Anyone having problems selling a bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone having problems selling a bike?

ontheroad

Hey all. Is anyone else having issues selling a bike? I've had my Speed Triple listed for over a month now without a single bite. It's a mint 2011 special edition and is priced fairly compared to other listings. I've never had this kind of issue selling a machine before. Any feedback from those with similar current experience is appreciated.

Insurance has skyrocketed on many sport bikes this year. That's put a spoil on some of the sales imo

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Not sure the economy is doing so well for leisure vehicles. I spoke to the sales people at one dealership and it was slow. Be patient, emphasize the extras, price it competitively and it should move. Or, take advantage of slower dealer sales and see if they will give you a decent trade in value.

I spoke with a guy in the Windsor area with a similar machine and kms. He sold for about $1500 under his asking price which I felt was very low. His sell price was so low it was almost in line with what I've been quoted in trade at a local dealership. I'm not desperate to sell so I'll give it some more time. I was just hoping to get into a touring bike to do some trips with the wife this year. Maybe the trade-in will be the best option given the current circumstances.

is priced fairly compared to other listings

The question to ask yourself is if those other listings you're comparing against are also realistic.

If they are also very high, then pricing yourself accordingly is just adding yourself to the list.

If you really want/need to move it, drop the price - that always works assuming the bike is in demand, but the drastic increases on sportbikes this year has not only caused a lot of them to flood the market, but also depressed prices as a direct result.

As was mentioned, using it as a trade in may be your best bet in the end as the value they give you for trade (you mentioned $7K?) directly 100% offsets the taxes payable on the new bike.

I honestly think I would just trade in my Honda if/when I get a new/used bike (from a dealer) When I sold my last bike I was very lucky to find a motivated buyer, I think those days are gone. I was always told "it's not what you're willing to sell it for, it's what they're willing to pay"

Plus I hate tire kickers and lowball D-Bags :)

The question to ask yourself is if those other listings you're comparing against are also realistic.

If they are also very high, then pricing yourself accordingly is just adding yourself to the list.

If you really want/need to move it, drop the price - that always works assuming the bike is in demand, but the drastic increases on sportbikes this year has not only caused a lot of them to flood the market, but also depressed prices as a direct result.

As was mentioned, using it as a trade in may be your best bet in the end as the value they give you for trade (you mentioned $7K?) directly 100% offsets the taxes payable on the new bike.
His particular bike should actually be going up in demand, as it's a naked and therefore not not subjected to the SS insurance tariff.
Op be patient, if you have priced it fairly, and it's been taken care of, it'll sell. Unless it has more than 1000km. In the GTA that's high mileage and the kiss of death.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Have had my Speedy up on and off since March. Lotsa tire kicking emails, and one person who just wanted to see a Triumph but was strongly leaning towards another brand. Like you I'm in no rush, nor do I care if it sells. Anyway, I went through the same with my Buell last year. Much smaller market for a Buell, but it eventually sold for exactly what I expected it to sell for and the buyer was quite happy. If you can wait, someone who wants that bike (and yours IS the speedy to have) will come along.. Good luck with your sale :thumbright:

Hey all. Is anyone else having issues selling a bike? I've had my Speed Triple listed for over a month now without a single bite. It's a mint 2011 special edition and is priced fairly compared to other listings. I've never had this kind of issue selling a machine before. Any feedback from those with similar current experience is appreciated.

Yup, been trying for a bit - get a bunch of kids offering 40% of my asking often though.

"Bro, how about i give you 3k....CASH!"

Wtf else was i going to accept?

FWIW yours is the bike i was looking to get onto :/ (not YOURS per se, just a triple)

It's tough. I sold my ninja 300 but it took awhile. It was priced competitively against other bikes like it but there were periods of alot of initial bite but no later response, people just low balling, people interested but bailing for one reason or another. My favourite, some guy effectively low balling, raising his offer every time I say no or lower my price a bit; goes away for a few days and comes back with the same original lowball amount. But I sold it eventually and for asking price.

Just keep on, keeping on. You'll find a buyer who understands what you have. You can lower the price a bit if you want it gone sooner but sometimes price is not the issue (people just can't make decisions).

I have my zx6r listed for over a month now. Not even a single genuine offer. I guess I will be trading her in.

Like others have said too, if trading in remember you also save the tax amount on the newer bike, which does offset things a little. When I moved on from my CBR250RA, the trade in plus tax savings on the new bike put it within about $250-500 of what I could have sold for privately, as it also would have needed a safety and new tires (front and rear).

End of the day, the fact I didn't need to deal with lowballers and tire kickers, and the fact I only have physical room for 1 bike, meant the bit less was worth losing to me.

5 grand for a 5+ year old bike is about my limit.

In 2012 I could have bought that bike (if avail I know) new for about 11g. Every year it depreciates (in my eyes) about a grand. The 2017s are coming out.

The formula has worked for me over the years, please don't be insulted.

Bikes bottom out about the 2g mark if they are in great shape and certified.

Just my thoughts

5 grand for a 5+ year old bike is about my limit.

In 2012 I could have bought that bike (if avail I know) new for about 11g. Every year it depreciates (in my eyes) about a grand. The 2017s are coming out.

The formula has worked for me over the years, please don't be insulted.

Bikes bottom out about the 2g mark if they are in great shape and certified.

Just my thoughts

No way you get it cheaper than 13k once you factor taxes PDI etc. So at 1k per year depreciation, it should be worth 8k; He's damn close to that

No way you get it cheaper than 13k once you factor taxes PDI etc. So at 1k per year depreciation, it should be worth 8k; He's damn close to that
As meme posted, I also base used values off of MSRP. PDI and taxes do not factor into the calculation. PDI is the penalty for buying new, and I have to pay my own taxes when I register the bike so why should I help you recoup your taxes too?

My formula is to start with MSRP and deduct 20% depreciation for year 1, and 10% every following year.

Last edited:
As meme posted, I also base used values off of MSRP. PDI and taxes do not factor into the calculation. PDI is the penalty for buying new, and I have to pay my own taxes when I register the bike so why should I help you recoup your taxes too?

My formula is to start with MSRP and deduct 20% depreciation for year 1, and 10% every following year.

So, by that math you think it's worth < $6k; Over $1000 less than what the dealer is willing to give on trade; guess there's some truth to the everybody wants something for nothing cliche

So, by that math you think it's worth < $6k; Over $1000 less than what the dealer is willing to give on trade; guess there's some truth to the everybody wants something for nothing cliche
Pretty sure MSRP was more than 11g's in 2011. My point was that PDI and taxes are on the purchaser, so don't expect to recoup those costs.

Back
Top Bottom