Property Taxes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Property Taxes

I know you guys have been getting hosed. Mayor Fred is politiking for support of LRT by appealing to lower your taxes.

My Mayor's name is Rick.

<------ look there.

Last edited:
Leave the front looking like a disaster area for when the tax man comes by. Improve the inside to your liking.

Leave the front looking like a disaster area for when the tax man comes by. Improve the inside to your liking.

What's your problem?

I think you guys are missing that the make work project is a done deal.
Instead of spending so much on LRT's why not simply create diamond lanes (with time of day) and run the extra long buses.
Ottawa functions without LRT, their bus system is like an above ground subway.
But hey, govt. making jobs.

This is a prime example of what I'm talking about. What additional value does the 8 grand buy you? Nothing. This is outrages but we just roll over because that's what we do. Are we supposed to be grateful because our property value went up? How is that any of city halls business? And then for the Mayor to appease outlying jurisdictions with the carrot of lower taxes based on projected increase for others is beyond the pale. And of course it goes without saying the taxes will not be lowered after all or minimally at best. People are ugly.

If you park a beater car at a lot it costs you say $20.00. If you fix the car up with alloys, a paint job and upholstery the price stays the same.

If you park a house on a lot suddenly it costs the city more to service the lot because you fixed the place up????

Wealth tax.

If you park a beater car at a lot it costs you say $20.00. If you fix the car up with alloys, a paint job and upholstery the price stays the same.

If you park a house on a lot suddenly it costs the city more to service the lot because you fixed the place up????

Wealth tax.

This is the GTA...now shuddup and pay up:D

Toronto has the lowest property tax rate in the GTA

screen-shot-2012-12-12-at-1-23-58-pm.png

Toronto has the lowest property tax rate in the GTA

screen-shot-2012-12-12-at-1-23-58-pm.png
o
hopefully, Toronto can leverage that 2.9 million population plus businesses, and lower it further against Barrie's

o
hopefully, Toronto can leverage that 2.9 million population plus businesses, and lower it further against Barrie's

I don't remember Barrie ever having to raise the cost of passes on their subway to cover billion dollar deficits.

And the average price for a home in Toronto is??? just a 3 bedroom say 1800-2000 sq.ft.

High, but Toronto is still warped. For single family homes, $3.5 million houses in Rosedale pay less (in $) than $1 million houses north of the city. Condo property taxes in Toronto are probably higher than they should be. The city has trouble rejecting a condo application when the development removes houses generating 30,000 in tax and replaces it with a development that generates 10x that and removes the need for some services such as garbage collection.

People all scream that increasing the rates will drive out the old people and/or reduce the property values. There is a simple answer, do a rate reset on transfer of ownership (from $10,000 for current owner to $35,000 for new owner). Sure that may depress the house from 3.5 to 3, but you bought the house for $20,000 so shut the hell up.

So, $1,000,000 X 0.008 vs $400,000 X 0.013 = $8,000 vs $5,200 Toronto vs Barrie

So, $1,000,000 X 0.008 vs $400,000 X 0.013 = $8,000 vs $5,200 Toronto vs Barrie

I guess my Barrie subway comment about you apples/oranges comparison went over your head. Barrie is in Simcoe County. It's not in the GTA. It shouldn't be on that list. If you want to do an honest comparison that doesn't skew your numbers to make your (inaccurate) comparison look better compare Toronto to one of the cities that's actually in the GTA like Oakville (Halton), Brampton (Peel), Pickering (Durham), or Newmarket (North York).

Back
Top Bottom