Glove and Shoe fit questions. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Glove and Shoe fit questions.

morkys

Regarding motorcycle glove fit, I have read that you shouldn't have gloves that are too tight around your fingers and knuckles, and that makes sense. Also, your fingers should not be touching the ends, but then again, you should not find the glove bunching up in your palm etc. These things make sense to me, however; I find myself not able to find gloves that meet all of these criteria. Gloves either feel a little snug and touch the ends of my fingers, or they bunch up around the palm.

I am trying the gloves on and putting my hands around motorcycle handlebar grips. I don't want gloves that are too tight. Years ago I somehow chose a pair of gloves that were a Small and now when I used them, they feel too tight.

How do your gloves fit?

Also, with boots, how snugly do you fit your motorcycle shoes/boots?

I find that leather gloves adapt to your hands after a while, whether you buy them a little bit too large or a bit too small. I have a mix of L and XL sized gloves 'cause my hands are right between these sizes. The small ones stretch and the large ones shrink after a bunch of heat/sweat cycles.

Can't help with riding boots - I've been wearing 10-hole Dr. Martens exclusively. And with impunity. #sueme

Regarding motorcycle glove fit, I have read that you shouldn't have gloves that are too tight around your fingers and knuckles, and that makes sense. Also, your fingers should not be touching the ends, but then again, you should not find the glove bunching up in your palm etc. These things make sense to me, however; I find myself not able to find gloves that meet all of these criteria. Gloves either feel a little snug and touch the ends of my fingers, or they bunch up around the palm.

I am trying the gloves on and putting my hands around motorcycle handlebar grips. I don't want gloves that are too tight. Years ago I somehow chose a pair of gloves that were a Small and now when I used them, they feel too tight.

How do your gloves fit?

Also, with boots, how snugly do you fit your motorcycle shoes/boots?

For gloves you don't want to feel a lot of pressure at your finger tips, but you want the gloves to be a snug fit ( and as stated they will shrink/stretch )

For boots looks to see if they are a "euro' fit these tend to be on the narrower side if I am not mistaken. They should fit as well as a normal pair of boots or shoes, snug and comfortable. If there is a bike in house ask if you can sit on it to see how they feel in a riding position. Lastly some boots are not really meant for walking around all day they tend to have a very stiff soles for support on the peg, keep this in mind. also hit up Revzilla for some video breakdown and reviews.

Thanks for the advice. I tend to like gloves with a lot of synthetic materials. I have a pair with mostly synthetic and another with mostly leather. Like I said, when I don't feel any pressure at the finger tips, they tend to bunch up in the palm. I guess I'll try another pair.

I've had reasonable success shrinking leather gloves by dipping them in water and sun dry.

Bickle taught me this, manage to get about 1/4 inch of the fingers. Short fat little fingers.

The secret to boots is to try them on. Do they feel OK? Then walk around for awhile in the store.
Take the boots and socks off. Is there chaffing at the back of your foot. Too small.
If you don't think you can operate the gear shifter, they're too big.

My leather gloves were slightly too small for me, but after a few rides/hours they loosened up and fit perfectly.

With boots, make sure you wear whatever socks you normally ride with. I've had to replace a set before as I tried them on with dress socks, and they didn't fit well with tube socks when riding (since they were borderline too small when I first tried them).

I like gloves slightly too big rather than too small. I've had both. Also, had some that seemed to fit nicely, then caused a pressure point on my knuckles, they had a flat plastic knuckle protector. Don't forget that most of the time, they will be curled around your handlebars.

For boots I like them loose enough that I can move my toes around in them, but tight enough that they won't come off if I go down. I have big toes and a narrow heel, so they are hard to find. I usually take a slightly larger size, since it doesn't matter so much on the bike, as long as I can feel the shifter. If I'm walking a lot, I have a pair of leather BMW boots that go just above the ankle and are somewhat like running shoes, or I throw a pair of sneakers into my trunk.

Thanks for the advice. I tend to like gloves with a lot of synthetic materials. I have a pair with mostly synthetic and another with mostly leather. Like I said, when I don't feel any pressure at the finger tips, they tend to bunch up in the palm. I guess I'll try another pair.

Leather gloves will stretch a bit where as synthetic gloves won't (or as much). Try them on and make a fist, if you feel anything digging into your hand they're probably not for you. When I buy gloves they're on the small side where my finger tips are very close to the end but not to the point that they will have pressure on them when making a fist.

Boots fit like shoes. No pressure points and you can walk in them. I don't care if I can run a marathon with them because that's not what I bought them for. If you need a boot that can do double duty of walking and riding it may take longer to find the right boot.

I would not suggest ordering online especially if you don't know your sizes or have experience with a particular brand. Go try some stuff on and spend the few extra $$'s that it MIGHT cost for someone to show you around some gear.

with gloves every brand fits a bit different and i've found the same size in the same brand can fit different, I need to go to a store and try on a couple pair. With kevlar stitching they dont stretch much if your looking at hi tec gloves.
Boots should feel comfortable the moment you put them on, modern boots use a lot of synthetics and the old adage of 'working them in' doesnt seem to apply.
The quality stuff costs more but if your going to get several seasons out of it , it could amortize itself down.

Back
Top Bottom