Question about gasoline in containers. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about gasoline in containers.

sempre1

Last week i filled up my 2 containers with gasoline 40 litres, since i was not able to use it over the weekend because of weather conditions my Question is to all you experts - How long can i keep the gasoline in containers? Does it go bad if i don't use it in 2weeks to a month's time?

Tnk you much appreciated.

Yes.
(I don't like to follow the crowd)
I have lawnmower gas in the can all summer.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Comprehension fail Joe B. You can keep gas in the trunk as long as it's in some kind of container.

The gasoline loses some volatility over time (months). The ethanol content (if any) may separate from the octane/heptane - but all you need to do is shake it to mix it back up before filling/using. For any cans that get too long in the tooth, I top up the wife's car - gets diluted in the larger volume tank.

Comprehension fail Joe B. You can keep gas in the trunk as long as it's in some kind of container.
Yeah. I'm lost. Again.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Actually i was thinking to use it on my vehicle and then buy a fresh gas for my next track day, but since it can be store...hey good to know. Tnk you.

Ethanol gas shouldn't be stored any longer than necessary due to phase separation. Google it.

A few weeks, a month, maybe 2...but beyond that, pour it into your car and burn it.

If you want to keep gas in your garage for a "just in case" scenario find ethanol free - much longer shelf life.

Ethanol gas shouldn't be stored any longer than necessary due to phase separation. Google it.

A few weeks, a month, maybe 2...but beyond that, pour it into your car and burn it.

If you want to keep gas in your garage for a "just in case" scenario find ethanol free - much longer shelf life.
Isn't it from Shell ethanol free? Just curiosity..

Shell Premium is. Its also wise not to store gasoline for too long in case your container isn't perfectly sealed - condensation.
That's the only gasoline i've been using Premium, the plan is to keep it store to July 1st. So i guess it's ok.

Last edited:
You should avoid ethanol fuels in anything that isn't going to consume it relatively quickly. I use ethanol fuels only in my truck. In my bikes, generator and lawnmower I use ethanol free gas, usually Shell 91 just because there's one in town. There are several brands that have ethanol free 91 including Esso, Canadian Tire and Ultramar. Check out http://www.pure-gas.org/

You should avoid ethanol fuels in anything that isn't going to consume it relatively quickly. I use ethanol fuels only in my truck. In my bikes, generator and lawnmower I use ethanol free gas, usually Shell 91 just because there's one in town. There are several brands that have ethanol free 91 including Esso, Canadian Tire and Ultramar. Check out http://www.pure-gas.org/[/QUOTE

I'm only using 91oct at Shell and Esso for my bikes and that's it. For my vehicle i use what ever.lol

You should avoid ethanol fuels in anything that isn't going to consume it relatively quickly. I use ethanol fuels only in my truck. In my bikes, generator and lawnmower I use ethanol free gas, usually Shell 91 just because there's one in town. There are several brands that have ethanol free 91 including Esso, Canadian Tire and Ultramar. Check out http://www.pure-gas.org/
Any Esso I've ever been to says up to 10% ethanol in premium.

I use Shell or Ultramar.

Shell Premium is. Its also wise not to store gasoline for too long in case your container isn't perfectly sealed - condensation.

Actually, that's not true. It depends on which supplier is supplying that particular Shell station. Many Shell stations that distribute 91 octane "premium" are supplying 91 octane gasoline with up to 10% ethanol.

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ON

Edit: just noticed all CanTire 91 octane is ethanol free.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom