Tips: Motorcycle as primary mode of transport. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tips: Motorcycle as primary mode of transport.

Buell XB9 if you can handle the Harley vibes.. Had one for a few years. Amazing around town with it's super short wheelbase and 90ft lbs torque, yet as capable as any SS in the tight twisties, and in some ways better

10buell-xb9sx.jpg

Maybe I live under a rock but I've never even heard of the XB9 :D

It's definitely got its own style. I like it.

This is why I love my Versys as a commuter / many purpose bike. Maybe a few of these things will help you narrow it down:
Fun to ride
Comfortable riding position; even when caught in traffic
Tall screen option for weather protection
It's reliable, and I can do most maintenance with limited tools
Lockable, Aluminum cases, which have been proven to hold up if the bike is knocked over, and I can get beer, groceries, and go to the gym in one trip
crash bars
It ain't no beauty queen, so I'm not worried as much about theft or it getting dirty / wet
Seat height is manageable for my 5'9" height
Tons of other farkles available (mine has extra lighting, loud horn, heated grips, and various other doo dads)
Very low purchase price
Im not saying to get a Versys, because it sounds like thats not the direction you're headed, but the things I listed are worth considering on whatever you get.

+1 for the Versys. I love this thing, it gets better the more I ride. I commute with it in the KW area. It truly is a versatile bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the versys. This is my second season on mine. That's the first time in 10 years or so that I've even ridden the same bike all summer and it's staying right here with me. I added a set of tkc80 tires, ravetech skid plate, heated grips, Mra Vario screen, and givi v35's. She's good to go!

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Another option...lol

[video=youtube;dJfSS0ZXYdo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfSS0ZXYdo[/video]

Another consideration for me riding around town is visibility. A taller bike lets you see over most cars, and puts you at eye level to many SUV's & trucks.

Another consideration for me riding around town is visibility. A taller bike lets you see over most cars, and puts you at eye level to many SUV's & trucks.
Yeah i find that i get a lot of nods from lifted pickups (at least theyre not trying to run me over)

A lot of good points.... I have safely dismounted off of the SS perch. I am definitely leaning towards a cruiser. As a kid I loved the Triumph Bonneville and thought, hey why not get one? I also like the Yamaha Bolt and Harley Sportster. The former dirt bike rider in me wants to get a Scrambler (Yamaha, Ducati or Triumph), but I think the first three will serve my everyday travels better. (saddle bags, cargo racks etc)

Ditto on the heating grips, really warm socks. I plan to go all out on my gear. Again since I am not buying a car, I am allocating some of that money make sure my trip is as comfortable as possible.

Get a klr. Unless youre vertically challenged then i wouldnt suggest it but for just commuting its the bees knees. Highway commuting maybe not but city for three reasons:
- dead reliable single cylinder
- good on gas and comfy
- no one wants to steal a klr

And coming from dirtbikes it will feel like a very natural transition due to the ergos.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I 2nd this.

As for the highway riding... It isn't too bad, as long as you're not doing an hour at 100+ and the wind is managable. My commute takes me from hamilton/403 to oakville/dorval area. If traffic crawls, or its really windy out, I just hop off at guelph and run harvester to burloak, to the qew to bronte, then run north service road to either 3rd line or dorval. Or take dundas. But I've also ridden out to lake kasshabog (havelockish area. about 240km on the 401/115/7) and it wasn't too bad, unless I was passing a transport truck. also frequently take highway 6 to the 401 into waterloo and it holds fine. Hands might go a bit numb from vibrations, but stops for gas/stretching legs help remedy that.

It also has the advantage of sitting up high. You can see over cars better, and it makes it easier for people to see you (like a left turner.) You can put a topbox and side panniers on it with minor work involvement.

And they can be had for cheap. I went a bit older, and jumped on an '04 for 2150 last year. I heard the 2nd gen (07+) is even better on the highway.

I commute on my CB500F about 3 to 4 days/week now and love it! Cheap on gas, enjoyable commute, more than enough power for city streets (pretty much any bike will be enough power for city streets) and I magically get to the office way faster than by car...go figure!
Plus with the hard luggage I've got everything I need for the day. One side has rain gear, air pump, fuel siphon, etc. The other bag has lunch, gym clothes, and most important of all....coffee mug for my Tim's... I leave my day to day pants/shoes at the office and I have a change room so I change there.

Not sure how much fun it is on an SS...but to me the hard luggage is the most important part in making the commute manageable. If you can get good luggage on an SS I say go for it...but check insurance first.

Back
Top Bottom