New gear? Recommendations? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New gear? Recommendations?

Go to some local shops and look at / try on a bunch of stufff.

Speak to the staff there and explain what you want, and what you need and then my advice it to buy what fits you best, and buy the best you can afford.

Good luck.

I am a noob as well and have found decent deals at altimategear.com and daytonamotorsport.com. Both have storefronts in Toronto, and you can order online. The guy at Altimate Gear is good to deal with, and there are is a good looking woman's line.

油井緋色;2420349 said:
IMO, do this:

textile pants, textile jackets, race boots, race gloves

That will save you from all scenarios. As you get faster, you'll figure out the answers to what you're missing.

This...

Get something name brand to start with so you know you are getting real CE rated armor. And... Get something with CE rated armor in the shouldersm elbows, back etc.

My usual gear is:

Olympia Airglide jacket

Olympia Airglide pants

Alpinestar SMX 5 boots

Velocity VR Pro gauntlet gloves

Icon Alliance full face helmet

The more adaptable the gear is the more usability you will get out of it.

Some things I bought and did not get as much use out of are:

-Cruiser boots. Lacing them up was a pain and I worried about laces coming loose and getting caught in something. The SMX5 boots are easier to put on and provide a lot more protection. They are also perforated boots which are a lot nicer to wear in the heat.

-Riding jeans. I just found them hotter than I would like. Mesh pants work a lot better for me. I have thermal and waterproof layers I can remove. I have knee and hip armor, abrasion resistant textile in the right areas but they still vent enough air that they are comfy riding in the hottest days.

-Extra armor bits. I have one of the back protectors. Pain in the rump to wear it under my first crappy textile jacket. Ended up selling the first jacket and the armored vest. I also have elbow pads that I rarely use.

This leads me to my next point. Buying crappy gear does not save you money. Go to Two Wheel or somewhere else that has a good selection and try stuff on. Get quotes and check kijjiji out as well. You may find some of the stuff used.

Arai, Shoei, and Shuberth helmets are great but if all you can afford is a helmet then that is not helping you much. There are lots of good sub $300 helmets to start with.

If I were starting out now I would be very tempted to get a helmet with a drop down sunvisor. Commuting with an extra visor loses its lustre after awhile.

Get some decent stuff to start with and then branch out from there.

I am a noob as well and have found decent deals at altimategear.com and daytonamotorsport.com. Both have storefronts in Toronto, and you can order online. The guy at Altimate Gear is good to deal with, and there are is a good looking woman's line.
Seemed like a nice guy, but never managed to meet up with him. His hours are a little wonky.
Bought my boots at Daytona. Not bad for $100 ish

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Seemed like a nice guy, but never managed to meet up with him. His hours are a little wonky.
Bought my boots at Daytona. Not bad for $100 ish

I'm from the Barrie area and I've been to Altimate three times. You can't get there from da bridge?

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I'm from the Barrie area and I've been to Altimate three times. You can't get there from da bridge?

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk
I did. He said he was gonna be there. Waited half hour. Got him on the phone. He forgot about his son's soccer game. Not saying anything bad, you know I'm a dad too, just saying that I couldn't make it there. Wanted to try on some boots that were on their website. I find that if they don't have the double zipper, that they are a little difficult to get into. The Tourmasters were like that.

油井緋色;2420349 said:
IMO, do this:

textile pants, textile jackets, race boots, race gloves

That will save you from all scenarios. As you get faster, you'll figure out the answers to what you're missing.

This pretty much. When I started I went with a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and pants combo...full textile that can strip down to mesh, but also includes both a rain/wind layer (internal), and a thermal layer in the jacket. Probably not the highest quality compared to the high end stuff, but it has held up well in the elements, and pretty much has been a jacket that can do it all.

I wouldn't say race boots and gloves though...as those tend to be fairly clunky and expensive (granted, I'm thinking Held/Handroid and SMX-Plus/Sidi when you say that). A good, full leather full gauntlet glove from a name brand will do well, and work for the course. For boots, get at least a leather mid-height riding boot that covers your ankle (similar size to a hiking boot) with armour...Personally I went with the SMX-1 and love them.

That, plus a DOT approved full face that fits you well (remember a well fitting $100 helmet is better than an ill fitting $900 helmet, so long as both are DOT) should do you for the course and probably first few years or riding. Then expand out from there as budget and desire allows.

This is a great place for gloves:

http://www.jackets4bikes.com/c-503-motorcycle-gloves.aspx

They have a variety of different styles and they are affordable.

I've had a set since I started riding almost 10 years ago and they are still in great shape. Even after my recent down.

I find gloves at stores are waaaaaay too expensive.

Yeah, you're right. I found a pair I really liked on the Royal Distributing website and they were $76 haha. These are really cheap, I like it, I've never really liked spending (who does, right?) you get that throb in your heart when you pass your $20 bill to the cashier, thinking "I'll miss you" lol. But yeah I do want good quality items, within a reasonable price. I'm not about to pay $80 for a pair of gloves, especially considering Mac saying his jacket was $50, which is cheaper than those gloves, so you have to wonder. I just want good gear though, my life is important to me. (As much as my parents might disagree, thinking I want a motorcycle to kill myself lol)

If you have time this coming weekend drop into Pro 6, they're having a grand opening for the new location on June 18th and there will be an Arai rep there. They'll help you figure out your helmet size and head shape.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?197348-GRAND-OPENING-for-Pro-6-Cycle

Yeah, I wish, but I still can't drive by myself over there, and I doubt my parents would be willing to come with, especially with their car. It's also too far, will take me about an hour's drive depending on the traffic. And I don't have friends that can already drive so thats out too :'( I'd love to look, but it's too far out of the way for me. I will, however, go to the Royal Distributing place in guelph there, that's not too far, I don't mind buying stuff online, but as far as a helmet, I'm going in person, because I'll certainly need help finding my helmet fit. (Total newb here haha). I've watched alot of youtube and they all say what Mac says, that helmet fit is critical. Anyhow yeah, it'd be nice but I won't be able to make it.

Didn't read this whole thread but my High level recommendation is to buy used since right now you really don't know what you want or need, then after a year evaluate where you are and your experiences with the gear and figure out what you really need and go get it.

This does not apply to helmets, buy a good quality helmet - figure out what characteristics are important to you - Weight, noise resistent and most importantly shape and comfort, don't worry about brand as long as it is DOT and not Chinese crap.

Re Gear in OShawa is a good bet, far for you but it might be worth it.

After all these years I am still figuring out new things I need as my riding needs change.

Last edited:
lol...my riding needs haven't changed much in a few decades, but my walk-in is still half filled with just bike gear.

lol...my riding needs haven't changed much in a few decades, but my walk-in is still half filled with just bike gear.
If I did a garage sale with all the stuff I have accumulated I could probably buy another bike

I should show the missus this thread makes me seem ok. Only my second season back riding after a long time away, already up to 3 jackets, 3 pairs of gloves, Kevlar jeans, second pair of boots

Back
Top Bottom