Ontario Bill 213 needs your support | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario Bill 213 needs your support

Ducati Rules

Site Supporter
MPP Eleanor McMahon needs your support to finally get this Bill passed. Too many car drivers get off lightly when they kill riders by turning left. SUPPORT THIS BILL>

MPP Eleanor McMahon needs your support to finally get this Bill passed. Too many car drivers get off lightly when they kill riders by turning left. SUPPORT THIS BILL>
Would be great if you provided info on what this bill is and how we would support it to begin with....

So, if you fall off your bike trying to stop and it hits someone, you'll most likely be charged, and all these new penalties will come into effect.

Also, the fine for 172 is doubled in some cases.

More laws + less common sense = a better Ontario. Cue provincial theme song.

More laws + less common sense = a better Ontario. Cue provincial theme song.

I had a zany idea that if a small group presented some MP's a stupid rule/law to pass by creating trumped up importance that it will get them re/elected
and it for saving the kids and women...keep a blog going to show the progress of stupidity.

I'm opposed to the bill because it's being presented by a seated member of the ruling party that has viewed licensing and training as a fee generator and created insurance rules that are really just a pay-to-play tax. Presenting this bill from this party is cynicism at it's finest.

If this was really about deterrence against careless driving then this:

"(2) If the commission of an offence under subsection (1) results in the death of or bodily harm to any person, the convicted person is liable instead to a fine of not less than $2,000 and not more than $50,000"

would read more like:

"(2) If the commission of an offence under subsection (1) results in the death of or bodily harm to any person, the convicted person is liable instead to a fine of not less than $20,000 and not more than $500,000"

plus

" (a) his or her licence or permit will be forfeit and the driver will be prohibited from driving for a period of not less than five years; and
(b) before being permitted to drive, he or she will be required to re-qualify for a driver's licence through all levels of graduated licensing scheme, and
(c) he or she will be required take road safety course or driver training course."

Causing the death or maiming of another through carelessness and/or negligence should carry far stiffer penalties than are on the books now or what is proposed here. Mandatory jail time should be considered too...

I had a zany idea that if a small group presented some MP's a stupid rule/law to pass by creating trumped up importance that it will get them re/elected
and it for saving the kids and women...keep a blog going to show the progress of stupidity.

Okay, spitballing here...PREGNANT MOTORCYCLISTS ENDANGERED BY TEXTING DRIVERS IN DISADVANTAGED SCHOOL ZONES!

Members of the house, Mister Speaker and the Honourable Premier, Ontario is fast approaching a crisis. How fast? Ninja H2R fast! Recent breakthroughs in Facebook research strongly suggest that the same microwave cellphone technology that threatened honeybee populations and motorists pumping their own gasoline is now threatening HVEMs (High Velocity Expectant Mothers)...

Take it away, -D-.

Okay, spitballing here...PREGNANT MOTORCYCLISTS ENDANGERED BY TEXTING DRIVERS IN DISADVANTAGED SCHOOL ZONES!

Members of the house, Mister Speaker and the Honourable Premier, Ontario is fast approaching a crisis. How fast? Ninja H2R fast! Recent breakthroughs in Facebook research strongly suggest that the same microwave cellphone technology that threatened honeybee populations and motorists pumping their own gasoline is now threatening HVEMs (High Velocity Expectant Mothers)...

Take it away, -D-.

Actually, I think you might be on to something.
Let's make a push to ban high power bikes by linking them tot he crazy speeders and further associate them as dangerous weapons that the police can not capture. I mean if a terrorist has one then the police should have them too or simply remove the danger to our children.
How are the police supposed to catch these dangerous school zone speeders?

We can probably get them to trigger a study to find the correlation of high power bikes to speeding then linking to police evasion then to death.

I'm opposed to the bill because it's being presented by a seated member of the ruling party that has viewed licensing and training as a fee generator and created insurance rules that are really just a pay-to-play tax. Presenting this bill from this party is cynicism at it's finest.

The "ruling" party(s) are all the same.

Graduated licensing was introduced by the NDP.

Drive Test / Privatization by the Conservs.

Libs just carrying on

I think this can be amended "SINGLE PARENT PREGNANT MOTORCYCLISTS ENDANGERED BY TEXTING DRIVERS IN DISADVANTAGED SCHOOL ZONES

So, if you fall off your bike trying to stop and it hits someone, you'll most likely be charged, and all these new penalties will come into effect.

Also, the fine for 172 is doubled in some cases.

Oh hell no

After two days and a few replies with only 2 people seeing the purpose of this Bill I can see how riders in Canada get stomped on and feel nothing. Having being an innocent victim of a left turn drunk driver I see a need for this Bill first brought together by the NDP with support from BRO and now supported by one Lib. Take a page out of more progressive 'biker groups here and in Europe.

After two days and a few replies with only 2 people seeing the purpose of this Bill I can see how riders in Canada get stomped on and feel nothing. Having being an innocent victim of a left turn drunk driver I see a need for this Bill first brought together by the NDP with support from BRO and now supported by one Lib. Take a page out of more progressive 'biker groups here and in Europe.

Stop being a buzz kill
if it ain't this or that then they don't care

1. I have a hard time supporting anything that increases the power or penalties of HTA 172 offences in any way.

2. I don't see this doing much. You could probably increase the penalty to summary execution without great effect. Something that we could borrow from Europe that I think would help more is improved/stricter driver training standards.

This differs from soccer mom wiping snotty noses while driving and doing a killer turn if soccer mom is sober.

If Marco Muzzo was sober and killed four people because he was texting would he be in jail?

I'm not sure how US and Canadian courts differ but my understanding is that someone is indirectly killed during the commission of a crime it's first degree murder, ie someone run over by a getaway vehicle. Muzzo was committing a criminal act by driving drunk when he killed the four.

In a different thread someone pointed out that riders choose to be vulnerable and what would be a fender bender in a cage is life changing on a bike. I hate it when my thoughts of self importance are so accurately downgraded.

If any unsafe act, turns, speed, lighting, door opening etc. causes the death of a person does it automatically mean jail time?

Can a person be sent to jail for a non-criminal act? If not then the acts have to be made criminal such as dangerous driving or DUI before jail is an optional sentence. That means an illegal turn gets you a criminal record even if you don't hurt anyone.

I agree that it is sickening that a driver only gets a $600.00 fine for killing someone but this bill has some very sticky strings attached.

Back
Top Bottom