New gear? Recommendations? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New gear? Recommendations?

Aeroflaire

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy reasonably priced riding gear. I would like to go in person to a place that sells it, but I have no clue where to start. I'd like something at least close, so guelph, milton, acton area? If there's any there, I'd be happy to know. and if not, online has a lot more to chose from and I'd be fine with that also. So recommendations for good sites/shops, would be nice.

Another thing, what do you guys recommend as a price range? Like, I want good gear, I'm not trying to get myself killed here, I want lots of protection. But, how high is too high? And what do I look for in a full head helmet? Thanks in advance.

Pretty broad question.

Gear for what??

Touring, posing, local rides, off road???

I buy lots off Kiji - new rider ?? what bike??

In Guelph:

Royal Distributing - the best buy of motorcycle gear
925 Woodlawn Rd W, Guelph, ON N1K 1B7

Two Wheel Motorcycles
5624 Hwy #6 North, Guelph

Pretty broad question.

Gear for what??

Touring, posing, local rides, off road???

I buy lots off Kiji - new rider ?? what bike??
My bad, Didn't realise all those factors had so much to do with it. No, I'm a newbie, so I'm looking for gear as if I'm going to crash on purpose (not that I'm trying to, but that's my mindset) I'll most likely be getting a kawasaki ninja 250 since that particular series of bike is basically my dream bike, and it's nice to start with the same sort of habitat and get used to it. I'm going to be using it as a go-to vehicle, for wherever I have to go, and sometimes for entertainment, just joyriding around. So street bike.

In Guelph:

Royal Distributing - the best buy of motorcycle gear
925 Woodlawn Rd W, Guelph, ON N1K 1B7

Two Wheel Motorcycles
5624 Hwy #6 North, Guelph
Oh nice, this is why I asked, because these didn't show up on google when I typed "motorcylce gear near me" haha

The type of riding like MacDoc asked is pretty cirtical. For instance if I'm booting around town my go to is leather or textile jacket, kevlar jeans, low cut boots, light gloves. If I'm commuting to work or on an extended journey I have a textile suit that is water proof and some water proof gloves with full height boots. If I'm going weekend warrior to hit the twistys then its the 1 piece suit with race gauntlet gloves and race boots. I would start with a decent jacket, basic gloves, kevlar jeans or light over pants and some boots (ankle protection is key). Slowly you will accumulate gear based on your riding but if you are just starting out I'm willing to bet it will be in fair weather for the most part.

Price range will be what you can afford. My opinion is that I would rather be fully protected with cheap gear than the most expensive gear but less of it. Royal is a good place to start to try things on and get an idea of what fits, and what you like. I have found price wise that each piece will be around the $100-$200 mark for something decent. I have bought off kijiji also with good luck but you gotta know what your looking for, what fits, and what it costs new so you don't get hosed.

A full face helmet should be snug and comfortable, features will vary but the most critical thing is fit...you can have a 2k hemet but if it doesn't fit your head shape then it will do no good.

As a friend told me and I quickly found out, your first year or two will be the most expensive.

Last edited:
The type of riding like MacDoc asked is pretty cirtical. For instance if I'm booting around town my go to is leather or textile jacket, kevlar jeans, low cut boots, light gloves. If I'm commuting to work or on an extended journey I have a textile suit that is water proof and some water proof gloves with full height boots. If I'm going weekend warrior to hit the twistys then its the 1 piece suit with race gauntlet gloves and race boots. I would start with a decent jacket, basic gloves, kevlar jeans or light over pants and some boots (ankle protection is key). Slowly you will accumulate gear based on your riding but if you are just starting out I'm willing to bet it will be in fair weather for the most part.
That will probably be true, the part about the fair weather. I'm looking through the catalogue on the royal distributing website now and I see alot of factors, it's kind of overwhelming. I don't mind paying alot, especially if it makes the difference between being able to ride again and dead (or brain damaged or sentenced to a wheelchair for life) but I want to be paying for what I need, and not what I don't.
For example, I really like these Ballistic gloves for $76 dollars and they seem protecting enough but right now, honestly I am totally new to all of this so I wouldn't know what to get.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/1148973...6294577325443019138&oid=114897356024741825656

That will probably be true, the part about the fair weather. I'm looking through the catalogue on the royal distributing website now and I see alot of factors, it's kind of overwhelming. I don't mind paying alot, especially if it makes the difference between being able to ride again and dead (or brain damaged or sentenced to a wheelchair for life) but I want to be paying for what I need, and not what I don't.
For example, I really like these Ballistic gloves for $76 dollars and they seem protecting enough but right now, honestly I am totally new to all of this so I wouldn't know what to get.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/1148973...6294577325443019138&oid=114897356024741825656

Well first off, those gloves are waterproof, definitely not something you want as your daily riding glove. They will be very warm, especially in the summer. Rain gear is something you will want, and is some cases means extra gear. I have my daily riding gloves then I have my foul weather gloves. You can buy rain gear that you throw over top of your regular riding gear, I did this for years and it works, though now I prefer gore-tex but that will cost you an arm and a leg and I would really suggest learning what type of riding you want to do. Your ideas will most likely change in time once you get out there.

I would really suggest learning what type of riding you want to do. Your ideas will most likely change in time once you get out there.

I second this. Start with some nice general summer use gear since we are starting to heat up...I hope. And from there you will start to get an idea of what you need and want. The last thing you want to go is spend $$$ on stuff that you never end up using or don't like using.

IMO, do this:

textile pants, textile jackets, race boots, race gloves

That will save you from all scenarios. As you get faster, you'll figure out the answers to what you're missing.

if you are willing to travel there is quite a lot of Gear at ReGear in Oshawa - especially a variety of jackets.

For your description ....I'd get a mesh jacket...My Joe Rocket is 6 years old and still fine and protected me a few times on off pavement spills....cost me $50.

They have some decent new summer gloves over there for $30 decently armored mesh.

They do have new helmets....I tend not to spend a lot on helmets $250 is my limit and often less. I don't like full face but you might want it. ReGear maybe has some you can try on for size. I find Bell and AFX good value.

Kiji is loaded with good used gear but it's a bunch of running around.

Boots - get or use something with ankle protection. Again Regear has a variety but you might already own something.

I'd strongly recommend mesh cuz it will keep you cool and you can always add a waterproof layer.

If you are average size there is a ton of gear available both here and Kiji.

Here is a complete set

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...ts/1172769267?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

lots more out there
http://www.kijiji.ca/b-motorcycles/ontario/motorcycle-jacket/k0c30l9004

there is even some free stuff....lots of us have way too much gear lying around

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...ze/1172663288?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Some quality stuff too...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...rs/1172622811?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Very versatile 3 season jacket. It's fun if you have time.

This is really great guys, I appreciate all the help I've gotten from you and it certainly clears a lot of things up (considering how overwhelming it can be to look through a catalogue of gear and go; "okay, so what the f*** am I looking for here?)
Also, to MacDoc here, $50? That sounds really cheap which is surprising to me, seeing how it's lasted you six years and protected you that well. Hell, that's cheaper than most of those gloves I saw in the catalogue haha. I'm always wary when it comes to price, considering for the most part you get what you pay for, with exceptions. Especially for something as important as my life and health. (If I'm dead I can't enjoy it he freedom of riding anymore can I? Haha) But I will certainly look into mesh jackets, thanks for the tip :)

Stick with brand name and don't be afraid to ask. Many riders spend hundreds if not thousands and than abandon the sport....it's all out there for peanuts.

considering for the most part you get what you pay for,

You don't generally.

AF - 60% of riders will not go down on pavement...it's not inevitable and yeah decent gear is a good idea but unless you are track riding you don't need to go overboard.

Even if you have a decent leather jacket or jean jacket already you can get an armored shirt and have better protection than many mcycle jackets.

Impact_Rig_SE_Black_detail.jpg

Last edited:
For helmets you need to go in and try them on to see which brand is the same shape as your head. Full face is best. I've managed to pick up a SNELL helmet for as little as $80.

Edit: Since you're brand new, and taking the course, you might want to start with stuff that can be worn off the bike as well, until you decide whether it's for you or not.
e.g. Denim jacket, jeans, flat leather boots, gloves with leather palms, and a decent but inexpensive full face helmet.
You may even be able to borrow some or find some used.
Afterwards, you can start accumulating the overflow of gear that some of us have.

Last edited:
I have some great boots for sale.
What shoe size are you?
OP is a she fyi.

OP without asking your physical size, there is a bunch of ladies gear and smaller men's gear being sold in our classifieds here.
Like @MacDoc said, $50 is not unheard of. I bought a $80 JR leather jacket off another member here. This will be my 3rd season with it.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

I don't have an overflow...I have just enough. Only half my walk-in is full of leather.
Yeah, you'll probably see me on hoarders soon. I have at least five of everything, and 9 or 10 jackets. I gave away a women's small that my kids had outgrown years ago, and I don't have a onesie, so maybe there's still hope.

If your taking the course in the heat, ventilation is a good idea i.e. Mesh. Not as good for highway if you go down, I tend to use it for lower speed summer travel.

Basics:
1. Decent helmet
2. Decent gloves
3. Textile or leather jacket. Ideally with zipper/vents you can open.
*Leather comes mostly in black while with textiles you typically get more colors
** A white/graphic helmet and/or a white jacket will do wonders for your visibility to other drivers
*** black helmet and black leather jacket gets hot in sun/slow traffic
4. Basic motorcyle boots - above the ankle, something usable off the bike
5. Jeans maybe ok for you at the start

Helmets you may want to buy locally so you can try a few different for fit

I shop online with canadamotorcycle.ca. If you order something that doesn't fit, it just costs shipping ($7 or so) to return (as long as it's new condition, you haven't ridden around it it or scuffed it up)

Then as you progress in your motorcycling experience:
- tinted visor
- backpack/tankbag luggage
- rain suit
- some sort of motorcycling pants - kevlar lined jeans, textile overpants, leather pants
- better gloves, maybe waterproof
- better boots, taller, maybe waterproof
- mesh textile jacket for hot weather
- heated vest, gloves, maybe heated grips on the bike
- new bike, so you have to get different color scheme helmet, jacket - LoL

Here are some examples to help ypur budget planning:
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/hjc-cl-16-voltage-helmet.html
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/icon-overlord-womens-jacket.html
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/z1r-270-womens-gloves.html
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/tcx-x-rap-womens-waterproof-shoes.html
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/joe-rocket-diva-womens-pants.html

***Womens clothing may be more difficult/variable to fit vs mens, so it may be another consideration to shop local in-person. Royal Distributing, GP Bikes, M/c dealers, Daytona motorsports (steeles/keele)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom