Clutch cable or ???? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clutch cable or ????

rakkaus

Hi,

i don't know if it's normal or not after fully release the clutch lever, there's around 15 mm of free play on it didn't get retract, as if the clutch lever arm doesn't have enough force to pull the cable back.
is there a spring inside the clutch lever arm for the free play retraction? how can i fix this?

Check in your owner's manual and it will tell you how much freeplay there should be, and how to adjust it. There should always be some. Mine says 10-15 mm.

Last edited:
Check in your owner's manual and it will tell you how much freeplay there should be. There should always be some.

i know there should be some free play (10 mm - 20 mm). it's just after the friction zone the clutch lever wont move to its fully released position, basically the clutch lever stuck right after friction zone unless i push it back or engine vibration force it back.

Mine had very little freeplay and I ended up burning out the clutch with low speed maneuvers.

Sounds about right. You can bring it down to about 10 but I wouldn't go any lower. Just keep it well lubed

From an Australian CBR manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/CBR250R-RA 32KYJE000.pdf

Clutch adjustment may be required if the motorcycle stalls when shifting into gear or tends to creep; or if the clutch slips, causing acceleration to lag behind engine speed. Minor adjustments can be made with the clutch cable adjuster ( ) at the clutch lever.

Normal clutch lever freeplay is 10-20mm.

If it's older then check for binding, and the proper way to lube the cable.

Its likely to change once the engine gets hot. Set it cold and forget it.

i know there should be some free play (10 mm - 20 mm). it's just after the friction zone the clutch lever wont move to its fully released position, basically the clutch lever stuck right after friction zone unless i push it back or engine vibration force it back.

lube it or get a new one.

Better slightly too much than not enough...too much and you might not fully disengage the engine when stopped at idle RPM...to little and you'll be burning your clutch as you ride down the road at high/higher RPM.

Personally I run more than what even the manual calls for...so long as the bike doesn't move/RPMs don't change with the clutch lever pulled in 1st vs N, and the engagement point is somewhere in the middle of the lever travel, you should be ok.

My CBR650F is known for having next to no friction zone and what it does have, it has right as soon as there is tension on the cable, making it hard to regulate at stock freeplay. Adding a little bit solves this, so long as you know you are not dragging the clutch when stopped. If memory serves, the CBR250R didn't really have the same engagement point issue.

Last edited:
On some bikes you don't even need to disconnect the cable. Love this tool
strawinserted.jpg

On some bikes you don't even need to disconnect the cable. Love this tool
strawinserted.jpg

Confused...to mount that you'd still need to pull the cable out of the lever though....

Confused...to mount that you'd still need to pull the cable out of the lever though....

Depending on the bike, the cable and the side you're looking at, sometimes you have enough room to just mount the tool and spray. That's why I prefer the single screw shorty lubricators as they require about 1/2" less cable sticking out of the sheath

Back
Top Bottom