Tips: Motorcycle as primary mode of transport. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tips: Motorcycle as primary mode of transport.

Live in the city and use my motorcycles as a primary mode of transport for the spring/summer/fall (with last year's winter, I rode well into December and even rode a couple times in February and March). Have a CB550F and an FZ8 naked bike but I'm lucky that I have a garage at home. For my commute I use the FZ8, it's comfortable, easy on the highway and just nice. The CB550F is used just around town.

If you're going to do this, I'd recommend getting good quality gear, either season specific or an all in one, 4 season option. Base layers, heated grips and handguards are all good options for cold weather.

As matricz007 mentioned, with options like Uber, AutoShare and the TTC, I don't feel like I'm missing out on having a car. The only complaint I would make is riding during rush hour traffic in the rain during the summer, just gets too hot.

**Looked as the CB500x before getting the Fz8 and decided it was just a little too small, engine wise. Was also lucky that the FZ8 was being discontinued and ended up being cheaper than the CB500x

Would you use a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi R8, Nissian GTR, or other super cars as a daily commuter?

If you're answer is yes, you're retarded. Same logic applies to SS bikes

SS as a primary transport is the worst idea. Nowhere to put things. And uncomfortable as ****.

*Looked as the CB500x before getting the Fz8 and decided it was just a little too small, engine wise. Was also lucky that the FZ8 was being discontinued and ended up being cheaper than the CB500x

You got that deal too....kid is still crowing about his. :D

I've been commuting by bike since 2006 and lived downtown until 2013. It's totally doable as you describe using uber and car sharing... I did it for a while on a sport bike and it was ok, but I would advise against the SS. The dual sport is great for downtown commuting, especially with the options for luggage and amazing ability to navigate congested or busy roadways... I've tried it with a KLR and a VStrom which were both good, but the KLR is gutless. I would also use a Versys for commuting, or any bike that was upright and had a good power delivery.

Unless you actually like cruisers, I would not use one as a daily commuter - they have a lower seat height which prevents the ability to see well ahead into traffic.

So what would my little 300 be considered? I ride it at least 10x as much as I drive my car. The car gets out maybe once a week. I consider my bike my primary means of transport and it works just fine for 90% of daily life. Obviously not that great for shopping and moving the family around but... is it really worth insurance and car payments for once a week (if that)?

油井緋色;2420367 said:
Would you use a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi R8, Nissian GTR, or other super cars as a daily commuter?

not really. You can still park a SS for free. I commute on a sport.

If I lived and worked in a big city I would be a urban warrior on on of these little beasties...

attachment.php

This is cool as well..

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2013-Honda-Ruckus-Scooter-0.jpg
    2013-Honda-Ruckus-Scooter-0.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 91
  • KTM-E-Speed-electric-scooter-concept-6.jpg
    KTM-E-Speed-electric-scooter-concept-6.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 94
That KTM looks like a mobility scooter for tweens. "Its really pointy so its get more aerodynamicals."

My only vehicle is my gsxr 750. I love commuting on it, going to twisties on it and of course going out with it too. No complaints. Have full insurance and you should have some peace of mind. No bike is immune to stealing. I remember few days ago someone's beginner bike and a scooter was stolen.

I even have a gel seat which makes long rides piece of cake. I dont go fast but I like the fact that power is available to me whenever I want it. Trust me, acceleration is fun.

Please note that I live and work very close to downtown and everything is walking distance to me. I will look into a car though during the winter time. If you like an SS, have riding experience from before and can afford insurance, go for it. Do not listen to people who are telling you to avoid these bikes. Remember its all in your wrist.

Whatever you get, be safe out there.

That KTM looks like a mobility scooter for tweens. "Its really pointy so its get more aerodynamicals."

LOL.. now that I look at it again, you're kinda right. I'd still take it over this..
attachment.php

Attachments

• em-mobility-scooter-rain-cape.jpg
    em-mobility-scooter-rain-cape.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 88
You crazy man.

If you can get around fine all year without a vehicle and you just want an SS as a toy for evenings and weekends I would say go for it.

But if youre planning on actually using this as a daily driver during the summer youre crazy man. I mean, you could do it. But youd have to REALLY love your bike.

My only vehicle is my gsxr 750. I love commuting on it, going to twisties on it and of course going out with it too. No complaints. Have full insurance and you should have some peace of mind. No bike is immune to stealing. I remember few days ago someone's beginner bike and a scooter was stolen.

I even have a gel seat which makes long rides piece of cake. I dont go fast but I like the fact that power is available to me whenever I want it. Trust me, acceleration is fun.

Please note that I live and work very close to downtown and everything is walking distance to me. I will look into a car though during the winter time. If you like an SS, have riding experience from before and can afford insurance, go for it. Do not listen to people who are telling you to avoid these bikes. Remember its all in your wrist.

Whatever you get, be safe out there.

Power is always available on most bikes...just on some you might need to drop a gear first.

Just saying, because there seems to be a trend here and a few other places that SS are fast and everything else is almost too slow for the roads...when that couldn't be further from the truth. If it were, it would mean the only safe cars would need 500hp or more, because even a 300hp V6 would be 'too slow to be safe'.

Also unless I misread, if everything is in walking distance why even ride the bike to work? If you gear up, it would probably take twice as long as just walking.

油井緋色;2420367 said:

I wouldn't say that...those cars would at least be comfortable and protect from the elements...so if you were loaded I could see commuting in one (like Leno probably does).

That said, I'd equate an SS bike more to an Ariel Atom or F1 car as a daily commuter. I mean, a SS bike 'can' be used for commuting, but the ergonomics and design of the vehicle is essentially for high speeds at the track...not crawling at 10km/h on the Gardiner or Bloor St for over an hour.

Last edited:
油井緋色;2420367 said:

Or retardedly rich.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Op, if i were you i would get yamaha xsr900, atleast it got some style. Commuting on a SS in stop and go downtown makes you look like a poser motogp wannabe.

Power is always available on most bikes...just on some you might need to drop a gear first.

Yes power is available but raw acceleration isnt. I dont know man, I have spoken to plenty of non SS riders and they always complain about lack of raw power.

Just saying, because there seems to be a trend here and a few other places that SS are fast and everything else is almost too slow for the roads...when that couldn't be further from the truth. If it were, it would mean the only safe cars would need 500hp or more, because even a 300hp V6 would be 'too slow to be safe'.

Well you gotta admit that SS bikes are fast. But I would not say everything is else too slow either. Different power delivery depending on acceleration and torque etc.

Also unless I misread, if everything is in walking distance why even ride the bike to work? If you gear up, it would probably take twice as long as just walking.

No, you did not misread, I have not elaborated properly. Groceries, bank, doctor's office etc is within walking distance. I still have to ride to work or take bus and subway.

That said, I'd equate an SS bike more to an Ariel Atom or F1 car as a daily commuter. I mean, a SS bike 'can' be used for commuting, but the ergonomics and design of the vehicle is essentially for high speeds at the track...not crawling at 10km/h on the Gardiner or Bloor St for over an hour.

Yes the traffic does suck. However if the route that is congested, is short, then it really is not that bad. If insurance was no concern, then I would have a second bike just to tool around the city, go to work and teach my friends how to ride. Probably would have a cbr125. Btw, how much is your insurance on cbr650fa?

OP, I have a feeling that you are kind of leaning towards the ss bikes. Then get one. Do not listen to ppl who are discouraging you. We are not the ones who are paying your bills nor living your life. If you have access to a car through family during winter, then I dont see why a bike cant be your primary mode of transportation. If you want more information on cost etc, PM me.

Btw, how much is your insurance on cbr650fa

Insurance is sort of apples to oranges when comparing between people...but as I did quote out a 2014 CBR600RRA before deciding on the CBR650FA, the 650 was about $500-1000/year cheaper to insure, depending on providers. Depending on who I go with, renewal will be either $800/year or $1100/year (so $67/month or $92/month), with the differences being the amount of coverage and if it is bundled with car and home.

Again, I sort of get the SS thing...I almost bought one myself. But after spending a little over an hour on one at around traffic speeds, it no longer appealed to me as much. Much like you said, if insurance was the same for one or multiple bikes, I'd love to keep the 650 for most of my riding and add a dedicated SS if all I want to do is hit roads up north or trailer it down south...but that isn't the case. I also didn't find that big of a power difference between the CBR600RRA and CBR650FA below 120km/h, which added to my decision. The 600 doesn't make tons of power until the upper RPM range and ram-air comes into effect, which doesn't exactly happen within the legal limits.

Really really liked the VFR800F as well, but it was too big (physically) and too expensive for my tastes atm.

Last edited:
I have never lived downtown Toronto (just moved to Ontario) but my vote would go towards the CB500x. Seems like a perfect city run about. Plus the savings on insurance over a supersport would be substantial.

Back
Top Bottom