Bike wont start..Help? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike wont start..Help?

mistersouthpaw

So after waiting up till 3 am to go drive my girlfriend home from the bar she works at in a pretty ****** area to be alone at night in, my bike wouldnt start. Dont know much about mechanics so I am hoping you all could help me diagnose this issue. Hoping it is just spark plugs or something. Seems like it wants to start but isnt igniting fuel. Anyway.. video posted! Thanks in advance

Also: engine had been sputtering a bit when taking off in first. Bike is a en500C. Had been noticing a growl coming from the exhaust when id let off the throttle and the rpms would drop low only at certain rpms and didnt really notice this before/may have always done this but cant get video of this because bike wont start

Thanks!

Video:
[video]https://sendvid.com/dg5rktnz#[/video]

Looks like battery. The clicking sound of the starter relay is typical.

If you do try to jump start from a car, the car must not be running at the time.

Check battery terminals/cables to ensure screws tight.

A volt meter will come in handy.

Only try this if you have enough power to prime the pump/run the electrics, have room, and feel safe doing so:

[video=youtube;T9D3TBy6hYI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9D3TBy6hYI[/video]

Thanks for all the help... plenty of gas and im familiar with push starting it thanks. I just picked up a charger though so ill give that a chance and go from there!

If the battery has 'plugs' on top, it may be the type where you have to add water. If so, could be low. Use distilled water to top up. a flashlight might help to see the level while it's still in the bike.

What year is the bike? if this is the original battery, you'll most likely need a new one. Glen at Flying Squirrel Moto (Dundas/Carlaw) can take care of you...

I'm not sure if it's the original battery but it sure looks as if it is.. I just pulled it out to charge it and acid has leaked all out of it and the positive terminal is covered in white and blue gunk

10b76a8922d467ea66ce97ed3f512f9d.jpg

I got caught out in the rain pretty bad.. I wonder if that's what did it

It's an 05

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Make sure to clean the terminals and connectors before reinstalling...

A little bit of Coca Cola will clean thise right up. Remove battery before trying this.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Pick up a tube of dielectric grease. Coat the terminals/screw after its all tightened up and it will help prevent such buildup. I also use a dab of this whenever changing bulbs or disconnecting/reconnecting electrical connectors.

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

If you can't figure it out on your own let frekeguy know - he's very good with fixing issues like this and doesn't charge dealer prices.

If thats how your battery looks, after you fix the starting issue, I would suggest to check your charging circuit with voltmeter:

1. start the bike (boost it, get new battery, whatever...)
2. put volmeter to the battery, note the voltage
3. rev the bike up, should be about 14.0... 15.0 volts
4. if voltage is over or more like 15.5+ volts, you are cooking your battery and need to replace voltage regulator
5. if voltage drops below 12.5, your alternator is shot and not charging.

Last edited:
If thats how your battery looks, after you fix the starting issue, I would suggest to check your charging circuit with voltmeter:

1. start the bike (boost it, get new battery, whatever...)
2. put volmeter to the battery, not the voltage
3. rev the bike up, should be about 16... 16.5 volts
4. if voltage is over or more like 19+ volts, you are cooking your battery and need to replace voltage regulator
5. if voltage drops below 12.5, your alternator is shot and not charging.

ok will do thanks!

Back
Top Bottom