I need some help with valuing a bike... | GTAMotorcycle.com

I need some help with valuing a bike...

Squadz

Site Supporter
I really need some help.

My father passed away in February, and I've been trying to sell his bike since that time. I haven't had a single hit. I've posted on AutoTrader, and Kijiji, and update it almost every week.

I need to know if I'm doing something wrong, if the price is too high, etc. For obvious reasons, my mom and I are trying to sell it as quickly as possible.

Here's the ad: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1171580387

Can I get some advice? In case someone thinks I'm trying to advertise, please realize I'm not - I'm just out of ideas, and need some help. I never expected it would take this many months to sell a bike, let alone a Harley Davidson.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Maybe give it a break for a week of two, take some more pics from a different Angle and relist advert. Sometimes it's just bad timing with sellers and buyers. Don't allow yourself to be settled for low ball offers either.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Looking at ~12 2005-2007 Fat Boys on Autotrader your pricing looks competitive (lower than most, in fact.)

Good luck.

Looks reasonable to me, try purchasing the kijiji "top ad" thing, it keeps it at the top of the ads section for a few days for like $5 or something like that. I did that once and it worked for me.

Maybe give it a break for a week of two, take some more pics from a different Angle and relist advert. Sometimes it's just bad timing with sellers and buyers. Don't allow yourself to be settled for low ball offers either.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Yes, a better photo will help. Outside, with no distractions in background.

For example - in your current kijiji photo, the black jacket hanging on the wall behind detracts from the bike.

Good advices so far. With this type of product it's all about presentation. Only dreamers and schemers are looking for a diamond in the rough, and a price to match. Everybody else needs their buying power massaged.

As mentioned elsewhere, you need better pictures. There's a ton of Harley's for sale and you need your ad to stand out a bit more. Take separate pics of the bike outside and pics of the major extras like the stand. Sitting in the dingy garage up on the stand it looks a bit forlorn.

It may take a while to sell, and don't be surprised if you get some resistance to the price. While 28k isn't high mileage by any means it is likely more than a lot of potential buyers would consider. I'm sure somebody will buy it.

As mentioned elsewhere, you need better pictures. There's a ton of Harley's for sale and you need your ad to stand out a bit more. Take separate pics of the bike outside and pics of the major extras like the stand. Sitting in the dingy garage up on the stand it looks a bit forlorn.

It may take a while to sell, and don't be surprised if you get some resistance to the price. While 28k isn't high mileage by any means it is likely more than a lot of potential buyers would consider. I'm sure somebody will buy it.

Bingo! Dingy and forlorn doesn't immediately conjure products of this magnitude but there you have it. Well done. Only 67 posts? Welcome aboard son.

For $11k I'd be looking for better photos. Is the bike up on a stand because it requires repairs? If it has not been ridden for a year, does this mean that it cannot start? Are the carbs gummed up? There are 3 photos: bike $11k, backrest $80, windshield $80. If you want people to take the time to see the bike, add more photos of the specifics of the bike. The photos do not show the condition of the bike. They look like smartphone photos taken quickly, more on a whim than to sell the bike. All three photos are also blurry, especially the windshield one.

The market has said that your ad does not even warrant a chance contact. You'll need to put more effort into selling the bike.

1. The bike is 10 years old but still looks to be in decent shape. The price you are asking is reasonable.
2. Your photos show the bike on a lift. What' wrong with it? This is probably the question those looking at your ad are asking.
3. Great photo of the garage ceiling.
4. Arrange all the extras in a nice display and do a separate photo of them.

If there's nothing wrong with the Harley, roll it out into the driveway and take pictures in the sunshine. Maybe wash it and put a coat of wax on it first.
Take a photo of it from every angle including a close up of the odometer to show you aren't lying about the mileage.
Refer to some other ads to see how it's done.

Last edited:
The purple color may be the difficulty...

yup thats what i was thinking too.

the price for the year and the mileage seem to be very well priced, hell if this was last year or maybe next year ide be going to look at it(this year is house reno...2 bathrooms)....but ide honestly be painting that bike or looking for some other tins and selling those ones.

You can't compare a 2006 with a 2007, it is a VERY different animal. The 2007s and newer are MILES ahead of the earlier bikes. The 2007s drove the price of earlier bikes down the toilet.

I can get a 2007 for $11,000 so I think no one in their right mind would take a 2006 for the same monies as a 2007.
If you're trying to sell a bike it is a good idea to know something about the market... and the bike.

Back
Top Bottom