Snake oil and carb cleaning help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snake oil and carb cleaning help

smc

So a few weeks ago one of my pistons started knocking. Now my bike is an old cheap dinosaur and if it only survives till November I'll be happy, so rebuilding the engine is probably out. Anyway to combat the knock and being a retard I put in some of this octane booster:

https://gumout.com/fuel-additives/octane-booster/

It didn't really do anything, except lately I've noticed that my bike runs like a big turd. So I pulled the carbs to find this:

attachment.php

That's the bottom of one float bowl. A month ago it was immaculate. While the bowl is the worst, everything even the fuel line has some orange residue on/in it.

It does rub off, but I need something that will clean the spots I can't reach. I have some Gumout Carb+Choke cleaner, but it's the spray into air intake type, similar I suppose to Seafoam. Will it work just spraying it through the jets? There doesn't seem to be many carb cleaning products on our shelves.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20160609_195539.jpg
    IMG_20160609_195539.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 156
If you do a Pine Sol soak, make sure to rinse thoroughly with water then pat dry with shop rags to avoid flash rust.

Simple Green is said to be better, i.e. no risk of flash rust. Never tried it.

I've used Coke before if you just want to soak the entire carb in a bucket overnight. Same deal as the Pinesol, but even cheaper and easier to dispose. Rinse well, and do a final flush with carb cleaner.

If you can take the bowles apart (which you can) why don't use some carb cleaner and a toothbrush ? if carb cleaner is not getting it out - you can prob leave it alone and it won't mess withanything .

How are the needles , do the floats work well ? how is the float seal?

If you can take the bowles apart (which you can) why don't use some carb cleaner and a toothbrush ?

The orange gunk is everywhere, even in the fuel lines. It would be much easier to do a full dip.

I bought 6L of original Pine Sol and some distilled water. Will do a test dip on the float parts tonight, if it works I'll put the rest of the carb in tomorrow minus any plastics.

FLSTC - Nice try, but I'm not that retarded. Plus I don't own any pipe scissors.

Did 12 hours in 50:50 pine sol and distilled water for the float bowls and jets. It worked well as a degreaser, the bowls are much shinier then the rest of the carb assembly, the actual grime I had to scrub out with a toothbrush. Luckily the gaskets survived, well so far.

Can't go out right now, will see how it handles tomorrow. I started it up for a minute and it seems better, the tact is fairly stable. I was even able to get it to red line, before it didn't like to go past 5-6K.

carb clean has nothing on pine-sol. ive had pilot jets so bad they should have been tossed out. soak for a couple hrs. blow. done. like new.

attachment.php

Get the jug from crappy tire.. Soak for 3 mins and start brushing away.. you when you're done, store it again and reuse it to clean other greasy stuff you want to get clean.. like your rims, car's engine bar.. engines bottom end.. greasy micro fibre towels you want to reuse.. your kitchen hoodfan you want to reuse... the list goes on.. more importantly, it's bio degradable and the list goes on...
I prefer this over pinesol as pinesol eats away the metal when you soak it for too long.. as well as flash rust..

Attachments

• 2700000113033.jpg
    2700000113033.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 38

Back
Top Bottom