really (high, but not unreasonable). It's when you hear of people wanting SS bikes and getting quotes in the $4000-10,000/year range that we enter the ludicrous zone.

Either could be his record (they consider tickets and accidents in a car too), or the fact it is a 750cc bike. I know in my case, I started at 29 in Toronto, on a CBR250RA (new). Full coverage was $1200/year, and dropped to $500/year after I proved myself in year 1 by not crashing or getting a ticket. Rates only went back up to just over $1000 when I traded in the 250 for the 650.

I also wouldn't call $1750/year unreasonable really (high, but not unreasonable). It's when you hear of people wanting SS bikes and getting quotes in the $4000-10,000/year range that we enter the ludicrous zone.

I agree with you, just looking from an outside perspective. 1750 is unreasonable for most, that's why most people don't ride, most people can't afford it. It may seem reasonable in a province that pays one of the highest insurance rates in NA.

I agree with you, just looking from an outside perspective. 1750 is unreasonable for most, that's why most people don't ride, most people can't afford it. It may seem reasonable in a province that pays one of the highest insurance rates in NA.
$145 a month is unreasonable now?

Nahh.

Insurance rates for new young riders are totally unreasonable. No wonder I see so many bikes without license plates. Police can't do anything, they just can't catch these bikes, they're so fast.

I suspect you don't see the irony in your post.

Won't happen until laws change and young riders can't hop on a SS bike from the get-go.

Exactly! But how many "I gotta have that 600RR doood, those 250's are pansy bikes, ride or die!" sorts do we see here?

I know a 49 year old, new rider who got quoted at cheapest $1750 on a shadow 750

With all due respect, your 49 year old friend either has issues on his driving record that he's not being honest with you about, or he only called 1 or 2 insurance companies for his quotes and took them at face value as what he was going to get everywhere and didn't keep looking for anything better. I'm a perfect example of the fact he's out to lunch - I'm 43 and just came back to riding last year after a 20 year absence. Since I was dumb and never took my M2>M exit exam 20 years back when I last rode I had to start all over again last fall, yet with my M2 and the safety course (and a clean record) I'm only paying $500/year for a 1300CC cruiser. I didn't get that price by calling 1 or 2 insurance companies and then assuming that was the best rate I was going to find, however - to the contrary, the first one I called (TD) quoted me over $3000!

Last edited:
If you have lots of money, then insure the bike, ride it and enjoy it. The insurance will be very expensive for someone your age. I know its a tough pill to swallow. Your realistic chance to ride legally would be selling the r6 and buying a smaller bike. You could also sit on your M2 until you are 25 and then pick up the r6. Insurance savings themselves should pay a good chunk for the bike.

I couldn't get any decent quotes on an r6 as a new rider when I was 25.

Arguably if licensing remained the same, and insurance was cheaper, you'd have even more jumping on a 100hp bike and crashing it within their first year of riding. Also, anyone who knows the risks that come with riding without insurance and does so anyway needs their head examined, or they are an active competitor for the Darwin Award.

How old are your friends and what bikes are they trying to get. If they are around 25 and looking at a 250, rates shouldn't be unreasonable, even if they live downtown or in Brampton. Of course, this also only applies if they have a clean record (no tickets and no at fault claims) of course.

Also don't kid yourself...insurance companies are anything but stupid when it comes to money. They set rates on what profits they wish to make, and sure if they lowered rates to $1000 or less they might get your 10 friends...but each might cost them $1,000,000 from putting a CBR1000RR into a wall.

I got pretty decent quotes on 500-650 cruisers after I turned 25

I echo @PrivatePilot 's post; that rate has other issues tied to it (Shadow 750). I was 37 in one of the most expensive citys. And at my worst I was paying $900. Now 6 years later, full M full coverage $352/year.

I echo @PrivatePilot 's post; that rate has other issues tied to it (Shadow 750). I was 37 in one of the most expensive citys. And at my worst I was paying $900. Now 6 years later, full M full coverage $352/year.

Lol I pay almost 5x what you pay. If only I paid 350... I'd be able to do so much stuff...

Lol I pay almost 5x what you pay. If only I paid 350... I'd be able to buy more bikes...

Fixed it for ya.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Lol I pay almost 5x what you pay. If only I paid 350... I'd be able to do so much stuff...
Whatcha riding?

Aviva will have very competitive rates based on your age with the training course complete.

Contact me if you would like to obtain a quote.

Thanks

Hey Paul, how is Aviva if you never did the course but have a full M, 25+ and 7+ years experience? I'm looking to get a 600cc supersport for next year. Got a minor ticket though but no claims or accidents.

OP here's some info for you.

At 21 with my m1 I was insured by state Farm on a 2014 ninja 300 for 1690 per year no collision.

Sold that and bought a 2015 cbr600rr later. State Farm quoted 1900 if I brought over my truck, which they were about 500 higher on. I went a different route for insurance with that bike. I had my M2

I'm now at 22 paying 1900/ year for my 2016 Yamaha FZ-09.

Rates took a huge jump this spring. Honestly being 20 with an m1, I'd be surprised if you get insurance. If you do, expect in the 4000 range.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP here's some info for you.

At 21 with my m1 I was insured by state Farm on a 2014 ninja 300 for 1690 per year no collision.

Sold that and bought a 2015 cbr600rr later. State Farm quoted 1900 if I brought over my truck, which they were about 500 higher on. I went a different route for insurance with that bike. I had my M2

I'm now at 22 paying 1900/ year for my 2016 Yamaha FZ-09.

Rates took a huge jump this spring. Honestly being 20 with an m1, I'd be surprised if you get insurance. If you do, expect in the 4000 range.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

3 different bikes in 1-2 years? Or am I reading your post wrong?

the worst quote i ever got was when i was 20. i was quoted $1000 a month but had to pay the full year upfront (is how it was worded..) so 12 grand cash and that was on a katana...i want to say it was a 600. i was also given the same quote on a gs500 at the time.

fast forward im now over 30, 100% clean record, full GM class and pay $649/year on a 600rr and $1400 on a newer truck.

rates are all over the map, you really need a good broker to get affordable rates.

Back
Top Bottom