Hearing aid costs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hearing aid costs

FiReSTaRT

Site Supporter
Due to a change in my family situation, I am looking for a career change as well. Some of the jobs I had in mind involve hearing standards (both assisted and unassisted). I've been functioning without an aid. I know I have issues in some frequencies that are most likely congenital but I'd need to get a hearing test done and eventually get a hearing aid. Does anyone know if OHIP covers some of the hearing aid cost, how much and how much is the typical out of pocket expense? Thanks for any info you can give me.

I believe there is no coverage at all for hearing

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

I believe there is no coverage at all for hearing

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

From what I understood, 75% of the cost would be covered through the Assisted Device Program unless it's as open as Toronto's pothole damage compensation program. But I'd like to know what the typical options are and what are the total costs.

OHIP helps cover if your under 18, there is a range of devices and price, when my son wore them, both ears, a very good quality Siemens pair was $3000.00 . You can spend more and less.
Private insurance can often have a component that covers some if not all, my wifes covers 2K.

Just started looking into this for my son as well. Costco has them for between $1- $2k
Just bumped up my benefits and now have $3500 over 3 years iirc
In ear are less expensive than the behind the ear ones.
From what I understand, the fee for a Costco card will be saved on the savings of the aid.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Joe , I'm sorry to hear your son may be looking at hearing aids. Its a pain in the arse at best. Good luck to him.

Thanks for the heads up on Costco.. I'll probably get a membership just for that lol If it's 2k for a top of the line pair (and the province knocks off $1000), I can deal with it even though it will hurt a bit on what I'm currently making lol Definitely wanna run CIC type, so it may turn out to be a bit cheaper. Of course if my unaided hearing loss is bad enough to make me ineligible, then I'll just forget all about it and look for work elsewhere. No benefits with my current job.

One of mine has to get an ear plug, because of a small hole in his eardrum, hopefully it never gets to the point of aids.

You might need to be disabled to get OHIP to cover you through the Assistive Devices Program, maybe check and see.

One of mine has to get an ear plug, because of a small hole in his eardrum, hopefully it never gets to the point of aids.

You might need to be disabled to get OHIP to cover you through the ADP, maybe check and see.

I'll meet my doctor soon, just gotta get a replacement OHIP card. Hopefully it won't be that bad if hearing loss of so many dB at such and such frequencies can be demonstrated. I know it already was at the age of 13 (MANY moons ago) but I don't remember which frequencies and how much.

Joe , I'm sorry to hear your son may be looking at hearing aids. Its a pain in the arse at best. Good luck to him.
Thanks. They are gonna retest in the fall, as he is still 4, and they said that leaves room for error. And it's just his left ear. Honestly though, we, nor the school have ever noticed any issues. He might not hear, but he listens 10x better than his older brother. ?

@Firestart before you get the membership, just tell them that you want to look around, then check the aods aids out. If it looks like it will be worth it, then get the membership. And ask if the executive membership rebate works with hearing aids. If so, there is a 2% rebate on all purchases (costs a little more though) .

@Firestart before you get the membership, just tell them that you want to look around, then check the aods aids out. If it looks like it will be worth it, then get the membership. And ask if the executive membership rebate works with hearing aids. If so, there is a 2% rebate on all purchases (costs a little more though) .

Thanks for the heads up. I've only got memberships with them twice. When they had an insane deal on a 55" Vizio TV back in 2011 and when I needed a new gun safe back in 2013 :cool:

There was a piece on Marketplace iirc that insiders said hearings aids basically cost $50 but they jack up the price.

As for testing go to your GP and say you hear ringing in your ears they will refer you to a testing clinic free of charge.

Regretably what those muppets at Marketplace miss is yes the actual unit cost may be $50 , but without profitability the research and development would slow or stop and we would have earpieces the size of cellphones, like in the 60's. Now they are super compact, much better battery life and have senistivity ranges that allow you to keep them in at a party, not have your head blowup. Or you can get the $50 models.

holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

Well, the time may have come. I went in to get a baseline for my hearing - I had all sorts of infections/problems as a kid, and was told I should get a pair of hearing aids.

The problem now is, that all of the places seem to give "free" hearing tests and then a sales pitch for an expensive device, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to compare prices.

The non rechargeable pair was priced at $5,500 Canadian for two Unitron Moxi T? Fit 800 units. After discounts and some ADD rebate, the price is still $4,170, which seems like a lot.

Anybody, know if they're any good, or any decent options?

Age and working in construction makes me think I should follow this thread. Not too bad yet but hearing doesn't recover.

Makes me wonder about the kids walking around with ear buds.

I had an elderly neighbour, a super nice guy but visiting him was torture because he was very deaf and you had to shout. He had aids but wouldn't wear them.

A friend works in construction and is going through the process of getting a free hearing aid for his bad ear. His father gets a pair every 5 years or so for free.

I have the aids now for a week or two trial. A new sale started the day after I was quoted, and the aids are now $1000 less, and rechargeable is the same price as disposable battery.

I've tried them for a couple of days in and out, and am unsure whether I want them. I'm not sure the pain in the ... factor is worth the bother of not having to ask people to repeat themselves every once in a while.

I'm not sure the pain in the ... factor is worth the bother of not having to ask people to repeat themselves every once in a while.

On the phone my Mom keeps talking and talking because she can't hear that I am also talking. So i have to literally yell or raise my voice so she can listen.

She would also not hear many things and this was something that progressed a lot over time. She got hearing aids about a year ago and says that when she goes outside for walks (lives in Georgian Bay), it's amazing all the sounds of birds and stuff that she coulnd't hear before. I can finally talk to her on the phone again and have a normal conversation. Point is - it's not just about the hassle for you, but for all those in your life that you interact with frequently.

As someone who has listened to excessively loud music for far too long and will likely need to go this route later on, I will be all over the hearing aids when I need it.

That’s part of the point. My wife attributes my rare inability to hear, more to selective listening than hearing loss. At this moment she might be right.

Back in the seventies I stupidly used to sit right beside the speakers in downtown Toronto “rock” bars.

I’ll probably just start getting my hearing checked annually now, and get aids when the tickling sensation in my ears is worth it. Until then having sounds amplified into my ears might make my hearing deteriorate faster.

@Baggsy when the time comes check out Costco. Their hearing aids are a good deal.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom