New Rider :) | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider :)

Aeroflaire

Hi guys. I've been obsessing over motorbikes for some time now. And I'm finally saving up enough money for my plans (Buy gear, take the M1 test, take an approved course, and get myself a motorcycle, along with [ugh] insurance)
Worried about the insurance bit, been told for someone my age, it can be expensive. And I don't doubt that at all.

With all that aside, hi. My name is Yvonne. I've always used Aeroflaire as my gaming, and forum names, the reason is personal, but I did come up with it all myself so I didn't have to use numbers at the end of my name haha. Either way, you can call me Aero. I'm 17, and though my parents don't appreciate the idea, I've been pushing to get a bike, and I'm sure as hell going to do it. Yeah, rebellious teenagers, typical, right? It's not looking cool that is tying me in here (although, you have to admit, there's something about riders that just pulls you in, maybe mysteriousness (helmet deal)) My reason is freedom. Kindof a stretch for freedom, sure. But ever since I was about 12, something about motorbikes just appealed to me, and I've wanted one ever since. I'm not trying to kill myself, as my parents think, I'm going to be as safe as I can be. And maybe I am willing to risk a bit more than other people.

And if you survived that verbal diarrhea, good job, because I can be known to go on and on about things that don't need to be explained in such detail. Anyway. This is an introduction, I swear. haha Nice to meet you all!

Hi guys. I've been obsessing over motorbikes for some time now. And I'm finally saving up enough money for my plans (Buy gear, take the M1 test, take an approved course, and get myself a motorcycle, along with [ugh] insurance)
Worried about the insurance bit, been told for someone my age, it can be expensive. And I don't doubt that at all.

With all that aside, hi. My name is Yvonne. I've always used Aeroflaire as my gaming, and forum names, the reason is personal, but I did come up with it all myself so I didn't have to use numbers at the end of my name haha. Either way, you can call me Aero. I'm 17, and though my parents don't appreciate the idea, I've been pushing to get a bike, and I'm sure as hell going to do it. Yeah, rebellious teenagers, typical, right? It's not looking cool that is tying me in here (although, you have to admit, there's something about riders that just pulls you in, maybe mysteriousness (helmet deal)) My reason is freedom. Kindof a stretch for freedom, sure. But ever since I was about 12, something about motorbikes just appealed to me, and I've wanted one ever since. I'm not trying to kill myself, as my parents think, I'm going to be as safe as I can be. And maybe I am willing to risk a bit more than other people.

And if you survived that verbal diarrhea, good job, because I can be known to go on and on about things that don't need to be explained in such detail. Anyway. This is an introduction, I swear. haha Nice to meet you all!

Welcome.

Insurance will be expensive for someone your age. I'd recommend talking to an insurance agent (perhaps the one your family uses as a start) before doing anything else to get an idea. Even for a small bike you may be looking at several thousand dollars a year. For some people with limited funds, the up-front cost of gear, a bike and the training course taps them out before they even get to the insurance part.

Not all young people are in dire financial straights (in some cases, parents will help, for example) but just in case, work out your budget ahead of time.

You can certainly do your M1, get your gear and enroll in an M1X course to get to your M2 license stage, even if you don't get a bike right away. The M2 is good for 5 years during which time insurance premiums will fall somewhat simply due to the passage of calendar time.

Welcome. Post up some of the bikes you're thinking about and the membership here can help lead you down that road.

Just make sure to not make the cardinal sin of motorcycles - buying one before knowing how much insurance is going to cost for it. That road is paved with tears and heartbreak, with lots of resale "I'm taking a loss" motorcycles parked on the shoulder. ;)

But yes, for a 17 year old rider it's going to be a significant cost, sorry to have to say.

17 means $$$
Once you have your M2 then start to shop around, living in Halton Hills will help a bit also having a G license will aid you Take every course you can take as well ( just to gain riding time and skills )
Don't know what type of bikes you are into, but start small displacement and/or older if possible. Remember it's your first bike not your ONLY bike.

Be ready to spend many times what you pay for a bike for insurance.

But you sound like you know most of this already. Welcome to GTAM !!

Well my 17 year old isn't getting a bike till he can pay for insurance. When that happens, I might just buy the bike for him...unless he's past 20. :)

Welcome.

Insurance will be expensive for someone your age. I'd recommend talking to an insurance agent (perhaps the one your family uses as a start) before doing anything else to get an idea. Even for a small bike you may be looking at several thousand dollars a year. For some people with limited funds, the up-front cost of gear, a bike and the training course taps them out before they even get to the insurance part.

Not all young people are in dire financial straights (in some cases, parents will help, for example) but just in case, work out your budget ahead of time.

You can certainly do your M1, get your gear and enroll in an M1X course to get to your M2 license stage, even if you don't get a bike right away. The M2 is good for 5 years during which time insurance premiums will fall somewhat simply due to the passage of calendar time.
Yeah that was my initial thought. Get all the gear, my m1 and do the course so I can get to the m2 stage and then wait. When the insurance lowers acceptably I'll of course get myself a bike, full m licence and hopefully good to go.

17 means $$$
Once you have your M2 then start to shop around, living in Halton Hills will help a bit also having a G license will aid you Take every course you can take as well ( just to gain riding time and skills )
Don't know what type of bikes you are into, but start small displacement and/or older if possible. Remember it's your first bike not your ONLY bike.

Be ready to spend many times what you pay for a bike for insurance.

But you sound like you know most of this already. Welcome to GTAM !!
Yeah I've done my research. I have my G1 already and am saving up already for the estimated cost of everything I need for my m1 and later (basically I'm thinking at least $1000 for gear, but to be safe I'm upping that to 2k. Add another thousand for my licence and the course I'm planning to take (I know I'll have some leftover but that's the point, same with the gear) and I'm thinking at least 5k for the bike. I saw a couple for less but I'm being on the safe side here. And any leftover will automatically go to be saved for insurance. Which will be bought after I get my m2. I'm not going to start getting any of this until I have my G2 so I can drive myself (parents aren't exactly head over heels for the idea of me on a "coffin on two wheels". Understandable. I've seen and heard all there is of the bad side of biking but to be quite honest I'm not trying to kill myself( I just love the idea of riding. Every rider I see while driving with my mom makes me smile and it basically brightens up my day. Obviously there are pros to the cons of biking or people wouldn't be doing it. That's just my opinion on though

Welcome, and IMO you can get started riding for less than you think. A used 250 or 300 can run around $2500(3000 with a safety and tires, pads, etc), new jacket's at cycleworld $100, boots from $100, helmet $150, gloves $50, pants I'm not sure. M1-Exit course $450, basic tools and consumables (chain lube, cleaning stuff, tire gauge/compresser, plug kit, etc) $100.

If you go for a used bike, under $5000 all in is perfectly reasonable. Great resale on those old starter bikes too! Are you looking to start small like 125cc, or jump right into something like a 500cc?

Last edited:
Yeah I've done my research. I have my G1 already and am saving up already for the estimated cost of everything I need for my m1 and later (basically I'm thinking at least $1000 for gear, but to be safe I'm upping that to 2k. Add another thousand for my licence and the course I'm planning to take (I know I'll have some leftover but that's the point, same with the gear) and I'm thinking at least 5k for the bike. I saw a couple for less but I'm being on the safe side here. And any leftover will automatically go to be saved for insurance. Which will be bought after I get my m2. I'm not going to start getting any of this until I have my G2 so I can drive myself (parents aren't exactly head over heels for the idea of me on a "coffin on two wheels". Understandable. I've seen and heard all there is of the bad side of biking but to be quite honest I'm not trying to kill myself( I just love the idea of riding. Every rider I see while driving with my mom makes me smile and it basically brightens up my day. Obviously there are pros to the cons of biking or people wouldn't be doing it. That's just my opinion on though

If you are planning on getting gear just for the courses, gor for inexpensive options. This will save you some upfront money that can be built on for the gear you want to ride in on a daily basis. many people change their gear to suit a number of options. Riding style, fit, comfort, colours etc. Don't over plan, look for where you can save some money now ( like gear ) and get as much rising time as possible, if you can arrange some 1 on 1 lessons with a instructor it may be worth the extra cost. When I did my M1 exit I booked some 1 on 1 time during the week as my schedule was insane, it did cost quite a bit more but I had 20+ hours on a bike and a instructor to ask questions to etc. The bike time is what did it for me also we had a blast and covered much more than we would have in a group setting.

Just my 2 cents

(basically I'm thinking at least $1000 for gear, but to be safe I'm upping that to 2k.

Buy a new helmet, but don't buy the $1000 one either. As for the rest of your gear consider buying used - Kijiji is a good resource and there are a few consignment shops around like Re-Gear in Oshawa...you should be able to get outfitted for the $500 range easily, IMHO. 2K is going to buy you nice gear and would be easy to spend, sure, but you're going overkill for a beginner IMHO.

Add another thousand for my licence and the course I'm planning to take

M1 is $40 or something like that and the motorcycle foundations course which includes your M1 exit runs about $500, so you don't need $1000 there either.

and I'm thinking at least 5k for the bike.

Not sure what you're planning on buying yet, but as has also been mentioned there are FAR cheaper bikes out there unless you really want to buy new. Used 250's can be had for the mid $2K range all day long, and IMHO given your age and the fact you're a beginner I think you'll quickly find that the 250cc range is going to be about the limit from an insurance affordability scale.

The several other thousand dollars you can save in just the above can go towards your insurance.

Buy inexpensive stuff that you can use for the course. Once you pass, and decide its for you, check out insurance first. Then worry about better gear and a bike. Try on different brands of helmets and find which fit your head the best. I manage to snag an $80 Snell helmet, when I started. A pair of $20 leather gloves, $30 boots, jean jacket, jeans, water bottle, prescription glasses, and rain gear completed my ensemble for the course.

I was just about to say the same thing as @Baggsy
I grabbed a cheap lid (I actually wore a bucket) jean jacket, jeans, work boots and Home Depot leather gloves.
Do the course. Then worry about the other gear. Some opinions will differ, but here's my advice:
Buy a new helmet. Buy everything else used (except boots, if you have the heeby jeebys about that).
I bought a jacket, the next year I realized I wanted something different. I've bought about 7 or 8 pairs of gloves, and still haven't found ones I've liked. Leather chaps, and then overpants....you get the idea. If I had bought it all new I'd be broke. And I'm still experimenting with what I like.
I wish I had started riding at your age, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders by your post.
Ride safe and welcome to the forum!

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Agree with the other old guys. New or almost new(from a trustworthy source) helmet that fits properly that isn't too expensive, say around $200. The rest get used gear that fits properly. Don't worry about colour, style etc. Just like the bike, it will only be your first. If you are into it enough, you end up with a closet full of gear to match any occasion/season.

The several other thousand dollars you can save in just the above can go towards your insurance.

Or forget "road wars", and spend your money on track days / racing schools.

I.e. keep it a weekend recreational sport, far away from car drivers that "didn't see you"

Icon alliance, if it'll fit your head, is a fairly decent helmet around the $200 range.

As someone who started riding at 18. Get a really small CC bike. I started on a 500, 3600 was the first year of insurance cost. 3100 for the 2nd. And it just kept going down and down. I'd assume a 125/250/300 would cost less. Maybe not a 125 if you plan to take the 400 series highways.

It looks like you are approaching this from a good angle...you just have your age and lack of experience/years insured against you. Courses typically run sub $500, and for around $1000 you can get pretty much all the gear you should wear (helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots, etc). Personally I'm a fan of GP Bikes (and typically they'll give you 20% off MSRP if you are buying full gear and spending over $1000...if you ask), but ReGear is a great option as well if you are ok with lightly-used equipment (and a new helmet).

As for bikes, start small, as you'll learn more and the age thing will sting a bit less when it comes to insurance. You could go as small as a 125 if all you want to do is commute locally, but a 250 or 300 would work well as a commuter with light highway use (just don't expect much acceleration above 100-120km/h). Expect to pay upwards of $2000-5000/year, but hopefully that drops quickly as you prove you are not a risk to them, by not getting in accidents and not getting tickets.

If you do plan to sit on things and wait for the costs to drop...keep in mind although you can (and should) do the course to get your M2 and get to use their bikes..for the M2 -> M you must provide your own bike, no matter if you go through another course or go to the MTO. If memory serves, you have 5 years before the M2 expires and you have to start over again with the M1.

Just make sure to not make the cardinal sin of motorcycles - buying one before knowing how much insurance is going to cost for it. That road is paved with tears and heartbreak, with lots of resale "I'm taking a loss" motorcycles parked on the shoulder. ;)

The best are when they finance a 600 SS with nothing down...find out the insurance, then try to sell it for MSRP + taxes + financing losses...I mean, who doesn't want to buy a used bike for $2000-3000 over what they can get in a dealership...new... lol

Welcome, and IMO you can get started riding for less than you think. A used 250 or 300 can run around $2500(3000 with a safety and tires, pads, etc), new jacket's at cycleworld $100, boots from $100, helmet $150, gloves $50, pants I'm not sure. M1-Exit course $450, basic tools and consumables (chain lube, cleaning stuff, tire gauge/compresser, plug kit, etc) $100.

If you go for a used bike, under $5000 all in is perfectly reasonable. Great resale on those old starter bikes too! Are you looking to start small like 125cc, or jump right into something like a 500cc?

I'm thinking of starting with a 250. I've heard the warnings of starting with powerful bikes, and I heed them. May not be as bad as people are making it out to be, but my first bike won't be my last, as with many riders. My idea, is to get the kawasaki ninja 250, since the ninja is literally one of my favorite bikes ever (so far haha) and they have quite a bit of progressions upwards after that, including the ZXR (Which is also beautiful, I may add) But I'd like to start on a kawasaki to get familiar with the bike, as I'm almost positive I will be getting the higher power ones later on.

If you are planning on getting gear just for the courses, gor for inexpensive options. This will save you some upfront money that can be built on for the gear you want to ride in on a daily basis. many people change their gear to suit a number of options. Riding style, fit, comfort, colours etc. Don't over plan, look for where you can save some money now ( like gear ) and get as much rising time as possible, if you can arrange some 1 on 1 lessons with a instructor it may be worth the extra cost. When I did my M1 exit I booked some 1 on 1 time during the week as my schedule was insane, it did cost quite a bit more but I had 20+ hours on a bike and a instructor to ask questions to etc. The bike time is what did it for me also we had a blast and covered much more than we would have in a group setting.

Just my 2 cents
I actually do like that idea. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom