check your pressure or risk death | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

check your pressure or risk death

Jeez, you guys are really put a lot of science into it (barometric pressure, thunderstorm???) ... it's just tire pressure, not a brain surgery.

and???

The minute you ride 5 miles you shift the pressure up due to temperature of the tire ....drive through a thunder storm and your barometric -pressure drops suddenly then goes back up....really immaterial. IF you fill cold at temperature extremes you should check again when the temp is moderate.

Your tire is a sealed system and once it comes to temperature that's what you are riding at. A tire at 2c will show a much lower psi than what it was filled at at 20c. But when warmed up will come up past the 20c pressure.

No question your start point has some play in how the bike handles and your mileage but it's just a start point.

My Strom stabilizes warm at 45 and 37 front and back regardless of the ambient temp. 42 and 36 at say 20c cold.
Seeing a steady read out from a TPMS is very informative when underway and you really can dial in a best practice for slab or twists.

Is this the reason some people rave about nitrogen in tires? More stable?

dont forget the effects of altitude....as you climb higher the barometric pressure drops and your tire psi will rise...also if you ship your bike by air the tires will explode if theyre not deflated first :rolleyes:

I run helium in the front on my DR650. Helps get the front up and over the logs across the single track. I'm really considering running it in the back also but the tracts I play in don't really have many mud holes where I'd get an advantage.

I've also heard rumors of guys using their mityvac to draw a 5"Hg on their tubliss setups. Apparently the bees knees for deep sand.

how deep is your tongue stuck in your cheek??? dangerous that :D

also if you ship your bike by air the tires will explode if theyre not deflated first

not

Is this the reason some people rave about nitrogen in tires? More stable?

I'm not playing....nitrogen is a waste of money in my view. There is some thin basis to it as it's dry and not prone to temperature swings but air is 70% nitrogen.
Might be a factor in Formula One tires....in mcycle tires....stimulates active imaginations but let the flame war begin.

Last edited:
I run 36F 42R

Feels good to me, although the rear end will slide around when I push it on a cold day. But that's more to do with my dirt track experience and the superior power my bike is putting to the ground.

Your fantasy world must be a fun place for you.

Its more because your tire is over inflated and the road conditions. Superior power......c'mon.

You start with a cold pressure, what happens from there is of little concern when riding on the street. Don't run 20psi in a tire that calls for max 42psi. That max psi is for when you have a heavy load. Drop it 5 psi and you'll end up with a nicer ride and better grip. Play around with pressures a little bit and find what you like BUT be diligent on checking the tires and use the same gauge. Thats all the PSA was about, make sure your not riding on flat tires. Jeez.

Drennan will teach you guys how to drift. His FZ6 is superior, so try to keep up...okkkk

I'm not playing....nitrogen is a waste of money in my view. There is some thin basis to it as it's dry and not prone to temperature swings but air is 70% nitrogen.
Might be a factor in Formula One tires....in mcycle tires....stimulates active imaginations but let the flame war begin.

FWIR, nitrogen was specified for aircraft tires first. Engineers don't like rapid pressure changes during takeoff, flight or landing.

I run helium in the front on my DR650. Helps get the front up and over the logs across the single track. I'm really considering running it in the back also but the tracts I play in don't really have many mud holes where I'd get an advantage.

I've also heard rumors of guys using their mityvac to draw a 5"Hg on their tubliss setups. Apparently the bees knees for deep sand.

You're talking funny.

check your pressure or risk death

Thanks Riceburner...because high blood pressure is meaningless, lol.....

No. high blood pressure and you risk death. That's why there's drugs for that. And you should monitor it or at least get a yearly physical.

lmk what point you would like to debate with me
Did you miss the other post with more details?
Notice I said what IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII do.

Riddle me this...it's Sunday morning at 7 am you getting ready to go for group ride...you don't have a manual, the manufacturers are closed, the bike shops are closed...now what?

Where did I specifically mention you in my post?
Not interested in a debate over what people do to their own motorcycles, Just would hate to see a new rider fall victim to poorly written or mis-read advise. from any poster (including myself) on this or any other forum.
If that offends you, my apologies..

But, as to your riddle. Perhaps ask a trusted fellow rider on the 7am group ride?

or you should know that basic info before you need it? Or Google it.....I hear it's a good resource for the modern age.

FWIR, nitrogen was specified for aircraft tires first. Engineers don't like rapid pressure changes during takeoff, flight or landing.

"regular" free air is already 80% nitrogen...the %age in the hot air blown around here may significantly vary

and???

The minute you ride 5 miles you shift the pressure up due to temperature of the tire ....drive through a thunder storm and your barometric -pressure drops suddenly then goes back up....really immaterial. IF you fill cold at temperature extremes you should check again when the temp is moderate.

Your tire is a sealed system and once it comes to temperature that's what you are riding at. A tire at 2c will show a much lower psi than what it was filled at at 20c. But when warmed up will come up past the 20c pressure.

No question your start point has some play in how the bike handles and your mileage but it's just a start point.

My Strom stabilizes warm at 45 and 37 front and back regardless of the ambient temp. 42 and 36 at say 20c cold.
Seeing a steady read out from a TPMS is very informative when underway and you really can dial in a best practice for slab or twists.

BP is separate from tire pressure changes from riding. They can cancel each other out or add together. On a bad day several PSI. Unless your name is Jimmy-Bob and you'r running NASCAR it probably isn't a big deal.

Air is IIRC about a 20/80 with some other bits thrown in. Oxygen molecules are smaller and leak out faster than nitrogen so if you don't bleed out the stale air eventually your tire will contain mostly nitrogen.

"regular" free air is already 80% nitrogen...the %age in the hot air blown around here may significantly vary

Hey, if you're going to get snooty at least be more accurate in the age of Google (78.whatever% Nitrogen). I would guess the concern was more for the amount of water vapour in the air and not the oxygen, argon or carbon dioxide (which easily dissolves through butyl rubber). For street vehicles, it's just another way to separate fools from their money.

Altitude is more of a practical issue with BP....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=167

as is temperature. Even today riding slab at speed - 34 degrees ambient...the tires on the Wee got to 43 and 38 ...only 1 psi more than at moderate temps ( 42 and 37 ).
They start cold at 38 and 34

Wow, three pages on tire pressure. This is the new "what oil you using?" thread..

:agave:

Back
Top Bottom